Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Fan

Default Charging port broke!!! :((

My charging port broke today!! A black strip of plastic that holds a row of pins in place came out when I unplugged my charger! I called Dell (not telling them it's a beta phone) and they guessed it was but said they'd have a manager take a look at my case on Monday.

I always take care of my phone, I have a case and a screen protector. I didn't expect this to happen. The rep said that if it's a beta phone there would be no warranty support.

Anyone else deal with this issue?

If they don't offer to help, I could fix it myself (lots of phone repair experience) but I have no idea where I can get a replacement jack for the inside of the phone. I suppose I could wire in an iPhone jack...

Last edited by sina3001; 09-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Charging port broke!!! :((

Ouch!, I've had that happen with usb ports before, I hope it's not going to be an issue with the streak, that is a very complicated and busy connector they've chosen.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steep View Post
Ouch!, I've had that happen with usb ports before, I hope it's not going to be an issue with the streak, that is a very complicated and busy connector they've chosen.
I agree. I wish the internal part was on a ribbon connector, as it could be replaced easily.

I intend to use an outboard charger most of the time to save wear.

Last edited by Phogg; 09-25-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Technophile

Ouch. That sucks.

I don't like the nature of the proprietary port, but it feels solid to me... and less likely to wear and tear compared to micro usb. But, thats just my opinion/guess.

Will a wireless charging pad work? I never used one of those or even looked into it.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Obsessed

Yeh happened to mine too within a couple of weeks.

Was a good thing actually made it much easier to plug in and out. Ridiculous how stiff it is out of the box.

Had to send it back last week though, bought a dodgy mem card of ebay that screwed the phone - started getting ridiculously hot and wouldn't work with sd cards in.
Hard times.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Tech Obsessed

I've seen it written that 99% of memory cards on eBay are fakes and I reckon that's pretty accurate. Buy your cards from a known good supplier, they seem to cost a bit more, but if what you get off eBay is fake and going to break your phone then....