Viewing comics on the UX180P

UK reader Dominik asked about how well suited the UX180P is for viewing comic book pages. I’m glad he included a few links to check out because I probably would’ve ended up at a My Little Pony cartoon site on my own. Imagine my surprise when the first link I clicked on began with something about burning flesh. Hmm. Not exactly a comic about rainbows, I guess.

UX in landscape mode
While the images were loading, they looked very promising. I was certain that viewing comics on the UX, even when in landscape mode, would be an enjoyable experience.

Page_2_landscape_loading

But then the images finished loading.

Page_2_landscape

Page_1_landscape

It turns out, though, that this is just how the pages look, regardless of screen size.

Here’s a screenshot taken from a 15-inch monitor:

Page_1_on_15inch

UPDATE: Click here to read about how to fix this "problem."

UX in portrait mode

Changing the screen orientation made a tremendous difference and is definitely the  way to go.

Page_2_portrait

Page_1_portrait

Thanks for your question, Dominik. Let me know what happens to the burning flesh…

11 thoughts on “Viewing comics on the UX180P

• August 4, 2006 at 2:23 am

Hi,

this is the way any large image will look like – IE automatically resizes it to fit the screen if the image is larger than the screen itself. If you click on the image (or right-click, not sure now), you can switch back to the full size of the image – probably much better for comics viewing, I imagine.

• August 4, 2006 at 2:56 am

Can’t you click on the image, then click on the little button that appears on the lower right hand corner to make it zoom to actual size instead of sticking with the automatic resize? That should keep it as readable as it was when it was loading, and just need a little bit of scrolling to see the whole comic.

• August 4, 2006 at 3:40 am

it looks like you have Internet Explorer’s “Automatic Image Resizing” turned on (found under Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Multimedia). If you turn this off, the image should stay large when in landscape mode.

• August 4, 2006 at 6:21 pm

i was too frustrated with browser experience with u both on firefox and ie.
    just thought of trying opera…
    was zapped..i mean it is designed for u series looks like.
    try it and then say..best features are autofit, fullscreen and buitin rss and opening all tabs the last i was working on ,in the next windows session

• August 5, 2006 at 10:53 pm

MANY thanks for checking this out. Your browser problems have been solved I see :)

Could I ask for a further test? If you download the images (right click, save as…) and then view them with a bit more advanced picture viewer like Irfan View and then view them full screen (In Irfan View you open the file and then you just hit enter) you don’t lose any screen property to program GUIs.

Irfan View is freeware and availlable at http://www.irfanview.com/

Many thanks.

(The pages are from a Marvel Comic called Deathlok – starts great and then becomes boring)

(I really should register with blogger…)

• August 10, 2006 at 1:59 am

For comics (or even image viewing of any kind) here is an AMAZING and free program called CDisplay: http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay

I’ve used this for about a year on my PC, and it’s just amazing. I don’t have my UX180P yet (it’s on order) but I bet it’ll work great.

I urge anyone interested in reading comics on a PC, portable or otherwise to try this out. It’s designed specifically for viewing digitized comics.

And it’s FREE! :)

• November 30, 2006 at 8:30 pm

Wow, I tried out the model Best Buy has on display and it’s really nice. However, I don’t have the coinage for this beautiful device at this time. I still am looking for a good way to view comics on a portable LCD screen.

I download a lot of comics, can be in zip, rar, cbr/cbz, jpg and png primarily. I am looking very hard at purchasing a device dedicated solely to reading these away from my computer. My restrictions are: $250 preferably, $400 MAX and a bare minimum of 4.3″ screen, preferably 7″+. Has to be able to read images in any of the above formats and do so nibbly (i.e. load images quickly and be able to pan around, if zooming is required). So far I have considered the following devices:

-PSP (480px screen, too small for shrunken pages at this resolution so zooming and panning is required)
    -Archos AV700 (7″ screen probably doesn’t require zooming and panning, but needs to be able to do so with double splash pages)
    -Archos 604 (4.3″ screen, again not ideal since would require constant zoom and panning, but is VERY nimble with pictures)
    -WebDT 375 Wireless Tablet PC (excellent screen size but I am completely unfamiliar with Windows CE .Net 4.2 OS)

I would appreciate any feedback at all on my mission, especially since it is so nice to find a site that is actually discussing using the UX180P for exactly what I’d want it for.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• December 1, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Hi Erik. Personally, I don’t think the PSP or Archos 604 are good choices because of the screen size. Text will appear so small and you’ll be doing so much zooming that using it will likely become cumbersome and unenjoyable.

I haven’t heard good things about the AV700’s screen, as its resolution is only 480 x 284. This may result in grainy images and fuzzy text, which definitely isn’t ideal for viewing comics.

I don’t know much about the WebDT or the OS, but it looks like the best choice among the group for what you want to do. You can read more about the OS here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/prevver/ce.net/
    I’ve used Windows CE 2.0 (predecessor of 3.0, which is the predecessor of CE .NET) without any problems before, so I’m sure the newer OS is fine.

The only problems I see with the WebDT, other than the fact that it’s pretty outdated and may be difficult to service should anything go wrong, are its weight (1.9 pounds) and size (9.6 inches wide). You may be better off with a low-end laptop.

• December 3, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, Jenn!

The size and weight don’t concern me, heck I used to use a Toshiba 3505 Tablet PC with a 12.1″ screen to read comics. Unfortunately some really awesome person broke into my home and stole it (along with every other cool gadget I had and 200 DVD’s).

What I am still confused about is what CE .Net 4.0 looks like. Is it like Windows Mobile? I’ve used that, had 3 PDA’s before, or is it like a mini version of XP? And does anyone know if it can be upgraded to the new CE .Net 6?

For myself, a regular laptop is not an option. I did that for over a year before getting a Tablet. That just doesn’t cut it for me.

I know I’m not the only person looking for a device like this. Too bad I don’t know any Venture Capital companies that I could try and pitch a business plan based around an “iPod for Comic Books” to.

Thanks for the info and any other suggestions in advance.

• January 10, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I just received my webdt 375.
    Windows .NET (CE…whatever) is before windows mobile. It’s a dumbed down version seemingly, much more useful for an industrial setting I guess (don’t hog much memory).
    I’m going to attempt to upgrade it to windows mobile to get some of the features of the newer OS.. will post with results when I get around to it.