UMPC

Samsung Q1P now awakens slowly

This weekend, the Samsung Q1P UMPC I’ve been using for the past 7 months decided to become a lazy sleepyhead.

Q1p_awakening

It has been working overtime since my iBook died a few weeks ago, but I think it’s dragging its feet a little too much when it’s time to wake up. Back in April, my Q1P took 42 seconds to arise from its slumber (i.e., hibernation). Now, after months of routine optimization using Uniblue tools, virus and spyware scans, and hard drive defrags, it takes over 2 minutes!

What happened?

No, really, I’m asking. What happened?

Pretty much since the day I unboxed it, I’ve kept it hibernating whenever it wasn’t in use. I restarted and completely shut it down occasionally just for good measure, but for the part, when the Q1P wasn’t in my hands, it was sleeping.

When the Q1 keyboard arrived at my door in March, I plugged it into the UMPC’s right USB 2.0 port and left it there. I kept it plugged in almost all the time, hibernating, awakening, restarting, shutting down, and cold booting the Q1P in the process with no ill effects. Depending on my table space, sometimes I also used a wireless laser mouse with a USB receiver, usually keeping the receiver plugged in when the system was hibernating.

I haven’t timed bootup from hibernation since April, but I never noticed any unusual delays. In other words, as far as I was concerned, everything was just fine.

Until a few days ago.

Q1p_progressbar

That’s when my Q1P decided it was overworked, needed a break, and would take its sweet time waking up (not that its previous 42-second time was anything to brag about). It just started hanging, getting stuck at about the two-thirds mark (shown above).

It wasn’t until I unplugged the USB receiver and keyboard that it would awaken, and only after being put into hibernation again. Having both devices plugged in never had any impact on resume time before, so I just figured it was some sort of glitch. I ran through all of my usual optimization and system clean-up methods, anyway, just to be sure.

Everything was okay yesterday (with the peripherals plugged in), but now today it’s happening again. The only difference is that if I wait for 2 minutes, the progress bar will finish loading and the sleepy system will awaken to full capacity.

If I unplug everything before disturbing the Q1P’s rest, it gets moving about 30 seconds faster, which is better but still not as "good" as it was before.

Any ideas on what the problem could be and/or how to fix it?

11 thoughts on “Samsung Q1P now awakens slowly

• I do not have an idea but I would venture a guess – maybe you have installed an update that does not work well with the USB devices? If you can pinpoint at least roughly when the problems started, you can review list of installed updates and see what has been installed since then. Worst case, you can do the same with System Restore…. keep us updated!

• Maybe try a system restore/rollback to a few weeks ago, under the premise that an automatic windows update mucked something up?

• Yep, I think a system restore is definitely in my future. I don’t install much on the unit (over 75% of the hard drive is still free), so it must’ve been something Windows did “for my benefit.”

@ Bruno: What’s the resume time from hibernate on your Q1U?

Thanks!

• Jenn: I have just tested it and the time to resume from hibernate is 90 seconds. Remember, hibernation actually turns the computer off, resuming should take LONGER than switching the computer on from a switched-off state. I rarely ever use hibernate on the Q1U or on my laptop – what is the point?
    I much prefer to use the Sleep state – and Q1U wakes up from that one in 2-3 seconds, damn near instant!

• Hmm.

No, awakening from hibernation is always much faster than a cold boot. My UX180P awakens in under 30 seconds (used to be 15 seconds, but I’ve been slacking on keeping it optimized and clean); it takes about 2 minutes to cold boot. The Q1P used to perform similarly: 42 seconds from hibernate, nearly 3 minutes to cold boot.

Resuming from standby is, as you say, much faster (6 to 12 seconds on both machines), but standby in general is less power efficient than hibernation.

That’s what I always thought, anyway.

• Hmm indeed.
    I am by no means a hardware expert but the way I understand it, hibernation actually switches off the computer but in addition to that it saves your current session onto the disk – and loads it again when you start the computer. The only advantage hibernation is against switching off the computer is that when you resume, you will be right where you left off, all your applications will be open etc.
    I have just tried it and while the Q1U resumed from hibernation in 90 seconds, it booted from being switched off in 70 seconds. I get comparable results (hibernation slower than booting) on my laptop also.
    You are right, sleel mode does use a bit of power unlike the hibernation mode – but it seems to be really just a little bit. I haven’t lacked power because of it. I will try and see how much battery power is used in the sleep mode over, say, 24 hours.

• Update: I did indeed put my Q1U to sleep, woke it up and checked the battery level – only to realize that I forgot what the battery level was when I put it to sleep :-) Oh weel, I will try again!

• LOL! That sounds like something I would do!

I’ve never heard of a cold boot being faster than a resume from hibernation before, so I’m quite confused by your results. The only thing I can think of to explain the huge difference in our times is the number of apps that are running when we put out systems into hibernate mode. I close all of my applications all the time.

Are you getting the same results on XP too?

• I rarely have a large number of apps running at the same time, I tend to close them when I don’t need them. Hibernation always seemed kind of slow to me, that’s why I never use it. It sounds logical to me that hibernation would be slower than cold boot as cold boot is part of the resume-from-hibernation process… I will test it some more.
    I no longer have any XP machine so can’t test it… are you getting same results on both XP and Vista?

• When you hibernate a computer, all the of RAM contents are copied to a special part of the HDD (the part devoted to hibernation), when you turn the computer back on, this file is loaded back onto the RAM, which completely bypasses booting into the OS, logging on, relaunching services/applications, etc. Thus, a resume from hibernate should indeed be much faster then a cold boot. This is the reason in which I almost never shut down my UX180, I set the power switch to hibernate when I press it, the resume is much faster then a cold boot, and because of this, less battery life is wasted because it uses the HDD less then doing a cold boot (the most energy costly times are when the HDD is spinning up).

Also for those who weren’t sure, the difference between Standby and Hibernate is that when you put a computer into Standby, the contents of the RAM are preserved, the computer is consuming just enough power to keep that information alive (think of it as a super low power state), for this reason, your battery will slowly drain while the computer is in standby, whereas when you hibernate a computer, RAM contents are copied to the HDD, and the computer fully shuts down. Resume from standby is faster then hibernate because there is no file to be sent to the RAM, its already there, I’d recommend Standby for Desktops, and Hibernate for mobile devices.

I did some quick timing using a stop watch –

Hibernate –

Into – 21 seconds (to power light off)
    Out of – 19 seconds (to login screen)

Standby –

Into – 9 seconds (to power light off)
    Out of – 7 seconds (to login screen)

Shutdown – 22 seconds (to power light off)
    Startup – 52 seconds (to login screen)

Also its important to note that your Hibernate time will vary based on how much RAM you are using, so if you have a whole bunch of background services and applications in your taskbar, you could potentially have a longer resume from hibernate than a cold boot, however I think that would be a pretty extreme case.

Its very strange to hear that the computer wouldn’t even turn on until you unplugged the USB accessories, I’m quite perplexed myself, however the fact that its taking a long time to start up, and that it seems to have something to do with those peripherals makes me think that their services/background apps are the root of the problem. Some applications don’t like to play nice when Windows asks them to hibernate, this can happen especially for applications that try to access the internet, because Windows basically removes their connection to the web, but tells them to stay in the same state as when you hit the standby/hibernate button (ie: with a connection), then when you resume, they clamor for their connection, which might itself not even be back online yet.

I would try downloading an application called Startup Control Panel – http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml its a very nice, small, and awesome freeware application that makes it easy to make programs not start up when your computer starts. I can’t stand when applications that no one would ever use often enough to require that they run on startup have the nerve to make themselves run on startup by default. For instance, Quicktime, sure I need it once and a while to play the occasional .mov file, but do I need it to run every time I start the computer? What this leads to is many programs hogging up your RAM, which increases your Hibernation into/out of times (not to mention slows the computer in general). So basically just install the tiny application, go to your control panel, find Startup Control Panel, and go through the different tabs, and uncheck the things that you know are not necessary (icons often help to know which application the file name refers to), if you aren’t sure what it is, I’d leave it alone until you do a scan of your processes and are sure what they are. Once you are done this, restart the computer and check your hibernation times again.

• Benz: Thanks, now the whole hibernation thing makes sense to me!
    I still do not know why am I seeing something else with my computers, but that may be a one-off phenomenon or something I am doing wrong.