AppleFeatures

HTC Touch Diamond vs. Samsung Instinct vs. Apple iPhone

Diamond_instinct_iphone

Since the photo above (click for larger view) was not done to scale, here’s a quick comparison chart containing the main specs of the newly unveiled HTC Touch Diamond (videos), CTIA-announced Samsung Instinct, and some obscure nearly year-old touchscreen phone they’re most often compared to.

HTC

ROM: 256MB
RAM: 192MB
microSD card slot
(up to 8GB)

Flash: 8GB, 16GB

Size
4.0" x 2.0" x 0.45" 4.6" x 2.2" x 0.49" 4.5" x 2.4" x 0.46"
Weight
3.9 ounces 4.4 ounces 4.8 ounces
Display
2.8" (640 x 480) 3.1" (240 x 432) 3.5" (480 x 320)
Network Tri-band GSM

Talk time:
  Up to 5.75 hours

Talk time:
  Up to 8 hours
Standby:
  Up to 10.5 days
Photos Gallery (HTC) Gallery (CNET) Gallery (Apple)

Which one would you choose?

Personally, I’m still waiting for the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1‘s possible mid-September release before retiring my AT&T Tilt.

18 thoughts on “HTC Touch Diamond vs. Samsung Instinct vs. Apple iPhone

• Great post, Jenn. Saved me from doing the legwork myself :P

On a side note, I like the features you’ve been doing lately. Nice change of pace and interesting to read. Keep it up and I’ll keep coming back!

• Thanks, hitrax. I wish I could’ve found complete info on the Instinct. The official microsite, samsunginstinct.com, doesn’t include a full list of specs for some reason.

• Here is a decent physical size comparison. Sizeasy is a pretty cool website for stuff like this.

• Oh man, I want the Diamond soooo bad. I don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t wait for the release!!

• It seems like there are many conflicting information on the Touch diamond. Is this supposed to be a tri-band or quad-band phone, and is there support for US’s AT&T 3G? Looking at the product spec at HTC website says it’s a tri-band GSM with non-US (900,2100mhz) 3G. If so, that sucks!

• no one mentioned that the iPhone is incapable of conventional MMS where as the Instinct will have that capability. I’m not so certain that the diamond will be able to either since no Windows Mobile-based phone is capable of doing such.

• The big difference IMO is that the Instinct is going to be available for under $300.

• This June there is going to be a great fight between the Champion: Apple iPhone and the Challenger: Sprint’s Instinct. I have a reason saying Apple iPhone and Sprint’s Instinct even though Samsung is manufacturer for Instinct and At&T is a service provider for iPhone.

I believe this is going to be a handicapped match for Sprint, as iPhone is not just a phone. Steve Jobs and Apple is a strong brand value , backed by At&t’s service, they have largest subscriber base. Also the fact that iPhone was sensational hit when it was launched.

Let the battle begin…

• WOW,HTC Diamand is a perfect phone I really want.I can’t want for it’s been reased.By the way, Who cares about Samsung Instinct in this world?We are talking about the best handset,HTC&Iphone,here in the world,not Samsung Instinct.

• Apple 3G is going to break all other phones

New phone has few additional features:
    1) Network supported
    UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

2) Support A-GPS

3) additional sensors :
    Ambient light sensor. = brightens the display according to light outside
    Proximity sensor.= bring iphone near to your ear, it immediately turns off the display to save power

4) Price (Last Nail for coffin for other phones)
    199$ for 8GB phone, and 16GB for 299$.. hurray

• 1) N95
    Unless ur primary purpose is to take pics? It’s cam is it’s strong pt.. Other den that? Well.. It has a smaller screen than Iphone.. Audio and video viewing ease pales to iphone3G. No touch screen/multitouch.. No match in my opinion.

2) HTC Diamond
    Good contender.. However.. it’s main flaw is… It’s laggy interface despite it’s good specs. I seen the youtube video of a demo and it’s shocking that there can be lags and all despite it’s powerful processing power.. Not sure about the stability of the OS yet too..

3) Samsung I900
    Also a good contender.. Nice widgets options and all.. Simple and all.. I read the review but doesn’t make me wanna get it still.. And video has some bugs still… Not sure about the stability of the OS yet too..

3G Iphone..
    Pros: 3G means faster speed
    New Apps Support ( Tons of great apps/games etc will be coming your way)
    Improved audio system vs old iphone
    Cheaper den before!! (No competitors can match it’s price/features)
    Great interface (Everything thought of well)
    Easy implementation of writing multiple languages (Chinese/English)(Best so far on a mobile device)
    Push Notification service vs windows task manager (Uses less batt/processing)

Cons: Wad still a 2MP Cam with no bells/whistles?
    No expandable memory
    No front cam (Though I won’t be needing 1 anytime soon)
    Themes support

• 1) N95

2) HTC Diamond

3) Samsung I900

3G Iphone..
    Pros: 3G means faster speed
    New Apps Support ( Tons of great apps/games etc will be coming your way)
    Improved audio system vs old iphone
    Cheaper den before!! (No competitors can match it’s price/features)
    Great interface (Everything thought of well)
    Push Notification service vs windows task manager (Uses less batt/processing)

Cons: Wad still a 2MP Cam with no bells/whistles?
    No expandable memory
    No front cam (Though I won’t be needing 1 anytime soon)
    Themes support

• The instinct comes with 32MB of flash memory, 2gig mini-SD included, 8mb capable.
    Two batteries which are swapable, (iPhone is soldered in).
    Although it is getting bad reviews for its web browser.

• what about compatibility? mac vs pc? iphone is reportedly compatible to be synch’d with both, but the samsung and diamond touch don’t seem to be easily synch’d to either machine. although there seems to be a software “missing synch” that will compensate for the mac users… seems annoying

this samsung is a copy of the iphone…iphone rules…htc worst than iphone..iphone is good…not a copy…iphone original..

htc diamond is the best

• I accept the insticnt and my acquaintance has the iphone i’ve use it a brace of times. In my assessment the instisct is better. The iphone awning break calmly and you can’t put allowance you accept to pay the abounding amount again. Demography pictures is adamantine back you demography one of yourself because you cannot see the button. Also you can’t accelerate account argument unless you use your email. I rather stick to my aptitude instead of the iphone. but i do accept an 32gig itouch.