Apple

Where will you be on iPhone 3G launch day?

Iphone_3g_launchTo prepare for next week’s 8 a.m. launch of the iPhone 3G, both Apple and AT&T have released videos (guided tour and how-to clips) and answers to common questions to keep the lines moving and the confusion/chaos to a minimum. There’s even a ridiculously named "Get iReady Checklist" (PDF) that customers are encouraged to print out (great, something for people to push into cashiers’ faces!).

More important than the two companies’ plans for you, however, are the plans you’ve made for yourself. Have you already taken off from work? Are you fake coughing at meetings this week so everyone understands why you called in sick on July 11th? Will you camp out in front of the Apple Store the night before? Two nights before? Three?

Because of our timezone, Hawaii (where I live) will be the last place on earth to get the iPhone 3G on launch day. We’re GMT -10, which means we’re 3 hours behind California, 6 hours behind New York, 11 hours behind London, and 19 hours behind Japan. My husband and I are also vampires, so 8 a.m. is actually just a few hours past our bedtime. In other words, I’ll be sleeping through liftoff.

Iphone_3g_gt

I’ll head over to Apple or AT&T for my temporary Tilt replacement (the XPERIA X1 is already in line to replace my iPhone 3G) some time in the afternoon or early evening.

If the launch is anything like it was last year, I expect to be home a few hours later, right around the time when everyone is beyond sick of hearing launch-day stories from around the world, has lost count of the number of identical unboxings posted on Flickr and tech blogs, and already knows everything there is to know about the phone because Engadget has already put up their definitive review.

So that’s what I’ll be doing that day. What about you?

11 thoughts on “Where will you be on iPhone 3G launch day?

• I’ll be at my apartment, not caring at all. ;)

• It’s bad enough Apple wants to control all aspects of your life with their products. But now it’s getting ridiculous as Apple is treating everyone like bad students and making everyone do their homework by filling out the questionnaire before heading into their stores on launch day. Regardless I will be in line that day like every other lemming, I’ll see how they handle it as I am planning on not doing my homework! See how they like that!

• I don’t care about the iphone, and will never get one! I will be doing what I normally do, without caring about Apple (as usual).

• Because your timezone Hawaii you are the most (como se dice afortunados) lucky persons in the world, because there aren´t any place in the world like hawaii to open a iphone box. Hello from Asturias (Spain), and sorry for my very bad english.
    XD

• I’ll be at work, just like any other weekday morning.

I’m a Verizon customer, who has no intention of leaving for a phone. So, I only have a passing interest in all of this iphone business.

• I wish it (iPhone2) was a big improvement to get really giddyed up for but its not. The only thing new is 3G & this should of been the first Gen. Here’s to looking forward to the iPhone3. I’m more looking foward to see what the updated touch will be like. Where are the M528’s & Archos 606’s at? Its driving me nuts!

• When someone figured out how to get the iPhone 3G on ATT without the $30/month data plan, let me know and I’ll buy one.

• @ imgeL: There’s talk that a 3G Archos could be unveiled as early as next week in London…

@ benz: Assuming it’s possible to do with an existing AT&T plan, you could opt for the contract-free iPhone and pay $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB) upfront. Then if you wait until someone unlocks it (hackers will make quick work of it, I say, despite it being under heavier lock-and-key than before), you could use the $20/month original iPhone data plan or the GoPhone $20/month unlimited data plan with it.

Paying $20 instead of $30 per month would only save you $240 over two years though, which wouldn’t cover the cost of taking the contract-free route if you actually stayed with AT&T. Then again, $599 is what people paid last year for the original 8GB iPhone on launch day, so maybe it all comes out the same.

• I’ll be continuing my love affair with Verizon, my 9 effortlessly synched email accounts via my BlackBerry Curve, waiting for the BlackBerry Bold to come out, and then possibly maybe, for the NEXT iPhone to be released next year.

It is so nice to always to have something to look forward to!

• What’s a 3G Iphone ? I am constantly amused by folks who will camp out overnight and wait in line in freezing rain/excessive heat to pay $600 bucks for a cell phone…might as well put a ring in your nose attach a string and ask Steve Jobs to yank your chain whenever he needs amusement…really people…please don’t act like silly schoolgirls over a phone.

• I can not understand why some Gente waste their time waiting in line for something just to get an item first. Remember the price drop after a few weeks with iPhone 1.