FeaturesUMPC

Willcom D4 (Sharp WS016SH) size comparisons

Willcom_d4_size_comps

Measuring 7.4 x 3.3 x 1.0 inches, the Willcom D4 sounds quite large for a UMPC with a 5-inch display. But in person, the Menlow-based slider is much more compact than it seems on paper. I actually expected it to be bigger when I unboxed it yesterday. To illustrate this, I’ve rounded up my UMPCs, a few gadgets that were requested by readers, and some more universally known objects around the house for a size-comparison photo shoot. Have a look below.

UMPC Comparisons

Willcom_d4_size_umpc1

Willcom_d4_size_umpc2

The D4 looks very long alongside the HTC Shift, Kohjinsha SC3, Fujitsu LifeBook U810, and Sony Vaio UX180P.

Willcom_d4_size_shift1

Willcom_d4_size_shift2

Willcom_d4_size_kohji_sc3

Willcom_d4_size_u810

But it’s also much more narrow, making it considerably "shorter" when sitting next to UMPCs that share a similar laptop-style form factor.

Willcom_d4_size_ux1

Willcom_d4_size_ux2

Compared to pure sliders like the UX, however, it’s back to looking long again.

Other Gadget Comparisons

Since the D4 is a "real" UMPC that runs a full-blown Windows operating system on an x86 platform, comparing it to devices that do not share these attributes isn’t really fair. I promised a few readers to do it anyway, though, so here are the photos.

Nokia Internet Tablets (N800 and N810)

Willcom_d4_size_nokia1

Willcom_d4_size_nokia2

Willcom_d4_size_nokia3

HTC Advantage and Sony mylo 2

Willcom_d4_size_advantage

Willcom_d4_size_adv_mylo

Sony PSP

Willcom_d4_size_psp

Sony Vaio TZ Comparisons

Since my primary PC is the Vaio TZ subnotebook and I’m working on it right now, I figured I might as well put it under the lens too.

Willcom_d4_size_tz1

Willcom_d4_size_tz2

Willcom_d4_size_tz3

Common Object Comparisons

And finally, here’s the Willcom D4 with some relatively common items that many of you probably have at home.

Willcom_d4_size_sodacan

Willcom_d4_size_vgames

Willcom_d4_size_office

16 thoughts on “Willcom D4 (Sharp WS016SH) size comparisons

• Could you compare it next to a copy of “Enter the Dragon” with Bruce Lee ? Well you said common householod items right ?

• What do you think is stored on the USB drive in the last photo? ;-)

• I guess it doesn’t seem that bad in size when its compared to the UX like that. How does it perform Jenn?! Post!

• I need to save something for the full review! ;-)

The D4 runs on the same Menlow/Centrino Atom platform (same CPU and chipset) as the Kohjinsha SC3, so the main difference in Vista performance is due to the RAM upgrade in the SC3. It’s the same difference that you’d see in just about any system that went from 1GB to 2GB, really. I’ve yet to run CrystalMark but will do that over the weekend. I’m not sure if the type of HDD used in the D4 will have any impact, but the benchmark should provide at least a cursory answer. I’ll also do some timed tests (cold boot, Firefix launch, sleep, etc.) to put things into a less technical context.

Man, and I thought I had too many gadgets ;-)

Thanks for the comparisons, Jenn…is that one of those new Sharpie stylus pens on the last photo? j/k

I thought the U810 would look *much* bigger in comparison, but it doesn’t. And that Kohjinsha looks much smaller than it did in it’s review. All in all, the D4 looks very manageable…

• The Sharp D4 to me is the only UMPC with more of a functional size. Most of the UMPC’s you compared are too large in their depth to ever be narrow enough to carry in any jacket pocket. That makes them not small enough to be mobile without a briefcase, computer bag or “man purse”.

The devices that are that narrow are too short so they are thumb input only devices. Those while some geeks may think them cool are not a good form factor to be a mobile business persons primary computer. Their input makes them more toys. Full Windows needs a touch type keyboard.

I think it is the best form factor so far but there is room for others to improve on the concept. To me the ideal size of a UMPC would be about the length of the Sharp D4, 7″ to 7.4″ in length. The depth of the D4 could be increased from 3.3″ to 3.6″ to maybe about 4″ depending on the height. If you make the height thinner I think 4″ would be nice.

If you keep the height about the same I would rather see it about 3.6″ to 3.75″. The reason is that most of the clamshell designs of the HPC era which provided the best touch type keyboard input were 3.6 or 3.7″ in depth. The keyboard designs of HP and Psion had larger keys with less wasted space in a space smaller (Psion was 6.9″ x 3.6″ x .90, HP was approximately 7.3″ x 3.7 x 1.3″)

UMPC’s that are smaller than the D4 with thumb inputs have not sold very well. The only UMPC’s selling seem to be the netbooks just becuase they are cheap and provide the same form factor as a laptop. The form factor that has enough demand would be something the size of the D4 for mobile business users whom want a full PC that can be their stand alone one mobile computer. I hope more UMPC companies build upon the D4 form factor and basic size.

• Interesting. The D4 is almost exactly the size of the WiBrain B1H.

You said about the size of the WiBrain:
    “Given its screen size, the B1H is very long. It needs to be quite wide to accommodate the keypads, of course, but users may still be turned off by its size.”
    [http://pocketables.com/2008/05/wibrain-b1h-ump.html]

I guess its not the size.

• @ Chuck: My god, I honestly completely forgot that the Wibrain even existed! You’re absolutely right, though. The B1H and D4 are nearly identical in size. Yet somehow when I look at the D4, my eyes just turn into big hearts. Design wise, there’s just no comparison between the two devices for me.

• Chuck, yes the Wibrain is the same size but the problem with the wibrain to me is that it is a thumb based input. Thus far no thumb based input full windows PC has had much popularity. To me UMPC’s are full windows and what people really want is something providing the same functionality as they are used to and prefer with a laptop but they would like it portable enough to carry in a jacket pocket.

The D4 to me is the first to finally provide a form factor that starts to look and feel more like a pocket laptop. I can not wait to read more of Jenn’s experience with the D4. I also hope more UMPC companies build upon this form factor so that finally more people will have a UMPC worth purchasing and the UMPC’s become more mainstream.

• Chuck while the wibrain is about the same size, the problem to me is that it is just another thumb input PC. Thumb input PC’s have never been popular with mainstream. Mainstream users want a touch type keyboard. Many like me like the idea of UMPC but we want a touch type keyboard jacket pocket PC. I hope more companies build upon this D4 design as that to me is the first UMPC that can be called a laptop in your pocket.

• Jenn,

I was looking at Conics and was wondering if you might be able to comment on your thoughts as to the value of the options they list for the D4.

I belive they have options for a increased version of Vista, docking station, DVD/CD drive, VGA cord, increased battery (but that is an obvious must have),????? If you were using this as your primary mobile device are any of the options must have’s other than the increased 4-5 hour battery?

Jenn, thanks for the comparison pics…I must admit that I am surprised at the size of the D4 when shown alongside the others. Seems too big to me to provide enough utility given its size. Reminds me of my old Sig III…

• @Jenn – I like the D4 looks, also. However, I find that my WiBrain is very functional, and I am not as turned off by the design as you are. (The cost differential helps, too! :) )

I just wanted to point out that your reaction to the WiBrain was not size or functionality, but looks. Understandable.

@Al – each to his own. I find the WiBrain usable for my needs. You won’t. The D4 is closer to your wants.

• Chuck, I respect your personal preferences and am not saying one form is for everyone. For me it is not about looks but more about function. I just want a normal touch type keyboard full PC computer that I can carry in my jacket, thats it. For me functional does not mean thumb input nor anything other than a traditional keyboard, thats just my opinion and desire. I’ve waiting years to upgrade and while the D4 may not be my perfect dream UMPC it appears to be one I can live with.

• @ Al: I wouldn’t recommend upgrading to Vista Ultimate.

The D4 doesn’t have any USB host ports, so you’d at least need a host adapter cable to connect anything to it (e.g., flash drive, external drives). I’m using a generic one to get by while I wait for the dock to arrive.

The dock is expensive but worth it to me because it adds a full set of ports: VGA, audio, 4 USB 2.0 host ports, ethernet, and power. Aside from the power, the D4 doesn’t have any of those ports, most of which are pretty essential if you want to use it as your primary mobile device. I have a feeling the D4 with the extended battery won’t fit into the dock, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

• Jenn,

Thanks! I am still very excited about the Sharp Willcom D4 since it is still the only UMPC that seems like a workable primary computer in leu of my laptop and trusty HP Jornada. I can see other companies copying this and improving on it but as long as it looks like the entended battery will provide enough juice and your future reports do not uncover any real deal breakers I don’t think I’ll wait for competitors to catch up. This might be my first UMPC to last more than the 30 day return date.

On Conics.net they offer a “MonoMobile USB host cable for $9.31; would that suffice to enable connections to VGA, etc when mobile if I did not have the docking station? Would that cable enable multi port adapters and thus while not as slick provide the same capabilities of the docking station? What are your thoughts as more of a computer expert?

Your great user reports and pictures are an incredible resource! I am so eager to read your continued reports and very curious to find out real world results when you get the extended battery and hear how it performs. Great job Jenn!!!!!!! Everyone is linking to your articles as you are the first on the block in the US to get your hands on one it appears thus far. Keep the articles comming before some other site gets a chance to review it!