UMPC

Sony Vaio UX modded with Core 2 Duo U7600

Ux280p_core2duo

See that? It’s the first ever Sony Vaio UX Micro PC to be powered by an Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 processor! Micro PC Talk forum member and modding madman anh cracked open his UX280P yesterday, removed the old 1.2GHz Core Solo U1400 chip, soldered the U7600 onto the motherboard today, and now has the world’s first UX capable of producing the Vista benchmarks you see below.

Ux280p_core2duo_bench

Amazing! The mod, he says, is definitely not for the inexperienced.

It requires an infrared solder station to desolder and solder SMT/SMD components. It also requires all needed equipments to deal with BGA components. And the last one is the experience.

Here’s a better image of what’s displayed on the screen in the first photo:

Ux280p_core2duo_screen

And a motherboard/chip shot for good measure:

Ux280p_core2duo_mb

Fantastic work, anh!

[Micro PC Talk]

6 thoughts on “Sony Vaio UX modded with Core 2 Duo U7600

• Wow. This guy has some serious desoldering skills.

I’m an electronics engineer by trade, and there’s no way I’d crack open my machine and try that. It’s way too easy to screw something like this up, and then you’re sitting there with a two thousand dollar brick.

This guy is a man among boys.

Wonder if this same process can be used to upgrade the RAM in the UX and Fujitsu U-series up to a full 2GB?

Not that I would be trying this…just curious, though.

• The guy says he’ll be trying to replace the existing RAM with a 2GB chip (photo) when he’s ready. He says he doesn’t know if the board will see it and someone else mentions something about EEPROM. Since all I think about when I see that word is some kind of formal dance for Eee PCs (!), the discussion is way over my head.

Has anyone opened the U810 yet? I know technogeekchris has done OS mods, but that’s the only U-series hacking I think I’ve ever seen.

Bravo, I tip my hat to you sir.

• Some crazy people out there. Bit off topic but i ran the same benchmark app on my LG-P100 and while some of them are heaps better his beats mine on hard drive by heaps. There’s other scrores there that are higher too and I don’t even know what they are but I think I’m seeing where some of the weak points of the LG are even though it’s one of the fastest UMPC’s going.
    Mark: 56645
    ALU: 11801
    But…
    HDD: 2012
    D2D: 4972
    Hmmm.

• Exactly what my thoughts were. Let’s put it this way, if he writes a book on component soldering & repair, I’ll be buying it as soon as it’s announced. I gave up Atheism and said a prayer before I tackled (successfully) an 8 pin SMD w/ dual column hot air, whew. Child’s play compared to this feat. I also know IR is for the serious work (which I’ll not be venturing into), but still is only a tool, one that requires agility, steady hands, and remarkable skill. Bravo.