UMPC

Udea_expert300w

The new Udea Expert 300W by JCHyun is the world’s first multimedia e-dictionary to have 802.11b/g wi-fi, Bluetooth, T-DMB, and an FM radio. Powered by Windows CE 5.0 Professional, the 10.6-ounce clamshell won a red dot design award this year and, in addition to its already impressive wireless connectivity, features a 4.3-inch WQVGA touchscreen, 2GB internal storage, SD card expansion slot (up to 8GB), TV-Out, stereo speakers, USB host (mass storage, HDD, and keyboard support), PDF viewer, and respectable codec support for videos, music, Flash content, and photos.

Udea_expert300w_closed

The Expert 300W’s electronic dictionary functions include "82 contents" in English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Spanish.

Udea_expert300w_bt

Udea_expert300w_kb

Udea_expert300w_typing

This isn’t the first e-dictionary to have wi-fi or to run on Windows CE 5.0, but it’s certainly one of the most stylish and versatile ones. Its supported Bluetooth profiles (A2DP, FTP, AVRCP), integrated T-DMB, and ability to connect to various USB peripherals make the Expert 300W much more than just a run-of-the-mill device for students to study for the TOEIC.

Udea_expert300w_dmb

Udea_expert300w_mp3

Udea_expert300w_stylus

Udea_expert300w_wifi

Included with the 5.6" x 3.7" x 0.9" unit are a 4GB SDHC card, silicone earbuds with three sets of tips, drawstring carrying pouch, stylus, AC adapter, USB host adapter, USB 2.0 cable, line-in cable, polishing cloth, product manual, and software CD.

Udea_expert300w_reddot

Neither the press release nor the product page mentions the MSRP, but AVING USA reported yesterday that suggested pricing is 418,000 KRW (about $385). Too bad the Sharp Zaurus isn’t being made anymore; it would’ve been nice to see a new one with Udea Expert 300W specs (and more internal memory).

14 thoughts on “Udea Expert 300W multimedia e-dictionary has wi-fi, Bluetooth, Windows CE 5.0 Pro

• A “lectronic” dictionary..what will they think of next ?

I’m gonna wait for the recipe organizer plug-in or maybe the combo “thesaurus-antonym” add-on before I jump in.

Wifi, mp3, a keyboard, and stereo speakers? She will be mine Garth. She will be mine…

• Party on, Jeff…

E-dictionaries sure have come a long way. It’s really a shame that there isn’t a market for them here. I wonder if there’s an option to change the UI into English. Most e-dictionaries don’t have it (my iriver D26, for example), but some do.

Yeah, I think it’s kind of sad that our interest in other countries doesn’t include learning their languages. I’m trying to learn Japanese right now and this thing seems like it could help me a lot.

I think it would be really nice to have a portable dictionary that is not as large as a normal paper dictionary (especially if it contained more than one language. I wish they were available in the US. I am also trying to learn Japanese and I agree that having a portable electronic dictionary would be really handy.

Any info on if you can change the language of this to english? also can you install 3rd party apps on any these dictionaries as a few of them seem to run on windows CE

• @ andrewk: I spoke to a reseller about an English OS option and was told that changing the language didn’t seem possible. Some e-dictionaries do have this function, but this one doesn’t appear to be one of them.

thanks for the fast reply jenn, Don’t suppose you know of any that do have an english OS option.

• Some of the older iriver models supposedly had the option. I bought the D26 after hearing this and was dismayed that the function wasn’t on it. I don’t think any of the recent iriver e-dictionaries have had it either. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be a standard feature, as it’s done all the time on MP3 players.

So from what I understand, Udea, Nurian, and recent iriver e-dictionaries cannot be switched to English. I don’t know about Atree.

• It looks really good, good features. But for £222, eeeek.
    A bit pricey, I would buy it and get it imported if it was for about £100 and was in english.
    £100 is about $173 btw

I don’t understant what this is for… ok, dictionary, but if you have a mobile phone, you can upload different programmes (I whant to do it, Abby Lingvo, for example with tutor) or documents inside.

Why should we waist money, buying additional device?
    And it’s very big

• Hey, does anyone know of this companies website?
    As I was thinking that we could make an online petition for them to change the UI to english! I really want one now! :P

• Just wish to say your article is as astonishing.

The clearness for your publish is just great and that i could assume
      you’re an expert in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to keep updated with imminent post. Thanks one million and please continue the gratifying work.