Laptops

Sony Vaio P scores 2.7 in Windows Experience Index

3181102916 0c9324e48a - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

I’m a little disappointed that the Vaio P doesn’t have a touchscreen and will have to get used to the little trackstick/nub, but I still want this very long beauty as my own.

The unit I played with had the following WEI scores: 2.7 processor, 4.1 RAM, 5.9 graphics, 3.0 gaming graphics, and 5.6 primary hard disk. Keyboard is excellent and screen resolution is much easier on the eyes than expected.

:: Live at CES 2009 from the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 ::

11 thoughts on “Sony Vaio P scores 2.7 in Windows Experience Index

• You must have read my mind, Jenn – I was hoping for the WEI to be posted somewhere as I have long ago stopped understanding all the different processors etc, this gives me a good comparison. It does not sound bad (to be honest, even if it sounded bad it would not stop me from buying one or two of these :-) ).

• Honestly, a score of 2.7 is higher than I would’ve expected. I think that it should probably work pretty well for the Vaio P’s intended uses…

How pocketable is the Sony Jenn?

• My R50A also got a 2.7 processor score. See Ben’s UMPCPORTAL article. I ordered the new OQO 02+ yesterday but I am thinking that I might cancel that order and order a 1.86 GHz unit from Conics. I am worried about quality control issues with the OQO. I sent my OQO 02 back twice before I Ebayed it. If I get the P, I would keep my R50A, which I find runs Vista well. Ben over at UMPCPORTAL had a pre-production unit.

• Dimensions are like the Wilcomm D4 ?

Smaller ?

Larger ?

What you think as a comparison performance-wise; how high is the ‘windows score’ of the Wilcomm D4 ?

Thanks !=)

• That’s how I feel too. In fact, even the WEI scores aren’t a factor for me. I still run Vista on the HTC Shift’s 800MHz A110 CPU with no complaints!

• I wish the WEI was calculated as an average of all the subscores instead. Even if a device is only as fast as its slowest component, I don’t like that the lowest subscore becomes the official WEI.

My Kohjinsha SC3, which has the same CPU and RAM as the Vaio P, scored 2.7 too. It only gets a 2.9 for graphics, though, and I’m satisfied with its performance. So the P will run nicely by my definition.

• Not very. I think the Sony people who are carrying the P in their suit pockets have “special” Sony pockets. We overheard one of the reps telling someone who couldn’t fit the device in his pocket that he was the “first” one the rep had seen who couldn’t fit it in. He then slipped it into his pocket and said, “It fits in mine!” Another rep chimed in with, “It fits in my cargo pants pocket!”

• The Shift runs Vista surprisingly well, it “feels” faster than similarly specced UMPCS, don’t know why! It does not look quite as good as the Vaio P though, and that is a factor for me :-)