Laptops

Vaio P starting at around $900

3177736883 d4ab2813bf - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

I don’t know why Glasgow didn’t mention this in his presentation, but here it is in black and white. I will definitely be breaking my 7" device rule here at Pocketables when I buy, unbox, and review this one!

:: Live at CES 2009 from the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 ::

18 thoughts on “Vaio P starting at around $900

• I am not even going to try to resist this one – I do wonder whether it will be available in the UK onthe 9th though?

• They’re on now at sonystyle.com! 1.33GHz Atom, 2GB RAM standard.

$899 for 60GB HD
    $1199 for 64GB SSD
    $1499 for 128GB SSD

The quick ship models are shipping on 02/03/2009, which is a bit of a let down.

• Jenn, thankyou so much for wanting to break the seven inch rule on this one. I’ll get one myself… Eventually

• As far as being pocketable, I have my doubts. My everun note will fit into the pocket of my suit pants, although it is cumbersome at best. It will not fit into jeans pockets or a jacket pocket. The Sony P with an 8″ screen will have trouble fitting into a pocket.

• Wow. I wish they’d ship one of those with Linux… * drool * Not that I need one at all.

• I can totally appreciate Sony’s industrial design. They’re computers are some of the best looking around, this and the previous Picturebooks included.

However, I think this one’s a loser. It’s specs are weak, and it’s price is high. Beauty only gets you so far, and there are plenty of pretty netbooks out there that cost a half to a third of this. I suspect that these prices aren’t going to last long.

What a downer.

• How embarrassing. I meant “their”, not “they’re”.

Sorry for going grammar police on myself. The they’re, their, thing is one of my big pet peeves.

As interested as I am in this device, I’m really concerned about readability on a screen that will be the same height as my SC3’s but with 168 more pixels vertically. The screen will also only be 1.2″ wider with almost 600 more pixels. This is based on some late-night calculations, of course.

It sure is purdy. :)

• Yeah this is looking very good. I also have the SC3, which I like very much but wish it would be a little faster. I got use to the Gigabyte M912 speed, and for Christmas my daughter gave me the MSI Wind which is the best Netbook I have had from all.

• What interests me most is the quick boot. I wonder how quick it will actually be. Right after Jenn posted I went to SonyStyle and began to pre-order one. Then I stopped, maybe I should wait to see actual pics and hear about the readability of the screen.

• For those of you who has/had an UX like Jenn & myself, the dpi is 263 on that 4.5″, versus 250dpi on this P series. If you are fine with the UX you will not have prob with this.

• And now we know, it is available at Sony’s UK website. $899 magically converted into £899. That is amazing even by Sony’s typical exchange rate habits.

This must have the same processor as the SC3, which is a little annoying, but I think I can live with it. I bet the video drivers are better than what Intel has released so far!

Thanks for that, outie. One advantage of it being from Sony is that I’ll be able to see one in a SonyStyle store before purchasing. Quite a luxury these days.

• Yes I know what you mean. I still like my SC3 even though at times I wish it had a 1.6 Atom. I wyill travel with my SC3.

Sent From Hector’s BlackBerry® Storm

• Is your ark preparing for the arrival of two? ;-)

• It is :-) I seriously want one of these and I don’t even know why. It is nice to see a computer one can get excited about in the sea of dull more-of-the-sames.
    Given the ridiculous pricing I may have to order it from the US though – oh wait, I can’t, the 3G would not work. Oh well, serves me right for living in a country that takes pride in printing more money than newspapers (and worth about half as much).

• Perhaps I am missing something, but Sony Vaio laptops have had the quick boot for ages. This one does not sound very different. Now if one could access the 3G connectivity from there (like with HTC Shift) that would be something!