FeaturesTutorials

How to rotate Sony Vaio P screen orientation

Vaio_p_rotation

A popular way to use slate- and convertible-style computers is to rotate their screens into portrait mode for reading ebooks and other long documents. These devices are designed with such usage in mind, so switching between screen orientations is generally quick and easy. Some make use of an accelerometer, some automatically rotate along with a convertible's display, and others are controlled by a shortcut key.

Standard laptop users don't often feel left out, as the size/weight of the device generally prohibits comfortable portrait use, but what about those of us who use a Sony Vaio P, a mini version of the traditional notebook computer? Weighing in at just 1.4 pounds with the standard battery and boasting an 8-inch screen with 1600 x 768 resolution, the Vaio P is actually very well suited as an ebook reader.

Wmc_winxkeys

There are already tablet PC functions preinstalled in Vista that allow screen orientation but because the Vaio P doesn't have a touchscreen and therefore isn't a tablet, quick access to rotation isn't included in Windows Mobility Center (notice the empty block in the screenshot).

Tablet_pc_settings

You could always go into Tablet PC Settings in the Control Panel to rotate the screen, but having to call it up, select your desired orientation from the drop-down menu, click "Apply," and then repeat the process when you want to revert to the primary landscape orientation is too tedious.

So do this instead:

Vaio_p_rsk1

Vaio_p_rsk2

Press Ctrl + Alt + one of the arrow keys (right arrow to rotate right, left arrow to rotate left, etc.).

Vaio_p_gnews

Simple as that! When you want to go back to the original orientation, just press Ctrl + Alt + the up arrow.

The downside to this method is that the hardware controls obviously don't rotate along with the screen, but you can easily fix this with Sakasa Mouse (thanks, Pete).

Vaio_p_magazine

Using the Vaio P in this manner may seem impractical if you haven't tried it yourself, but it's smaller than a magazine and light enough to make the usage feel pretty natural.

Note: The Ctrl + Alt + arrow key combination is not exclusive to the P; it works with other computers as well (not sure about the criteria). The P is just an ideal candidate because of its size and weight. Most UMPCs/MIDs smaller than the P already explicitly support the feature.

See more Sony Vaio P features and reviews.

:: Visit the Vaio P forum to connect with other owners and potential buyers, share tips, and troubleshoot. ::

22 thoughts on “How to rotate Sony Vaio P screen orientation

This works for Acer Aspire One, as well.

• It’s an Intel graphics shortcut, nothing specific to the Sony or Acer.

• Right. As stated in the post, the functionality isn’t exclusive to the P and is supported by other computers.

• Sakasa Mouse will let you rotate your controls.

• Thanks for the easy fix, Pete. I’ve updated the article with a hat tip to you. :)

Have you made a video where you remove the keyboard so you’ve just got a long, thin slate?

• All of the main components are in the bottom half of the unit, so even if the keyboard could be detached like that, the screen would be useless by itself.

hi Jenn

The good news is this screen orientation works with My Vaio P under XP Pro!

loving my P even more each day!

• Just meant that it’ll work with any of the netbooks, but at the same time won’t work with ATI or Nvidia graphics.

• Good to know! It doesn’t work on my Vaio TZ. It would’ve been impractical anyway, but I still had to try. :)

• ..this doesn’t seem to work on my Vaio P running Home Premium. Is this only for certain models?

• No, it should work with all models (and other computers as well). Are you holding down all three keys or just pressing them in succession? They need to be held down.

Hi There,

I have done a full downgrade to XP Pro with Sony official XP driver version 1097 but apparently, I tried the method of holding dwn Alt + Crl + Direction button but the screen filed to rotate. could any guru give me some pointer.

Yeah Man,

Kenrick you are the man. I manage to rotate my screen after using your application. super duper cool. My next task is to get HD 1080P Movies running in my Vaio P. Cheers

Hi Kenrick,

The screen rotate program works for the first time I run it. Subsequently, if I change it to portrait mode I am not able to rotate it back to landscape mode. Not sure if I have done something wrong. The only way out back to landscape mode is to do a restart. Please assist. cheers.

• Doesn’t work on my Windows7 Vaio P (upgraded from Vista last week). Would you now W7 alternatives?
    Tks!
    Gianluca

• Thank you for this article!

I had accidentally put my Vaio P into this sideways mode and was trying desperately to figure out how to un-sideways it and struggling to function with the sideways trackpoint (which, by the way, I have been missing since it seemed to have all-but-disppeared in the lated 90s, having fallen in love with it since my first IBM ThinkPad in 1994).

• Don’t think this shortcut works for windows 7 OS vaio p’s….

• In my vaio p, the same that is in the image, the arrow thing doesnt work! can someone help???