UMPC

Atom-powered LonMID M100 convertible MID doubles as phone

Lonmid_m100 You may recall a brief mention last month of several new Intel MIDs being shown at IDF Beijing. An XP-based clamshell known as the BYD Mars received the most attention because the other side of its screen housed a phone, while a small convertible MID attributed to a company called NFS got the leftover interest.

I don't know what became of the BYD Mars, but my newshound (whose name changes with every tip) recently sniffed out a lot of interesting details about the so-called NFS convertible, which as it turns out, is also a phone too.

Meet the LonMID M100 by NFS-HLJ. The black and gold (shown below) prototype units measure 6.2" x 3.5" x 1.1" and aside from the handset that acts as the back of the M100's display, the mini convertible's specs are consistent with Intel's original Linux-based MID definition.

Lonmid_m100_open

Lonmid_m100_swivel

Lonmid_m100_slate

That means we're looking at the following:

• 800MHz Intel Atom Z500 processor
  • 512MB DDR2 RAM (up to 1GB)
  • 4GB SSD
  • Midinux operating system
  • 4.8" touchscreen (800 x 480)
  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, 802.11b/g

Lonmid_m100_phone

Lonmid_m100_sim

The handset portion of the LonMID features a hardware keypad, 2.4" QVGA display (similar to the MIU HDPC), and SIM card slot.

Lonmid_m100_front

Lonmid_m100_top

In addition to front and rear cameras, the LonMID 100 is equipped with the following ports, interfaces, and hardware controls: camera shutter button, two headphone jacks, USB port, two miniUSB ports, microSD card slot, volume rocker, call buttons (talk and hang up), power port, power switch, and stylus slot.

Lonmid_m100_ui

Lonmid_m100_kb

It isn't clear if the LonMID M100 will ever go into mass production, as the unit PC Home got to check out was just an engineering sample, but I hope it does. Even though the thick bezel and keyboard border make the compact convertible look a bit chunky and I'm not a huge fan of Midinux, I still kind of want one. That full English QWERTY keyboard is calling me!

Thanks, Muke!

14 thoughts on “Atom-powered LonMID M100 convertible MID doubles as phone

• Woah, how big is this thing? I’m really excited about this one! Too bad it’s not a bit more powerful, but having a full XP capable machine in your pocket as your cell phone is something I’ve been waiting for for years! I hope this comes out!

• Ahh, I retract my statement :P I didn’t read the article fully. This thing is much larger than I had initially judged from the photos :P Still a great concept I would love to see future iterations of.

• I like this design. If it has US GSM/HSPA bands, it would be a fierce little mobile computer. I won’t hold my breath, but I will think good thoughts.

• Wow. That looks like it’d be a great Mer or Android device.

Does the handset’s data capability extend to the MID? (ie. can you “tether” the MID to the handset’s data feed?)

What info is there on the handset part? (cpu, OS, frequency bands, GSM? CDMA? 3G?)

• I like this one.

It could be large enough to have the reception and baterry life to replace my aging HTC wizard (which gets a strong signal deep in the bowels of hospitals)

Those aren’t unboxing pictures, they are the same pictures as above from PCHome.

• They are the wrong size to me. They are thumb based so they then will be compared to pocket pc’s, smart phones, PDA’s which will be thinner, have instant on, and inexpensive. It is still small enough to easily be pocketable but others are comparing it to smaller PDA’s, etc.

If they have full Windows they really should make it longer so that it would have a touch type keyboard yet still 4″ or under for the width so it is still mobile enough to carry in a large inside jacket pocket. They should make them 7″ x 3.6″ x 1″ in size and make the keyboard keys as large and as easy to touch type on them. Remember what good is full Windows without a real keyboard?

• And PC Home’s article (where all your pix come from) is earlier than yours. What’s your point?

• Yeah, if the on-line functions can be had by choice either via the phone line or wifi that would be powerful.

What would make this a real killer would be if the telephone handset runs something that can support PDA functions so you have instant-on for calendar, tasks, etc, and open the case for a full-powered Linux experience when needed.

-avi (still suffering from Windoze Mobile 6.1 on my HTC Advantage x7510 — what a love/hate relationship…if only it ran Linux….)

• uhmm, Primaz? You want a PHONE that is 7″ long?

I don’t think you will find ANY people in the “mainstream” that will buy it.

The idea is a compact phone that you can run desktop software on. Not a phone that requires you to sew cargo pockets onto your suit.

I hope this LonMid M100 is’nt going to be another IMATE who advertised items that never materilized outside of the prototype. Several people has shown interest in this device only so far to be teased. Does anyone know if this device will ever go to mass production, or is there anyway possible to contact the creators of this device to see what their intentions are. I went to their site and its all in language I don’t understand. Should anyone happen to find out anything positive on this device or the specific company contact, please inform us here.