UMPC

Save $100+ on Archos 5 and 7 Internet Media Tablets

Archos_imt_100

The Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet is still my favorite PMP and my top choice for video storage and watching movies when traveling or whenever a lot of waiting around is going to involved. It's one of my gadget must-haves because of its stellar video format support and playback quality, spacious hard drive, fast website load times, and extra features.

If you've been considering any of the Cortex A8-powered devices in the series for yourself but have been holding off because of their MSRPs, which range between $350 and $550, then head on over to Amazonir?t=pocketables 20&l=ur2&o=1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here to take advantage of limited time pricing that knocks off at least $115 and as much as $200 from the cost. The biggest savings is on the 250GB Archos 5, which is now selling for $250ir?t=pocketables 20&l=as2&o=1&a=B001D0E4DA - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here (I paid the full $450 for it last fall after quite the wild goose chase!). The lower-capacity models have also been discounted, as have the 160GB and 320GB versions of the larger-screened Archos 7ir?t=pocketables 20&l=ur2&o=1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here.

The lower prices are good through August 29th.

[Archos IMT sale @ Amazonir?t=pocketables 20&l=ur2&o=1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here]

10 thoughts on “Save $100+ on Archos 5 and 7 Internet Media Tablets

Hi Jenn:

Totally agree, the Archos 5/7 is the best PMP for my use, and has very impressive video playback. After using the 4.8″ or 7″ screen for any length of time, smaller devices seem lame in comparison. I did purchase the optional DVR cradle, and record my favorite TV shows for mobile viewing.

• You have both the 5 and 7? What makes you decide to use one over the other and do you use them differently?

Hi Jenn:

I do have both the Archos 5, and 7. Also had the previous generation 605, and 705. I am definitely a gadget geek.

I have a belt clip to carry the Archos 5 in when I go out for the day. While waiting for public transit, a movie to start etc. I catch up on the previous night’s favorite TV shows. I do not take the Archos 7 out daily due to its size, and weight. I use the Archos 7 in the house when I want to watch a movie etc. streaming from a NAS, transferred from Archos 5, or a video podcast streaming from the web. The Archos devices stream quite well from a NAS even the older ones without any media server. I find the larger screen of the 7 to be a better experience for movie viewing etc. even though it is the same resolution as the 5’s screen.

I also prefer the Archos 7 when I want to use the web, and a netbook, laptop etc. are not convenient to use. For me, all the swiping, zooming, etc. required to view a full web page on a screen <7" is not worth it. Looks cool in a demo, but gets old very quickly for me. I prefer the mobile web on the smaller screens. The Archos 7, and my previous 705 are the first mobile devices I actually prefer viewing the full web rather than the mobile web. Too much zooming, panning etc. to view full web on the smaller screen for my use.

When traveling, I do take the Archos 7 preloaded with my favorite videos.

• I still have the 604 WiFi and 704WiFi, so I was a little tempted to get the 7 when it came out. The screen resolution was one of the reasons I ultimately decided against it. 1024 x 600 would’ve been a better choice for a 7″ screen, especially for web browsing.

Do you still have/use your 605 and 705?

Jenn:

Still have the 605, and 705. Although I sometimes eBay old devices, usually I keep them. I have quite a collection of past devices.

I still use the 605 at times. I have it in a DVR station attached to my bedroom TV, and sometimes stream video from a NAS via the 605’s WiFi to the TV, or connect to the web via WiFi and display that on the TV as well. The 605’s still run great. Don’t use the 705 much, use the Archos 7 instead.

I did not mention in my original post that I also still have (and sometimes use) the AV500, and AV700.

Although I like the Arhos 5 better overall than the 605, I do miss the physical buttons that I enjoyed on the 605.

I am the first to admit that Archos Tech support can be an exercise in frustration, futility, and outright pain to deal with at times; however, IMO they make by far the best PMP’s as evidenced by my owning so many Archos devices.

• I agree that Archos makes the best PMPs. I have the AV420 as well. Though not as capable or attractive IMO as the recent generations, the AV series came with so many accessories and was so self-contained. None of this plug-in nonsense!

I’m really looking forward to seeing what the Android-powered Archos will be all about. Just a little over a month before we find out. :-)

• How well Archos supports Flash video? like the ones from academicearth.org for example?

Thanks,
    Yoni.

Jenn:

I remember the AV500 came with the cradle, AC charger, and all the A/V cables you needed. The only extra I puchased was an additional battery since the AV500’s battery could be replaced in about 3 seconds.

I am also anxiously awaiting the Android-powered Archos. Although I will try to have some restraint, I am sure I will be ordering one within 5 minutes of its availability. ;)

Hi Yoni:

Archos’ support of Flash Video is the only area of disappointment for me with the recent Archos devices. It seems to be a flip of the coin. Some sites play extremely well, others so-so, and some sites don’t play at all. This “flip of the coin” performance with Flash Video is not a big problem for me since I puchased the Archos devices for their video recording/video playback features which they excel at IMO. If Archos did get the latest versions of Flash Video to play consistently well, they would certainly enhance their web experience since the 4.8″, and 7″ screens are nice to view the web on, particularly the 7″ screen.

• “I am sure I will be ordering one within 5 minutes of its availability.”

I knew there was a reason I liked you immediately. A kindred spirit! :-)