AndroidLinuxUMPC

Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android pulled by Amazon for problems?

Archos160

Now this is definitely interesting, especially considering that the new device has only been out for a few days, but it seems that Amazon has stopped taking orders for the 160GB hard drive-based version of the Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android due to the item being "under review." Now granted, they do say that it could be a problem on their end with the description or the way it's shipped, but when you read that "customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item," that can't possibly bode well for Archos as they look to transition into their new OS and products.

The slimmer 32GB flash-based version is still available for ordering and the 500GB model continues to be up for pre-ordering, so let's hope that any issues that may exist can be fixed right away for the sake of current owners or those who were contemplating a purchase. The reviews from new owners do appear to be mixed from what I have briefly read around the net, so hopefully it is just a matter of Archos pushing out a timely firmware update.

Do you have one of the new models and if so, are you having any issues other than something a firmware update could fix? Maybe this will all be sorted out quickly, but please chime in with your comments and let us know what's going on.

Chris King

Chris King is a former contributing editor at Pocketables.

25 thoughts on “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android pulled by Amazon for problems?

• This is the first time I’ve ever seen an “Item Under Review” notice on Amazon.

It’s strange that only the hard drive version would be pulled, as the comments/reviews from owners on that page don’t indicate anything faulty with the drive. One person is saying the device isn’t as advertised because H.264 isn’t supported out of the box (though I believe it’s enabled via a free plug-in), and there are some firmware-related complaints here and there, but I don’t see anything specific to the hard drive model. I wonder if the 32GB version will be pulled too. Good thing mine already shipped! :-)

• the non android 250 gig is also “under review”

my guess is that ppl r accidently ordering the non android version expecting it to come with android.

• That makes sense.

Or maybe people are ordering the 160GB Android version and Amazon is accidentally shipping out the 160GB non-Android model instead. This wouldn’t happen if Archos gave the Android unit a different name. Most people won’t make the distinction between the original 5 Internet MEDIA Tablet and the new 5 Internet Tablet.

Well, I got the 32GB Flash version. I really like it, but it is extremely unstable. The browser crashes regularly, and I’ve had multiple freeze-ups requiring a reset. If they sold more of the HD based versions and people are complaining or returning, perhaps that’s the issue. I’m really hoping for a ROM upgrade, as the size, weight and responsiveness are all fantastic.

• not impossible, i have a hard time deciding what to call it, archos 5, archos a5, archos 5 android, the full name seems a bit much…

• Received teh 32GB model, and it is working great. As soon as I turned on WiFi, I received the message about registering, and a firmware update. When you complete the on-line registration from the device, the H264 plug is activated for free, no separate download required. With the firmware upgrade, all seems to be wrking fine. Video playback, internet, app store all seem to work as advertised. For those experience stability problems, have you downloaded the new firmware?

• I think it could be cause some of the units don’t have the Android apps pre-installed as it says in the product description. That’s cause the firmware was updated before shipping and that cleared those apps. But the customers can download the apps from ftp://support.archos.com/ARCHOS%205%20Internet%20Tablet/System/APK/COMMON/ and http://appslib.com/download/AppsLib.apk

So I guess that they are now manually installing those on those few devices before shipping them or putting some notice in the box explaining where to get them.

• I got the 160G Archos Android described above, but haven’t had any real problems with it…I think the firmware upgrade is key – I always charge my devices completely when new, and then update. My Windows XP computer can’t figure out what it is and can’t attach it as an external HD yet, but Vista and Windows 7 don’t have any trouble. It’s my 4th Archos device, and I’m glad I bought it…

• Amazon should add to the title that its either the newer one with Android or the original. I might order one.

• Would it have been so hard to call it the Archos 6 Internet Tablet to avoid confusion?

• Thanks for chiming in Charbax…

If anyone knows what’s going on with Archos, it’s probably you. Which apps were deleted?

• There’s new firmware,( Version 1.1.01 )that’s posted on Archo’s site as of today, Oct.12 it may or may not help you.

• HAHAHA!!! Saw this coming million miles away. Well I hope that Amazon just bumps this device from their store. Maybe they read all the complaints and said we don’t want this junk in our store. But I guess that’s just hoping. Oh well. Se La Vi.

• Just all the apps, and also, Archos released the more stable firmware 1.1.01 today, so perhaps Amazon wanted to install that firmware on all the devices before continuing to ship them out. Since updating from 1.0.22 to 1.1.01 requires formatting which is not a very newbie-friendly firmware upgrade process. Though future firmware updates should be easier to do.

• You can find EXT3 drivers for Windows. And you can use the Media Device USB mode for Windows as well.

Se La Vi. Junk Spelling.

Man, I really want one, but I can only afford to buy one device. I can’t afford to buy another device after I get this and find out it doesn’t work and I can’t get support for it. :-( I don’t know what to do. I guess I’ll have to wait longer.

My Archos 5 Android survived the latest os upgrade and worked for a few hours before it went dark. Now the HD just ticks as it tries to reboot flashing the Entertainment boot screen. Sounds like the HD is the faulty item or their new os upgrade corrupts the boot files. Mine is headed back for a refund. Pity because this machine had some nice features if they worked!!

• hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• The Archos 5 is a great video player, but it disappoints as a premium Android Internet tablet and GPS unit.

The ‘5’ in the name stands for the screen size, which is almost 5 inch. So no, Archos 6 wouldn’t make sense. But I agree that they should’ve chosen an other name.

• does it run flash video over its browser?

can th gps work in any other countries provided that map is installed?

where can we buy maps for asia?

There’s also the Archos 5 5g 30gb(without Android) but with a mobile broadband sim slot, although no bluetooth. How confusing is that? The Android version does not have a sim slot, but does have bluetooth. You have to be so careful you order the correct thing. Even the sellers don’t always know what they’ve got!

HI THERE YOU CAN GET A 32 GB FLASH DRIVE ARCHOS 5 INTERNET TABLET FOR ONLY $399.99

HI THERE WOW I DOUBBLED CHEECKED THE 32 GB FLASH ARCHOS 5 IS ONLY $379.99