FeaturesUMPC

Kohjinsha PA series size comparisons

Kohji_pa_size

Gadget size comparisons are pretty common around here and since this is probably the last time I'll be able to put one together this year, I've gathered more of my mobile devices than usual to pose with the newly unboxed Kohjinsha PA series. Have a look below.

The PA hardware is very closed related to the UMID units, so let's start with the mbook M1 first.

Kohji_pa_size_umid

Kohji_pa_size_umid (2)

Kohji_pa_size_umid (3)

Kohji_pa_size_umid (4)

Next up is the Sharp NetWalker PC-Z1, which I can't help but think of when seeing the M1 and PA together.

Kohji_pa_size_umid_netwalker

Kohji_pa_size_netwalker

Kohji_pa_size_netwalker (2)

Kohji_pa_size_netwalker (3)

Kohji_pa_size_netwalker (4)

Although the PA series bears the Kohjinsha branding, build quality is definitely not on the same level as the Japanese company's recent products. Compared to the larger Kohjinsha SC3 (below), for example, the PA feels a little cheap and toy-like (its UMID roots are not hard to believe).

Kohji_pa_size_sc3

Kohji_pa_size_sc3 (2)

Kohji_pa_size_sc3 (3)

Kohji_pa_size_sc3 (4)

Continuing on with the UMPC trend, here's the PA with my Fujitsu LifeBook U810, Willcom D4, HTC Shift, and Sony Vaio UX180P.

Kohji_pa_size_u810

Kohji_pa_size_u810 (2)

Kohji_pa_size_u810 (3)

Kohji_pa_size_shift

Kohji _pa_size_d4

Kohji_pa_size_ux180

Kohji_pa_size_d4_ux

And now some non-UMPCs that are often classified as MIDs: the Samsung Mondi, Sony mylo COM-1 and COM-2, Nokia N800 and N810, HTC Advantage, Archos 5 IMT, and Archos 5 Android tablet.

Kohji_pa_size_mondi

Kohji_pa_size_mylo

Kohji_pa_size_nokia

Kohji_pa_size_nitmylo

Kohji_pa_size_htcadvntg

Kohji_pa_size_archos

Kohji_pa_size_archos (2)

Here's the Kohjinsha PA with the Sony Vaio P:

Kohji_pa_size_vaiop

Kohji_pa_size_vaiop (2)

And finally, to bookend this post with non-gadgets, here's the PA with a Wii game case.

Kohji_pa_size_wii

I won't be able to write a full review of the PA (just taking these pictures was more than my 9-month-pregnant self could do without being completely exhausted afterward!) so if you have any questions/requests, let me know in the comments and I'll try to address them later this week.

The Kohjinsha PA is available now from Conics for 79,800 yen (~$888).

Update: Read my Kohjinsha PA series mini review

16 thoughts on “Kohjinsha PA series size comparisons

• Much smaller than I thought…great comparison shots, Jenn! For some reason, I had pictured it being sized like the U810 or U820, but it is quite a bit smaller.

I am suddenly more interested in this than I was 5 minutes ago :-)

Is that black bezel glossy black or flat?

Jenn, do you ever sell your old gears or do you keep them all around for future size comparisons photos? :)

• Thanks for the great comparisons. Do you know if the bluetooth and wifi radio disconnect when the screen is closed? I would like to stream music from the web over wifi and use a stereo bluetooth headset while in my pocket.

Does it supports 850-1900 Mhz?

Thanks

• Thanks for all those photos!

Wow. I too thought it was closer in size to a Fujitsu U series.
    I’m still not impressed by the specs though. Hopefully they’ll up it to Umid M2 specs(1.6ghz, 1MB ram). Until then I’ll stick with my U810.

I suppose that it works like the UMID M1: closing the screen acts as a button; with the default XP settings, this “button” puts the device in stand-by mode. But you can easily change these settings.

• It’s glossy but not overly so. The plastic is kind of sparkly (as though glitter was mixed in), so fingerprints and smudges are disguised pretty well.

Looks really good. If it weren’t for the UMID M2 having better RAM and CPU, I would definitely go for this. It is pocketable (unlike U810) and supports tablet mode – I assume it comes with XP, just need it with Win7 (obviously more RAM needed!)

• I used to always sell my old gadgets (mostly DAPs and PMPs at the time) before buying new stuff, but I stopped doing that a few years ago. I think I’ve become a hoarder! :-)

• As yves said, you can customize what happens when closing the lid. If you set it to “do nothing,” then you should be able to use it the way you want to.

The device doesn’t have built-in 3G so it doesn’t support any bands.

• The good thing about this device is that unlike the UMID, the Bluetooth/WiFi radios actually remain on when resuming from standby. They’re still linked though (despite the separate Fn shortcuts for them on the keyboard).

Nice photo coverage. It really makes the UMID M1/M2 look like a more attractive alternative (even though it doesn’t give you tablet transformation).

Looking at all of those together makes me really wish that Sony would jump back into the UMPC game. A Sony UX-series with an atom processor would cure the battery life woes that made the UX490 and it’s ilk unattractive. It really seemed the perfect form factor.

Of course, while I am wishing, how about an affordable version of the (defunct) oqo?

The only thing i miss one this device is TV out.
    when it would be price at about 500$ than i buy one.

• does the battery actually live up to the advertised 7.5 hours?