AndroidUMPC

Sharp IS01 clamshell Android MID powered by Snapdragon

Sharp_is01

Oh my, I think my heart just skipped a beat.

What you're looking at is the newly unveiled Sharp IS01, a 5.9" x 3.3" x 0.7" clamshell MID phone that's got a 5" multitouch-enabled capacitive display with a unique 960 x 480 resolution, trackball, 1GHz Snapdragon CPU, Android 1.6, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, EVDO Rev A, 1Seg, IrDA, dual cameras, and 4GB of internal storage expandable with microSD cards. Scheduled for consumer release in October through KDDI, a carrier in Japan, the IS01 will be offered in black or blue and looks to have the full Google Experience within its Android installation, which is more than can be said of another handheld running Donut.

Sharp_is01_open

I probably would have fainted if the device had Android 2.1, a larger SSD, and WiMAX, so I guess I should be thankful that the specs aren't completely perfect. It isn't the sleekest looking machine I've ever seen either, but I have a soft spot for clamshells (I turn into a big pile of goo for sliders and slide-and-tilts) and I'm really enjoying Android on my Nexus One. It's making me incredibly anxious to get my hands on the Dell Streak/Mini 5, and in some ways this could kind of be seen as a keyboarded version of that.

Sharp_is01_all

A developer's version of the Sharp IS01 is expected to be available in May, which is really when Sharp should've tried to get the retail model out (the specs look quite tasty right now, but they'll be pretty stale in October). No word on pricing just yet, but I think I'll stalk this until I find out.

[Engadget | K-Tai Watch (thanks, nonene)]

22 thoughts on “Sharp IS01 clamshell Android MID powered by Snapdragon

• I like it but I guess theres no hope of it having 3G that works in Europe is there?

• It needs to have at least an LED on its front screen or a mini display like the E90 if its to fulfill its duty as a phone!!

I love it too though, especially if meego can be ported on it

heh, i would not mind if they marketed a model without a mobile radio.

highly unlikely tho, and it will probably be overpriced like a certain other small sharp fold-able.

• My view is that its too big for a phone. Reminds me of my HTc Universal of yester years. Agreed that the phone radio will make it expensive without any phone benefits.

• Needs a detachable bluetooth head piece or detachable built in phone and it will be fine

• Looks nice. I wonder how that compares to netwalker. Is cpu more powerful etc. Resolution is ok but somewhat strange. Why not use those 4.8″ screen with 1024×600 resolution? And I agree that the specs might not be that great when it is released. I am hoping for something dual core by that point.

• I know Jenn has a soft spot for this kind of form factors. It looks really nice. But this kind of devices are called smartbooks isn’t it? IDK, It’s very confusing now.

• So is Sharp ditching their crappy Netwalker? If Sharp can keep it updated whenever Google releases a new Android version then this thing could compete with x86 based UMPCs/MIDs for some people. So far they’re already behind though.

That thing looks BEAUTIFUL. If it was just on T-Mobile USA 3G, with full voice/txt capability, it’d be perfect.

• Am the only one that would like this more if it was in slider form like the nokia n810 or all touch screen.

Specs wise it seems good.

And wifi only without 3g radio is good enough for me.

• Not for me, especially since I’m waiting for the N5 and the Streak…

• I agree with the slider suggestion if its aim is to replace a phone. Also for tablet functionality. You can get a pouch for anything else.

• How “developer” do you think the developer’s version will be? Is it likely that it will have Android 1.6 fully functional just so people can develop apps for it? Or will it be pretty unusable from a consumer standpoint?

I don’t want to wait until October but I also don’t want to pay through the nose for something that I won’t really be able to use as a non-dev.

• And here’s my answer from Akihabara News:

“The JN-DK01 is intended however for a pure development purpose where both Sharp and KDDI gives companies the possibility to completely rewrite the OS, Customize it or tweak it for their own purpose and needs.”

thats why i got myself a jhabra BT8010 while it was available.

can either use it as a handsfree or A2DP headset.

i think netwalker was an experiment of sorts.

now if they made a updated version using android…

but then i suspect this is it, and they nailed on the EVDO Radio for market and google apps bundling.

those asian device ads makes me wonder whats on display, the device or the girl…

• Yes, Viliv especially! They know our switches ;)

• where can you buy this phone?