Apple

So what does everyone else think of the iPhone 4G?

Iphone_4g Unless you've been completely off the grid from Saturday evening through this afternoon, you've probably noticed that Apple was caught with their pants down, exposing the next-gen iPhone to all of us against their will. Thanks to an extra-thirsty Apple engineer named Gray Powell who momentarily lost control of his senses and his prized prototype last month, we have the flash of events at Engadget and Gizmodo that is now becoming even more clear.

There is almost no doubt this is the iPhone 4G that will be unveiled to coincide with iPhone OS 4 at Apple's WWDC in June, maybe with a few slight tweaks here and there. Thanks to Gizmodo and their willingness to drop $5000 to get the scoop, we know there will be a front-facing webcam and an improved camera with flash. The screen, while just a smidge smaller, has a much higher pixel density, and the SIM slot has moved to the side, where it will now house a microSIM like the iPad 3G.

Also, the iPhone 4G just looks more serious and grown-up, a slab-sided beast that is thinner and home to a larger battery than its 3G/3GS predecessors. The all-aluminum edging is broken up by three questionable seams and also contains individual round volume buttons. The back side is comprised of some type of glass or ceramic material, most likely for improved reception.

Personally, I really dig the new design and hope it doesn't change much between now and June, but I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks. Do the seams bother you, or do you prefer the now-dated design of the current iPhone? Are the looks even important, or is it more about the OS and what's inside? Is the change to a microSIM a no-go for SIM switchers who rotate multiple devices? iPhone fans, please chime in, and as for Apple haters, go ahead and join us too. Somehow you always seem to make it entertaining.

Chris King

Chris King is a former contributing editor at Pocketables.

29 thoughts on “So what does everyone else think of the iPhone 4G?

• I gotta say, The new design is much better than it’s 3 older siblings. Kinda my taste on devices. But I’m sure that a lot will not like it since it looks more rugged.

Now, Talking about the success of the new iPhone, I will say that Apple will have a hell of a time convincing people why they should pick this one against the phones it will be competing with. First phone in mind is the Evo. According to what’s known by now, The 4G will have a FF camera which the Evo have already. Size is about the same which makes Evo bigger.Higher resolution which the Evo have already. The only thing that is interesting is that the iPhone 4G supposedly will have 80GB of internal memory.

The iOS 4.0 has been revealed and sure it’ll have nice features like Multitasking but will that be enough? I know a lot of people are hoping for a bigger screen to make a perfect use of that higher resolution but I guess they are disappointed or should I say “we”. The device is a prototype thou. We are not sure about the real product. According to the owner, He is testing the software. I would like to think that the real device would change but it’s highly unlikely. It is rumored last year that the iPod Touch will have a camera and the plan was changed on the last second and came out without. I also am thinking it’s just a planned leak to stir people away from what’s gonna be the most anticipated release this year. IDK, Only Apple knows and all is still just an speculation. I will believe it 100% when Steve is holding it on his keynote.

it looks ugly, not “smooth” enough around the edges…. do you get what im trying to say? :P

To be honest Jen, I think it looks a whole lot more grown up than the previous version and I like it. Looks are fairly important and I think that this one is better than previous… As for the Micro SIM, I’m not too happy abotu that but as we don’t have any say in it I guess we will have to put up with it. All in all I can’t wait for it to be out here in Oz!

Opps… Just realised it was Chris not Jen!

• I just noticed that it has an FCC logo which possibly means it passed? Well, How did it slip on FFC Without people finding out about it? Apple always bring it to FCC after the announcement. Hmmm… interesting.

• I’ll be honest; I actually love the new design.

It takes all of my favorite qualities; and sanctifies them into a single device. In fact; it really reminds me of the WiMax edition of the Nokia N810; of which I have the original in blue; and it seems this new iPhone even has round buttons in similar diameter to the power button on the N810. All-in-all; I love the formfactor.

However; in terms of usability… I find that rounded edges are a bit better. Whilst I loved my G1 while I had it; and still love my N810 (despite its age) Their ease-of-use in terms of formfactor have been a problem for me… not in an incredible amount, but I’ll just say that I enjoy holding my Nexus One better. That being said; I’ll really have to get my hands on the new iPhone before I can figure out if I like the feel or not. (Though I will say; I was NOT a fan of the current iPhone design; the european HTC Hero in white with teflon coating annihilated it)

In terms of screen-size; It’s unusable for me. If it’s true that they did reduce the screensize; that’s even worse! As someone with bigger fingers, and who works in a T-mobile store seeing customers like this all the time; a touchscreen-only device should have at minimum a 3.7″ screen in my opinion. This does depend heavily on how much bezel you add; but in terms of typing capability… I simply can’t type on the iPhone. I had one, (the original, and 3g) for over a month and it was simply unusable. I quickly went back to my blackberry pearl; and eventually to my G1, then N1.

The front-facing camera is indeed interesting; I’m very intrigued, but at the same time phones in Japan have had this feature for quite a long time, and it never really caught on- simply because when mobile, unless you’re holding the phone in front of your face, it’s very likely they’ll be staring up your nose. I do appreciate it’s capability for self-photos though (something I had no problem with on my G1 due to the camera button, but have a HUGE pain with on my N1 due to touch-only controls) but this will depend on the quality of the camera; and the MP it sports. If it’s a 5.0 with the quality of the nexus/original iphone, I’ll be pretty happy. (so long as the processor can keep up and minimize blur)

As a result of that; I’d love to see a front-facing camera (at least 2 megapixels!) on the next-gen iPad. IMO it is something that should have been included by default, and was simply a spoon-feeding tactic by apple to sell next-year’s model. (really; it’s not hard to add. Especially if this is in OS4.0) So; I’ll be getting the Notion Ink Adam in June/August to satisfy that lust. (Skype video calls with YouTube friends)

I’m intrigued to see what the battery life on this will be; and how sensitive the touchscreen will be. The original iPhone does indeed have a great touchscreen, and there were articles out that many other touch devices (android included) aren’t quite as accurate. This may be true to some extent, but some phones tested are running twice the resolution of the iphone; making the lines of touch far more accurate, so take that as you will. That being said.. I fear for the increased pixel density in this new model. I love my Vaio P; but even with my super sharp eyes I do get tired looking at it sometimes; especially if I’m not wearing my contacts/glasses. That being said.. If the screen-size is still the same, there won’t be a great result in the increased pixel density in terms of readability without increased eye-strain, and on a mobile device.. I don’t need much of that. (especially if you have it docked and are trying to drive via the GPS)

In the end; I think it’s going to be a pretty strong product. Whether or not it will compete with the current Android offerings though; at least from my perspective… still remains to be decided. While folders are nice; they’re limited to 9 in OS4, and many people have tons and tons more games than that. Android has a leg up in that department with the drawer; and it’s a simple flick to scroll through everything, rather than going page by page by page. Basically; it’s down to software experience, and OS4.0 is nice.. but they could have done more. Specifically if this new iPhone has improved hardware capability; and Mr. Jobs says via E-Mail that they don’t plan to continue updating the original iPhone.

Only the future will tell; I worry for Apple’s limited business model (Though we at T-Mobile are getting it by the end of the year/early next year, as is Verizon) as it’s just one device.. In terms of applications and choice; Variety is key.. and spanning multiple carriers- Android has a good chance. It’s Steve’s move; and it needs to be a good one to keep the market. [how about an open platform?]

Just my two cents. =)

• Multitasking fixes one of Apples two non negotiable shortcomings for me.

Now it needs a micro SD slot.

Until then, Yawn.

One huge advantage that the iPhone has over its competitors is the Apple App Store. Nothing else comes close right now, even Android Market. I have a love/hate relationship with Apple but even I sometimes consider switching back to the iPhone for the apps. As for multitasking, yeah, it’s great but it bothers me that Apple probably did it not so much to satisfy user demand but so the iPhone can run iAds.

• love the way the phone looks i will say that!!!!!!!… but for a person that come from a blackberry the iPhone is a toy with very low features. I had a iPhone for 3days it was fun to play with ill say that .. battery life is the worse for a power users … but if the 100 new feature that area added to 4.0 give it more functionality/customization as say blackberry, android & webos/palm phones. I might be game other then that Samsung Galaxy here im come!!!!

I may actually join the borg and get one.
    iPhone OS 4 portends to have solved many of my gripes with iPhone.

Is there no micro-SIM to SIM adapter yet? That may be a deal breaker.

• Funny thing is that this new iPhone was found just down the street from where I work…if only I had been in that bar instead of working, I might have found it myself….. ;)

Wow, the iPhone now looks like it’s made for professional adults now. I wonder if Steve Jobs personally did the beating of Gray Powell.

• I’m still thinking this is not the real thing. And a smaller screen? Why?

I agree with you, in part is the ease of access to a vast quantity of apps, and music at your fingertip, coupled with a winning marketing image that Apple has been able to create that wins over current owners and new ones alike…! and that piece of intangible asset is priceless…!
    Other companies might build more technologically advanced/feature-rich phones, but up to now, no phone in the US has the pizzaz the the IPhone enjoys…and I want to stress that it’s due to a well executed business plan, and I would leave the which phone is “better” debate…since it’s out of the scope of this post, and quite subjective…while sale numbers/market share/stock prices are more measurable…

• The overall design is ok, inoffensive but a bit bland. I like the higher res screen but worry how the existing apps will cope with the increase. The front camera will be good for skyping. Not bothered about the main camera as I don’t take many pics with my phone. Hopefully it has a longer battery life. What I would like is some sort of notification light for messages, etc. Maybe they should make the big Apple logo on the back glow. Don’t like the micro sim though as I travel a lot & swap sims regularly.

I have a 3GS now but won’t be rushing to get the 4G straightaway.

• There is no story here. It’s just some Chinese thing with an Apple logo and ‘iPhone’ printed on it. I find it quite amazing what they will try and pass off as an ‘iPhone’ here in China. The shops and malls of Guangzhou and Shenzhen are just filled with the things, all openly on sale.

• You’re right it’s not the real thing. Why? Because it’s just some generic thing, and they printed an Apple logo and ‘iPhone’ on it.

• It’s just a no-name Chinese fake, and not a very convincing one at that.

• Still confounded why the simple things are ignored such as a camera button on the side, and something similar to ‘profiles’ found on the nokia phones. The reason I’d always Jailbreak will be to get the magical quick menu popup (swipe the top toolbar in any screen) and voila – change brightness, turn rotation on/off, switch 2G/3G.

All the things that annoy me about the iphone as a phone are still ignored in the 4G. Fail for an advanced user, Win for the sweet toothed masses. I agree with the others that the App Store is unbeatable. For me, it’s always going to be another smartphone+an iphone/itouch.

• I think its the real thing but just a sort of prototype which was purposely leaked so as to get feedback on its design before its mass produced

• Keep in mind, jethro…the App Store trumps any feature that may be missing, or some of the extra features that an Android phone may have.

• You do know that Apple has sent an official letter requesting *their* property be returned, right? I don’t think they would have any reason to want a Chinese fake back.

• I’m with you on the notification lights, I like having those on the Nexus One. The microSIM won’t even be an issue before long since most companies will start switching over, just like what happened with the transition from Mini-USB to Micro-USB.

• SBSettings is the best!

Hopefully it won’t take long for 4.0 to be jailbroken.

• After falling prey and buying a 32GB iPod Touch and finding how slow it is to upload music and videos (which is now a paperweight on my desk), I can’t see buying a new iPhone. The new Mobile 7 phones are what I’m waiting for, but I’m keeping an open mind on Android as well. If Microsoft could get even a fraction of iTune apps, it would be a no brainer.

• Yeah my 3GS is still running jailbroken OS 3.1.2, one & only reason being SBS Settings. If Apple where to provide some sort of function similar to what sbs settings provides they’d be no reason for me to jailbreak anymore.

These past couple of years was The Reign of the iPhone, and now it will be The Reign of the Android.

And with all this it still amazes me how hard it is to get my hands on the T-Mobile HD2 running Windows. Which has been sold out twice since it’s release.