Good and EVO

Are you thinking about returning your HTC EVO 4G?

Question

Just because most of us adore our HTC EVO 4G superphones doesn't mean that every single person who tries it will feel the same. It isn't the perfect phone for everyone.

Some people may not like Android or the slab design. Some may think the EVO is too big or be completely turned off by the recently discovered 30fps cap on 2D and 3D apps. And of course there are those who are getting poor battery life (in spite of the battery tips) or have a handset with an improperly grounded touchscreen or worsening screen separation.

There's no "correct" reason for someone to decide that the EVO is not for them. Even irrational fanboyism for another brand/phone is a legitimate reason to me; everyone is entitled to their own opinions and is free to spend their money on whatever they want. I don't  understand why people get so worked up over another person's opinion about something they have; who cares if a stranger on the internet doesn't like what you like/use? It doesn't make sense to me.

Whatever your reason is, are you experiencing buyer's remorse and thinking about returning your EVO? I assume no one here is already a former owner, as continuing to visit G&E after that trip to the store would be a sign of returner's remorse.

51 thoughts on “Are you thinking about returning your HTC EVO 4G?

• I plan on being a long time EVO owner… :o)

• I already returned a glitchy screen for a new one. Planning on keeping this new one for quite some time… Hardware issues happen, its par for the course. Just have to use the warranty and continue enjoying all this thing has to offer.

• I have no problems with mine and I keep finding more and more things to do with it, I will be keeping mine for a very long time as well.

• I’m thinking about returning mine. The battery issue is starting to be a deal breaker for me. Granted I came from blackberry so I should have expected it a little, but I find it to be unacceptable.

The big question is what would I switch to? Back to At&t and get the iPhone 4? Nexus ONE on t-mobile? One of the droids on verizon? I’m sure they all would have battery issues and At&t has the questionable network.

I’m going to stick it out a while longer while I have the 30 return policy, but switching is on my mind.

I do think if I did switch, than I would have remorse every time I see news of an update, or froyo on the evo.

If anyone from sprint/htc is listening, please gives us a fix/froyo that will help with these issues.

I love my evo… a lot but i dont like the 30 fps cap and all the hardware issues and i have had one myself that i haven’t really seen discussed but my evo will constantly restart at random all of a sudden i will here the boot music and i will pull it out of my pocket and sure enough the is the big yellow 4G and i have no idea why one morning it restarted at least 5 times this as you would probably assume is a giant strain on my battery so now i am forced to wonder what would have happened if i would have cancelled my sprint contract and got an iPhone 4 :(

• I’m thinking about sticking with the EVO. Figured out how to fix the battery issue. Stay away from the HTC calendar widget, stay away from the live wallpapers, and turn off the gps, when not in use. Lasts me the whole day. I’m pretty sure the battery life on the iPhone 4 will not be THAT much of the difference. Of course, the iPhone doesn’t have true multitask capabilities.

• I have no problem with the battery but everyone’s usage is different. Here are the top three significant battery tips:

1. In this post: http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/06/htc-evo-3500mah-extended-battery-photos-revealed.html#comments
    make sure your phone is set to CDMA and not incorrectly at GSM (early models had this issue).

2. Turn off sprint data network when phone is not in use of the internet through the “Mobile Widget”. It turns on/off within a second, very fast! The 3g radio sucks enormous battery when ON.

3. Buy a usb to micro-usb cable for work, I bought mine at Fry’s electronics for $6, and a car charger for $4, love standards, instead of the apple proprietary garbage.

I have heard that Task Killers cause the inadvertent reboots. Do you have one installed? Check the EVO forum on http://www.ppcgeeks.com for some help with the issue. There is a thread dedicated to it.

• It’s also easy for the iPhone to have a slightly longer battery life especially when it doesn’t have any 4G capabilities either.

• Oh for #2, turn off all radios also: the 4g, the gps, and the wifi. when wifi is available, turn on wifi, and turn off mobile (2g/3g). I have all 4 widgets in my homescreen, and it’s very fast and easy to switch on only the ones i need.

For #3, I don’t really need to use the extra powering options, as my phone easily last all day even when i use it heavily with videos. They are only power options when i continuously play with the phone for like 5 hours, or use the gps heavily that my battery cannot last all day, but with the iphone 3gs, it only lasts 3 hours with the same heavy usage.

• I must be one of the lucky EVO owners. I’ve had little to no battery issues (though I’m usually within close proximity of some kind of charger anyway so either way it wouldn’t matter), my screen is fine so far. A bit of light leakage but no separation yet. I’m getting a case soon so hopefully that will help keep the screen in place if it ever does decide to come up.

I really would like for someone to address this 30fps issue though. It makes the phone look so choppy. One thing I miss from my Hero is the smoothness of the scrolling. The EVO is definitely a speed demon but get this thing operating at 60fps and my life will be complete.

• I came from a TP2 and the screen size is just such a plus for my daily routine of e-mails, attachements and browsing the web. My battery is in par with TP2 so it does not bother me. Apple runs a different OS and screen so their battery has a different performance characteristic.

In regards to having screen issues, if I do I will change for another one. Its just the name of the game. My wife went through 3 Iphones with different issues, so it happens with any manufacture product

• I would trade in my EVO for a Nexus One if Sprint had the Nexus One, I won’t lie. But I am not getting off of Sprint in the Milwaukee Area. AT&T is HORRIBLE here, and I have not had a single problem with Sprint. I love my EVO (and I came from AT&T and the iPhone 3g/3Gs) but some of the issues they are seeing now that it is out is a little disheartening.

• I think the glass thing is way overblown. There are only a handful people who have this issue out of hundreds of thousands. I’m guessing there was just a bad batch. Can be replaced under warranty.

• Don’t judge battery based on the meter. Judge based on actual life through the day. The meter jumps down quickly in first hour but when it hits around 30%, it lasts much longer than you’d expect. They need to fix the battery meter.

I get all day with 4G radio turned off.

• I do want to exchange mine, but not because I dont want to own the EVO, just because I am having some screen separation issues. I am new to Android and I freaking LOVE it. I have rooted my phone and applied a custom sense-less ROM and I love all the control I have. However, the hardware issues are a no-go for me, so I am waiting until RAdio Shack (where I got mine) has some in and I am going to drop in and try to exchange them. BTW do I need to flash back to un-rooted before I return the phone? Will they notice?

Edit: I have also been really unimpressed with the 4G speeds. It it not nearly as fast as I would have hoped and takes forever to get connected, then the coverage is spotty even in areas that Sprint says are fully covered. This is probably the most underwhelming part of the phone for me so far…

• I also direct you all to this comment on Gizmodo’s (hateful as usual) article about this issue: http://gizmodo.com/comment/24432312

“There is also some foam spacers to help make the glass more shock-resistant which is probably why you can press the screen cover up and down slightly.

The actual screen is beneath the glass.”

I’m not sure if you guys’ screen is actually coming ALL the way off, but I don’t think the issue is as bad as blogs are trying to make it seem. It’s like blogs are clammoring to find all the negative EVO news that they possibly can. I can move my screen ever so slightly if I press down really hard but it’s no where near what I’d call a separation at the moment.

Anyway, just linking to something that may make people feel a bit better about their possible screen issues.

I had thought that but i was using the advanced task killer because the editor of this website uses it and i figured it would work well but anyway ever since i have uninstalled the program i have had no issues at all with any reboots thanks a lot. I guess i might stick with the evo…..

• I’ve had my phone on for 24 hours now since last unplugged from charging and its at 61%. Turned lots of things off though including weather applet, gps, wifi, 4g, etc. I use advanced task killer and have set the auto kill level to ‘crazy’. I’ve set the auto kill frequency to ‘when screen off’. I’m sure I can go another 24 hours without charging.

• Any chance you could provide a link on rooting the Evo?

• I totally feel you. I just got mine Friday…coming from a Blackberry Curve, the only real beef i had at the time was the size. I would have to add the battery life as well. Today was my first day using it at work(sits at my desk, texts, emails, alerts-maybe a call or two-nothing my blackberry couldn’t do for 2 days without recharging)took off the charger at or around 718am, about 1024, it was already half life just sitting idle. I went back to the task killer to kill things that were popping up at random that i knew i personally was not using. So i am going to follow the battery tips and see how it goes for a few more days. Like you i dont want to get locked in, but i dont want to get remorse later when all it may have taken was an update to fix everything, and the hardware issues some are experiencing were replaced etc.

• Thanks a bunch for that info. I’ve been getting lots of random reboots, as well. I never noticed it until after I rooted my phone and installed Wifi Tether, so I just figured it was due to something with the rooting process not agreeing with the phone. I’m running Advanced Task Killer as a widget because I love being able to just click it for a quick-kill of all the apps except ones I’ve specifically unselected. But it looks like I may have to uninstall it for a while and see it the reboot problem goes away.

• WOW! Thanks @Ed. I will definitely be applying these to my settings. I can see how those changes would definitely help. Gonna have to reconfigure my front page widgets to make changes/options easier/quicker to control. Thank you.

• @Neil, i installed my ATK last night, and it seems i am going to have to keep some things off that i don’t even use regularly to keep my battery going. I wondered what the “crazy” setting was, but i think i may need it. Ive seen tasks populate on their own in the list and i have to kill them repeatedly. Its clearly in my settings, so my battery beef may just be temporary :) Thanks.

• I dont want to return my Evo, but I see the glass separation happening. I’m still within my 30 days, however the Evo is sold out here in SF. Sigh..

I also got suckered into buying the Best Buy insurance, now I’m glad I did. I may just hold onto this one, let the glass separate, then bring it into Best Buy for a replacement.

I was also going to look into a front screen protector that will overlap the screen and bezel, so that it will remain in place. Anyone know of any that might?

• I’ve dealt with my grounded phone problem by, and really gotten used to the Evo. I love it and I love Android. I’m glad I left Sprint. AT&T was harassing me when I was telling them about leaving.

I hope the 30 fps cap gets fixed or looked at, and that the Wifi Hotspot becomes a free/cheaper option. It would be nice to use an iPad with Evo, if I were to get one. :P

No screen separation so far, and I’m kind of paranoid about the adhesive failing.

Cheers to Sprint and hope the company thrives.

• I’m concerned about the 30FPS/Screen peeling problems because I was planning on buying one now. After reading this I’m not so sure anymore. I do know that I don’t mind the battery life though. I hope they fix these problems before I get mine.

• I’m considering returning the phone. I have tried all the battery tricks including the cdma/ prl setting and employ most of your 20 tips.

The issue is I work shifts, and need 24 hrs between charging with reliable standby (~30 minutes of data/calling/apps total during that time, really) and the ability to push email and take calls. I figured my 24 hours of standby would be less or equivalent to 8 of you 4g power users, but I can’t even get it to last into to the afternoon!

Unless a OTA patch comes fixing something and the 3500mAh is released soon, I will have to return it. Shame really, I love the android way and the huge screen….

you guys should just get an n900.

• I have an N900 but have never used it as much as I use the EVO and iPhone. Great device, though.

• I sit in front of two live internet links at work, all day, so the EVO is something of a “luxury”. I was questioning why I bought it. Signal strength at my house seemed low downstairs, but the phone performed fine, so I’m not returning it. As a bicyclist I value being able to check the weather radar to know what’s coming, to make certain I can get home without getting zapped by lightning. (It’s happened twice to me, before.)

• I love my EVO its the best smart phone I have ever had. Now I am having glass separation issues, but im sure later on HTC will fix this then I will get another one. I already tried getting another one but the 2nd one had the same issue. So Ill just wait it out. The Phone is amazing.

• I am in Arlington, TX which is just in between Dallas and Fort Worth… prime 4G coverage throughout the DFW metroplex.

• I love my launch day evo, in fact I’m on it right now, my screen is grounded and not seperated. The size is not an issue, its a bonus from my TP2 and the battery life is not horrible when features are monitored however over the last 24 hours its been restarting itself … hadnt heard it was possibly linked to advanced task managers, which I use, if I can properly resolve this…and maybe buy a charger-case its an iPhone kicking super bot from the future

• I wish I wasn’t having screen peeling… other than that I love this phone! I am going to try to exchange it later this week when “The Shack” gets more in.

I swear, I don’t know where some of these people are getting this battery life issue from. I just got the Evo on Saturday, toyed around a bit, set everything up the way I wanted. Turned off crap I don’t need, ((4g, bluetooth, wifi and autosync of useless apps.)) gave it a charge and went to bed. Woke up to a full charge at 10 the next day and decided to leave it off the charger as long as I was awake to test how the battery would withstand my average usage, which I consider moderate (Lotsa youtube, multitasking, internet radio and video play.) My Evo easily lasted at least from 11AM to 4AM and still had a good 40% battery life left.

These stories I hear about people getting to 50% in 3 hours? I just can’t see how that’s possible unless you’re like simultaneously streaming the entire 1st season of the Sopranos in HD, WHILE using 4g. Maybe it’s because 4g isn’t in my area, so maybe it’ll drain harder once that lights up here, but even so, I can’t imagine what kind of user would need to leave 4g on all day. I mean, turn it on, do your net browsing, then turn it back off. Calls are fine on 3g, I can’t see them being that much better on 4g.

Maybe for people who constantly use gps, wi-fi and 4g, yea the battery might not be so great, but if you’re only really interested in videos/music/browsing/apps, the battery life should be more than enough to get you through the day. I was actually considering buying a battery pack for this thing before I bought it, but now that I’ve tried it out, I really don’t even feel like I need it.

Overall, no complaints, but then again I’m coming from a pretty basic phone.

4G in Raleigh-Durham is SUPER FAST. It is even faster than my cable modem at home. I LOVE this device. Sprint finally has done a good job. I can now be proud when I say “Yeah, I have Sprint!” =)

• Interesting you mentioned *early* models because I ordered my EVO4G last week directly from Sprint.com (arrived on 6/11) and it was set to GSM by default. Guess what.. the battery life sucked lasting only 6 – 7 hours (if I was lucky) and that was with most of your recommend “battery saving tips” in place.

It wasn’t until I found the *#*#4636#*#* service menu hack and changed it from GSM to CDMA that I was able to go around 15 hours. Acceptable, but like others have mentioned definitely nowhere close to my blackberry.

Any reason why the “*#*#4636#*#*” step is not a part of the “Battery Tips” guide?

I will say I am mildly disappointed in some aspects of the Evo, which in hindsight wouldve caused me to get a smaller and cheaper Android like the Hero. (I am still considering that option so as to have a spare phone in case anything does happen to the Evo.) But now that I have the Evo, there is no way Id give it up.

The disappointment comes not from the phone really, but the way Sprint is implementing some of the features with their network. The 4G is turning out to be something Ive used far less than I expected, because the download speeds are consistently subpar. Ive use the Clear WiMax network enough (Home modem and 3G/4G mobile) to know what to expect with speeds, which is a practical download range of 1.5 – 4.5 megs down/0.7mbps up depending on area and tower conditions.
    On the Evo, Ive seen anywhere from .3mbps down to a max of 2.5. Even taking into account network conditions, this particular speed range is sufficiently low to make me strongly suspect that speeds are being capped, or more accurately “shaped” by Sprint not to exceed a certain limit. Why? I dont know, but I believe if you dont buy the hotspot service your 4G speeds are capped. This is only my suspicion, of course, no proof.
    (Well, I also tested the speeds side by side with the Clear 3G/4G USB on my laptop, and I get consistently higher speeds on that device and service,)
    In practical terms, this means the only time I ever fire up 4G on the Evo is to stream video, as the 3G speeds are way more consistent @ 0.5 – 1.2megs down for everyday use.

The Battery life, isnt as bad as people say, as even though I can crush a full charge in 4 hours if I try, in normal use it is closer to 7-16 hours. After trying to be power miserly, I realized that it is stupid to NOT use the capabilities of this great phone to its fullest, so I carry a USB cable around with me at all times, as there is always a port or plug available and it recharges very very quickly, usually in an hour or so. So, that isnt a deal killer for me either.

My unit seem to have come from a good quality batch, so Ive encountered none of the quality issues enumerated by other folk. Aside from irritating niggles with certain apps and Android features (WHY cant I simply turn off a running app from WITHIN that app? Jeez!) there is no reason whatsover to see giving up this phone.

I expect to keep it for the next 2-3 years before I change.

I like the EVO a lot, but Android Market leaves a lot to be desired. There are some decent apps here and there, but no games. I didn’t buy the EVO to be a gaming machine, so definitely not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice to have some of the quality games available for the iPhone. Otherwise, the ability to customize, the open-ness and the unlimited data plan w/Sprint mean that I’ll probably be a long-time EVO owner.

• Despite running the calibration tool multiple times, my Evo mostly ignores my fingers. Holding it, not holding it, in case, out of case… the touch screen randomly activates or won’t work at all. The Evo also seems to lock up for 30 seconds or more at times. I’ve had to resort to pulling the battery.

This is my first new phone in four years, so maybe I’m just too old or primitive for new fangled gadgets. I haven’t heard of anyone else having these difficulties, so I assume it is just me.

I shouldn’t have bought all those accessories. I expected to love this phone, but it is nothing but packaged frustration.

• How do you enter that code? I’ve done it on my other sprint phones, just punching the keypad when Sprint’s tech told me to. Do you go into the phone dialer, and do it there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lee in San Antonio

• Not returning mine! I guess I lucked out and got one that (so far) hasn’t exhibited any of the symptoms dicussed, other than battery life. I just got the USB power plug for my car, plus an extra USB to Micro USB cable from local store, and now I plug in when driving or at home.

I did buy some 10′ long Micro USB GT Max cables from Amazon for really cheap price (shipping was more expensive), but they don’t work reliably and didn’t have the toroids on them like the higher quality ones do. But they were made in China and sold for $0.42 each, so my fault.

• first of all great site, thanks a lot for putting this content out there for us!!

I’ve been waiting for a long time for an android based phone that I could buy that would be superior to the iphone. I think you can argue either way and really I think it comes down to preference but the important point here is that, even if you are clearly in the iphone camp this is the first phone that you can make a legitimate argument with as competition for the iphone. I wanted to buy this phone but the only reason I didn’t (and I’m extremely surprised you left this off the list) is the fact that this phone is not GSM compatible. I’ve always been with AT&T (never had any reception problems btw) had no problem switching to SPRINT until I found out they use an outdated CDMA network that doesn’t work in Europe. I have family in Europe and thought I could go over there, get my phone unlocked, buy a local SIM card and be up and running but that is completely impossible with this phone. The whole point of upgrading from my blackberry curve to a phone with better internet capabilities was to be as fully functional as possible when I’m away from the office so the fact that this phone not capable as a quad band phone is an enormous drawback for me.

I was very disappointed to find this out, I still don’t want to buy an iphone so I guess I’m going to have to wait for this phone (or something comparable) to be made for AT&T or T-mobile… disappointing…

• I have the same issue with speeds here in Portland – cant get over 350kbps dowload from the 4g hotspot on default speedtest.net settings no matter where I try it – more like 3g even though 4g is on with good signal. My Clear service hotspot which runs on the same network isn’t blazing either but on the same defaults it gets at least 750k download. I really wanted to lose the separate hotspot thing. My device isn’t rooted but not sure the 4g is impacted by that anyway.
    It may be defective – will check and update if so.
    Like the phone otherwise just fine, great screen, UI ok plenty of apps, love removable battery and micro sdhc support.