AndroidUMPC

eXpansys pre-ordering Huawei S7 Android tablet, shipping within two weeks

S7_expansys
Looks like the wait for the Huawei S7 Android tablet is coming to an end, as one prominent online retailer has apparently gotten its exclusive mitts on it. I came across an email this morning from the UK arm of eXpansys advertising the 7-inch 3G-equipped tablet for just under £300, with availability in 8 days. Since that price converts over to a seemingly-high $450 or so, I popped on over to eXpansys USA and plugged in the item number. Success!

Not only are UK residents able to purchase the S7 as of today, but those of us here in the States will be able to snare one in a few weeks for an even-better price of $355. To refresh your memory, the S7 will have Android 2.1 (Eclair) and a Snapdragon processor, albeit underclocked to 768MHz, under the hood. Those two specs right there are enough to separate the Huawei tablet from the competition, but also included is a 2.0MP camera and a full complement of wireless options like 802.11bgn and Bluetooth 2.1, in addition to the aforementioned 3G.

My interest is definitely piqued, especially when compared to the Dell Streak that is still running Android 1.6 and will be about $150 more when it goes on sale here in the near future. As for the rest of the competition, the S7 is definitely no iPad, but that might be the biggest thing going for it as it courts those who want something smaller to carry, yet larger than the 4-inch Android smartphones coming out like the HTC EVO 4G.

Chris King

Chris King is a former contributing editor at Pocketables.

13 thoughts on “eXpansys pre-ordering Huawei S7 Android tablet, shipping within two weeks

Yes yes yes, finally. Will they ship to Canada? What cell bands does it cover? Can I drive over and pick one up? Is it unlocked? Sorry so many question. Too excited. As you can tell I want one bad.

It’s on the Canadian expansy website as well. The specs aren’t matching up to what we’ve been told though. Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, ARM cortx A8 768MHZ
    • RAM 256MB. There’s also no mention of which UMTS bands it uses or whether it’s unlocked. Here’s the Canadian link.

Talk direct to Expansy, the device will be unlocked. They don’t have the UMTS band information yet and will be updating their website when they receive the information. Remember you need to see either AWS 1700 which will work on the Wind network in Canada or T-Mo in the USA or 850-1900 which will work on Bell Telus Rogers in Canada or ATT in the USA.

• it’s a great device..but only if the micro-usb also works as host. otherwise…it’s a no-go. imagine…take pics with your cam and copy the content of your cam to the tablet..

• Wow, you are excited about this one, ToW…glad to hear you’ll be able to get one in Canada!

I can’t find any info on the 3G bands, so hopefully eXpansys will update their site as soon as they know. At least it’s unlocked…

• The specs on eXpansys state it has miniUSB OTG, which I believe is the same thing as host mode.

• Wow a 7 inch tablet that runs android 2.1, and it’s only $350.

Looks nice, just need to see some reviews for this baby but so far looks real nice.

I have a bad feeling about this now. Huawei isn’t releasing any UMTS specs. It just occurred to me that something was missing from the build up to the release. I haven’t seen any reports on FCC clearance for this device. That’s where the leaked full specs usually come from. I should have know better than to get my hopes up.

Confirmed. 3G bands 900 and 2100. Quad band GSM 2G 850, 900, 1800, 1900. Won’t work on 3G in North Amrrica. Going to cry now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Was gonna use this more as a tablet than phone so those 3g bands don’t really affect me.

Just so that you’re clear on what you are getting. 3G isn’t just for the voice, it also effects your data speed. In other words you will only be getting Egde or 2G speeds on your cell network. Wifi won’t be effected. 2G data is too slow for me.

• Bad news! I was actually thinking about ordering one of these…maybe we’ll luck out and find out that eXpansys was just misinformed. Or did you get this info from Huawei?

• T-mobile operates UMTS 3G on the 2100 band dosen’t it? The Huawei has this band according to the specs.