FeaturesStreakSmart

Unboxing the US version of the Dell Streak

Streak-us-unbox (1)

You didn't think I'd mention all of that Dell Streak beta-testing business if I didn't actually have one for myself, did you?

I already unboxed the UK version of the Streak but since the packaging is so different and could end up being what the retail devices ship in, I had to do another unboxing. There's no evidence on the box that this is a pre-production unit and it doesn't seem feasible for Dell to have made these boxes just for 1,000 beta testers, but there's always a chance that the final units will be packaged differently.

Here's a side-by-side of the US and UK boxes.

Streak-us-unbox (23)

And now let's get a better look at this new box:

Streak-us-unbox (2)

That's the Texas State Capitol, which I assume can easily be removed by whoever will make the production packaging. Everything else looks ready for the online shelves.

Streak-us-unbox (24)

Streak-us-unbox (6)

Streak-us-unbox (3)

Streak-us-unbox (4)

Streak-us-unbox (5)

Streak-us-unbox (7)

Streak-us-unbox (8)

Streak-us-unbox (12)

Streak-us-unbox (9)

Streak-us-unbox (10)

Other than the US plug, the contents are the same as the UK version.

Streak-us-unbox (11)

The hardware of both Streaks is identical as well:

Streak-us-unbox (13)

Streak-us-unbox (14)

The backs may look a little different in the photo above but that's only because I didn't slide the battery cover all the way to the right on the Streak at the bottom.

Streak-us-unbox (15)

Streak-us-unbox (16)

There are some differences in the software, but it's nothing major. It's not like the US version is running Android 2.1 or anything!

Streak-us-unbox (18)

Streak-us-unbox (17)

The UK version can be unlocked with a Rebel SIM card, but I personally haven't had any luck with an AT&T or T-Mobile card.

This US version came with an AT&T SIM card already installed because of the free service through the beta test.

Streak-us-unbox (19)

Streak-us-unbox (20)

Streak-us-unbox (22)

This unit works on T-Mobile too, but it's EDGE only because of the supported bands. Note: Just because this Streak doesn't support T-Mobile 3G doesn't mean that there won't ever be a Streak that does. We just have to wait and see what happens when Dell actually releases the device.

Streak-us-unbox-tmo

UPDATE: This is not the final US retail packaging.

46 thoughts on “Unboxing the US version of the Dell Streak

I’m so so Jealous! Can I have the packaging to cuddle with? Seriously though, the plastic case looks like you can fold it back and use it as a stand.

• I Just Like to Hear the Magic word from Dell

• still with 1.6? Are they nuts? There goes my immediate buy. Disappointing! They get my money with Froyo. Till then they can kiss my credit card.

• Froyo has already been promised “later this year” by dell. I’m an AT&T user but I’m feeling pretty happy for the TMO peeps out there. :)

• Ah your killing me! I want one!

I actually prefer the Bamboo packaging from the UK box…

I would like dell to confirm that they are making a streak to work on TMO G3. Yes I know that they have approval from FCC but that’s it nothing confirming they are making one.

There is a T-Mobile version. Various websites posted the news when they noticed there was an FCC filing for the device with T-Mobile 3G bands.

Wow… you’re so lucky. I really need to become a beta tester, lol. At this point, my current phone is on it’s last leg so I don’t care if it has FroYo or not, I need this thing. Also, it’s been said by Dell, Adobe and Google, this thing is getting FroYo this year.

But that’s it, there hasn’t been any thing but the FCC filing for T-Mobile 3G.

Maybe Dell has been focused on saying AT&T whenever they talk about the Streak because they are the most popular network in the USA for GSM phones. It would be smart for them to cover both networks though as it would just expand their reach. I remain positive :)

• What is the fascination these manufacturers have with AT&T? Is it the dropped calls that I’ve been hearing about? Is that what they like so much? Can’t they make one device that supports T-Mobile US 3G as well as At&T or are they afraid that such a device would tear a hole in the space-time continuum?

• i wholeheartedly agree – I have even written dell.com for some information regarding if the Streak will work fully on Tmobile’s Network. I have not hear anything that would state they do not have one in the works. The responses are the item is still in production and they look for it to be compatible with GSM networks world wide. They did not out right say that a Tmobile version would be fully working including the 3G but they also did not say they were not making 1 that would be either. So I am Plazmic Flame and am hopeful. For I have been holding out for s streak for awhile now and I personally want it on Tmobile.

• I have it on pretty good authority that this packaging is only for the beta testers (of which I am a lucky one). My buddy worked on the team for this and talked for weeks about how they were doing special packaging for this event.

Just for beta-testers? I’d assume it’d be the other way and you guys would get stuff delivered in a non-descript manila envelope.

I don’t care how the package ends up looking, I want what’s inside!

This would make sense though seems to be of a special sort, the O2 boxing seems more appropriate for mass production. We’ll see though.

So now that you have two, maybe a give away is in order?

So I assume you will be completing the surveys, right? I hope you post them on here so we can know what Dell is asking.

• Ha, considering how much I paid for both of them, the only way I’d give one away is if I’m exchanging it for cold hard cash! :-D

• I tried to but it requires signing in with some sort of number that I don’t have. :-(

• Good to know.

It’s strange that the warranty info is on the box when the beta test info clearly states that the device isn’t covered under warranty, though. It also seems like an elaborate/expensive thing to do just for beta testers who may or may not know much about tech. Seems like a waste of eye-catching packaging too, as most people would probably just throw it away or not show anyone. I mean, it’s kind of crazy that this happened weeks ago without anyone really knowing about it. You’d think this would be the sort of thing to make its rounds on all the tech blogs.

• How can I become a beta tester? Is there an application I will need to fill out so I can become one?

But yeah, the streak is looking real good, here is my check and take it before I rethink this through.

• Dell hasn’t even announced that it will be on AT&T. Officially, they are both equally likely.

• I think they love the new hotness at$t has: capped data plans.

• I hope more beta testers start chiming in on the comments and forum on this site! Typically, how long do these sort of devices stay in beta before being launched?

• I registered early enough for the Congress Ave Mile to be included in the Beta testing. This “Floating” method of packaging allowed my battery and battery door to bounce around against the device (must have fell off in shipping). Allowing a small “L” shaped piece of metal on the battery door to break off. Looks like this piece is intended to secure the microSD from sliding out of its slot. So far the microSD has not slid out accidentally.

• Fascination? Are you kidding? After the Droid, Incredible, EVO, etc., I’ve been anxiously waiting for a decent Android phone on AT&T, but seems like no one wants to compete with the Apple Borg. Glad Dell’s stepping up to the plate.

when dell streak takes over the world, AND IT WILL, that packaging could become sort of a collectors item.

and @jenn, exactly, i don’t know how 1000 of these things made it out into the wild and more than a few tech blogs didn’t pick up on it. So geeks aren’t active, i get it, i’m going to google search some running blogs and see if anyone was talking about this.

• yeah, I would be surprised to see this packaging used for production. I am a beta tester as well, and as cool as it was, it’s not real practical.

Wow just seen the Dell streak the us version for sale on ebay for over a grand.

• yeah im force to get this dell because someone didnt want to add that front cam to the samsung

• Dropped calls? on AT&T’s network.. that you heard about?? your post makes me laugh.. and so do all the Apple Dorks that think the grass is greenier on the other side. Most of T-mobiles network used to be rented off of AT&T’s towers. Until ATT kicked them off and Tmobile has ever since been scrabbling to rebuild thier network. And is Verizon serious showing their phone coverage map as their “3G” data map too?lol I want to see the verizon guy walking around checking if he can surf the net on the phone and talk on the phone and say yep I can hear you… Oh wait.. he can’t cause you can’t surf the web and talk on the phone the same time.. lol

• that’s not a US version…

• Hi, can you send me an e-mail with confirm at least 2 days before release of Dell streak in the USA?. My mail is [email protected].
    Thank you very much!!!!!!!

So looking forward to this phone. Really don’t want to go throught ETF on AT&T and SO want an android phone. IF I can’t get this within a reasonable time period, I just might jump ship for a Droid X. So far, none of the other android stuff announced for AT&T are worthy of my attention.

Chatted with Dell rep Mon (7/5), ask since DELL AERO is being released to AT&T with Android 2.1, would Streak US be released with 2.1 or 2.2 ? Rep said MAYBE 2.2 !?! Which means we will have @ least 2.1 & prob 2.2 !?! Also maybe
    Docking Station included, yet to be seen. Maybe that’s why
    packing to be diff ?

If Streak doesn’t come thru quick enough, u will have
    Samsung Captivate i897 (a Galaxy S series) 4″ iPhone KILLER !?! Promise….

Unless u were already with AT&T with an unlimited plan, then u still have your plan @ same price & who said AT&T
    doesn’t take care of their loyal customers !?!

U ck out Samsung Captivate i897 (a Galaxy S series) iPhone
    KILLER, no doubt. 4″ Super AMOLED screen, 512 ram, 16GB internal, up to 32GB microSD card external, 1GHz Hummingbird processor, 3D capable & high speed graphics,
    30fps @ 720P resolution, surround sound, DLNA (wireless transmission to Big Screen & other devices), 720P video capable, mini USB for charging (not properitory), best style & looks of any coming out on 6 US carriers, this month, of course 5″ autofocus camera
    (with killer new software), ships with 2.1 (2.2 soon),
    1500mAH replacable batt.,etc.

Not really Beta testers, more like end user like’s &
    dislike’s folks. True beta testers tested months ago !?!

Some are, their some of the 1000, that Dell gave away
    in Austin, however they ARE NOT suppose to sell < 15 of July. They are not final version & are locked to AT&T !?!

U might want to focus u’re attention to Samsung Captivate
    i897, with 4″ Super AMELOD screen !?!

• I am picking up the Droid X this week since we have the release date! Will also order the streak as soon as it comes out…I find it really suspicious that Dell has not announced a U.S. release date yet, I have the strong feeling that they are still working on porting a customized version of Froyo on it instead of releasing it with 1.6 …

• Hi, I have a US Dell Streak and I can’t get any tech support for it, do you have a number you can email me so I can get a back cover replacement. My phone is cutting off at almost the slightest bumps in my pocket. I’ve tried to mold it with no success, and my service tag doesn’t show up, so it won’t let me email them.