Good and EVO

Who says HTC EVO standby battery life isn’t any good?

Evo-standby

I don't know about you, but 10% battery drain on my HTC EVO after 8.5 hours of standby with WiFi on the whole time is really good to me, especially when I've been hearing that new users are waking up to a dead batteries in the morning. As you can see from my battery usage, cell standby, WiFi, and phone idle all consumed about the same amount of juice when the EVO and I were sleeping.

I'm using the Seidio 1750mAh slim battery, which is supposed to improve after 5-6 full charges (I'm only on my second charge right now), and have not applied all of my EVO battery tips.

What's happening to your EVO's battery overnight?

52 thoughts on “Who says HTC EVO standby battery life isn’t any good?

• I hope people don’t buy this thing for a phone, It’s a computer so you have to compare it to a laptop. Before I had my IPhone I had a PPC-6700 with 2 extra batteries and I would beg my battery to go dead when it got low because I had 1 to 2 fully charged batteries ready to go, as long as they didn’t go through the washer. Although the IPhone might last longer this one isn’t horrible. Plug it in at night, and get extra batteries their cheaper than laptop batteries and last longer.

• What app is that where you circled the battery indicator? What is the one with the moon?

I really like your blog, and my EVO too

• Leaving 4G on overnight will kill the battery, and that’s without the hotspot and without any use…just left on, the same way 3G stays on all the time.

• My battery is so bad if makes the evo nearly useless.

• Jenn maybe we could use some more advise on what it is you are doing or not doing to get your battery to last. I know that my battery is stock and I haven’t upgraded yet but still. 8 hours and battery is at 15% and it is reminding me to charge. Anyone else with this bad of a problem?

• Your battery drained 85% after 8 hours of standby or actual usage? The screen cap in this post is of my EVO in standby.

• I haven’t tested the battery when left overnight yet (I usually charge overnight), but after 3 days of use, I’m getting 12-15 hours with moderate use each day and still have about 10% left when I go to bed (all on 3G, no heavy video stuff). That’s not bad.

• Alan, try turning off roaming and set the network to “Sprint only” and see if that helps.

Look for my post near the bottom of the battery tips thread linked on the menu bar at the top of this website.

• how come it doesnt show “android system”

• ^^thats what gets used the most on my phone

• Because it’s in standby (as stated in the title and body of the post). :-)

• That’s not nearly the case for me. Although my sister’s EVO will discharge overnight. Maybe there’s more to the story than there seems to be. I suggested to my sister that she probably installed something that’s using the battery in the background, but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary on her phone. My battery will easily last me 24 hrs with lot of use.

• You’re getting that kind of battery life with 4G left on? With it off, 24 hours is not a stretch at all.

• I got 32.5 hours of normal usage out of mine, on the stock battery. I posted about it on Facebook.

• How do you go into Standby mode?

• I’ve charged my Evo monday night and haven’t since with minminmal/normal usage. I really haven’t been doing that much on it besides the occasional web browsing, email, and it is sitting at 50% right now. I think thats pretty good considering my Instinct had to charge every night.

• How did you honestly get that much usage out of the battery?? sounds a little crazy but heck if it’s true then maybe there’s hope for everyone else!!! my friend who ran a test,He charged his phone overnight and this morning at 8:30 am he took it off (was at 100%) used advanced task manager to kill any apps that might have been running. when he woke up about 3 hrs later his battery was down to 78%!! DEF. NOT NORMAL!!

I did the turn off roaming an select only Sprint trick also. This battery issue is bad!! I’m not saying the battery shouldn’t drain but not at this alarming rate! Crossing my fingers something changes for the better b/c lots of people aren’t happy! I love the phone its great but battery isn’t =o(… hopefully the seidio 1750mah battery or that other 1800mah slim battery can save us!

• Hmm after 8 hours overnight off the charger my phone was at 42% this morning, wi-fi and gps turned off :(

• Just found this site. Great tips. Regarding battery life, my EVO uses about 5% an hour (occasional calls, reading gmail, minimal surfing) – so it lasts me the day.

3 Things:
    1. Turn off 4G, Wifi, and GPS unless you need it
    2. Install Task Manager by Apollo Software
    -Enable AutoKill
    the only app I have in the ignore list is the battery time lite (Motalen)
    -I have it set to 1 minute
    3. Email – If you have email setup (not gmail), it will use battery to check if you have new mail. I think the default for peak times is as item arrives, and this will kill the battery.

• Hmm… I charge my Instinct every other night but my screen is also set to “Always Dim.” Maybe the Evo battery life will be okay for me.

• How do you put the phone in standby mode?

• I have an Incredible. If you are connecting on WIFI it will last 24 hours just sitting there., Even with doing updates. The Issue really is when you are away from WIFi and have to connect via 3/4g. It will drain the battery within 2 hours, if you are in a spot that that has very little connectivity.

• The phone is in standby anytime it’s not being used (other than for syncing data in the background, etc) and isn’t powered off. When it’s just sitting there, screen off, doing nothing (like overnight or when you’re just not using it at the time), it’s in standby.

• I am sure that there are a lot of EVO users out there that are complaining about the battery life have no idea what they are doing. No offense to anyone but there are certain things that have to be done so that way you get the most out of your battery.

1. The battery HAS TO BE cycled several times before you will see the best life out of your battery.

2. I can almost guarantee that EVO users have certain settings enabled while they are out and about that is draining the battery life. 4G, wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS.

3. How many EVO users out there have yet to install the app killer?? It is amazing how many apps are running in the background that we have no idea are running..

4. You have to be proactive with your phone. Make sure that if you are not utilizing your bluetooth to shut off the widget. Also if you are not in a 4G coverage area or you are not using 4G, shut it off and so on and so on.

People have to realize that this phone is very high tech and that there is a lot to this device. With that being said, be sure to get the most out of your phone but be smart about it.

I use my phone for just about everything, GPS, web browsing, tone of call with my bluetooth, camera and video camera and I get a full 10 -12 hrs a day with the OEM battery. I am just fine with that. Its a hell of a lot better than the iPhone witch only lasted me 4-5 hrs. I hate the iPhone.

• OK – thanks for the tip… how come yours doesn’t say “Android System”? That is what uses up the most juice on my EVO … like in the range of 25-35% of the power is going to the Android system…. that’s what made me think you were in some other special type of Standby system…

• I am wowed by how much life you get out of the batter. Even trying to turn stuff off I don’t get that great of life on it. I think I may buy the extended battery as well as try to follow all the helpful tips I am finding on this site.

• You might want to check and make sure your email and other Google apps aren’t syncing too often in the background. If you don’t need your email to automatically check every few minutes, set it to manual mode so you have more control.

My battery life is right in line with Hugo’s, but I have gone through and really optimized all of my settings based on past experience with all kinds of smart phones over the years. Now if I leave 4G on, that zaps the battery like nothing else, but I rarely turn it on and only for short bursts.

• Make sure you stay on top of the app killer. Also, I don’t charge the battery till its in the red. The 1st couple of charges I did it with the phone off. I don’t take the battery off the charger until I am ready to walk out the door then I am off to the races. I really am surprised that the battery is lasting me the 10-12 hrs. I am not complaining. I will be getting that extended battery (1750) just to make sure I never run into any issues. But again stay on top of the app killer. That is key.

• “Android System” isn’t listed because the battery doesn’t use it when the phone is in standby.

• Hi all,

Went to bed last night at 11 with the battery at 84%, woke up this morning at 7 am and the battery is at 82%. I am running Apollo Task Manager, have 4G off (no service around here), wi-fi off (no wi-fi here, either), and GPS off. I really have no problem with battery life but I traded up from the Palm Pre – which didn’t always make it through a day either. Right now, I seem to get 14 hours pretty easy as long as I am in areas with decent cell service.

Pretty happy so far!

• Thanks. That was the 1st article I read on this site. Again, great site.

I turned off sense, which I actually really like, just to see how it affected the battery life. With sense on, moderate usage I unplugged at 9am and it died about 7 hours later. With sense off, at 8 hours I was at 50% life still, I then used the phone very heavly in last 3 hours but it lastes a complete 12 hours with heavy/moderate usage throughout the day. I have no worries getting through the day without a charge now(I charge at night) and I have come to like the EVO non “sense” now that I have some custom widgets and have it set up so that it is useful again. I do miss the sense bottom bar, the one that has “phone” in it as well as the clock/weather widget. Still trying to find one to add..

ps. I still LOVE my EVO!

• Can you please give me some feedback about your Seidio 1750mah battery that you bought and are using in your HTC EVO?? I wanted to buy it but before I do I’d like to hear what others who are using it say!! Also I think you should create a Twitter account so that way we can follow the site which I think is really good and always be informed and talk back and forth with you etc!!!

My phone is in standby. Today I unplugged it and left it alone. Checked it 45 minutes later and 10% was used. I am doing something wrong and I turned everything off like you advised. I also used an app killer. Do you have any other advise? Thanks.

Thanks Chris. Are you referring to the settings under wireless and networks? If so I have done that.

Just to add a little to this discussion: I applied a few of the battery saving tips from this blog and got almost 33 hours out of my evo on a single charge. I could have gone more but I wanted to go to sleep and didn’t want to wake up to a dead phone, so at 20% I plugged it in and went to bed. I wanted to take a screen shot to post up here but I didn’t come and see that shootme could do it without root on the EVO :( sorry all, but I promise the battery did last that long and I DID use the phone for what I would consider normal use (gChat, exchange sync, gmail sync, talking, texting, installing apps, playing around with icons etc.)

I’ll try and relive the experience now that I have shootme installed.

• I’m still doing the unnecessary charging cycles that Seidio says is requires to improve performance, but so far it seems to be about the same: 36 hours or so with my typical usage.

I’m @pocketables on Twitter. I don’t have an automatic feed for this site set up there, so it’s just my personal tweets and the Pocketables.net feed.

• your funny “unnecessary charging cycles” LOL well when you get done please be sure t get back to me ASAP LOL.. thanks for ur info and I like this new site Keep up the great work!! what do you think about the amzer 1800mah slim battery??

• I’m not sure 50mAh will make much difference and I don’t know anything about Amzer’s batteries, so I personally wouldn’t but it.

Seidio’s batteries have been called out for being less than their stated capacities, but not everyone seems to have the same issue and they’re a brand that’s been around for a while.

• OT, but what are you using to capture screen shots on your EVO?

Thanks! :)

• Opps!! Nevermind – I just saw your post regarding the ShootMe app. I’ll go check that out (and promise to search in the future) lol

• One big infomerrcial for the screen widget linked earlier. Impossible battery claims! Complete BS…

I am currently at 17h 35m since unplugged.

29% Cell Standby (What is this??? When I click it, it says “Battery used by Cell Radio”) Is there a Radio station or something constantly on? The “Time on” for the Cell Radio is also the same as my time since last unplugged. So, maybe that is eating some extra battery life and always on?

24% Android System

24% Phone Idle

11% Voice calls

8% display

4% Dialer

• Sounds like it’s not charged to its capacity.
    Did you initially charged it to full before used it, then drained it a couple of times?
    try to let it drain completely then charge it to full.
    Otherwise I suspect the battery gone bad. Better get a new battery from the stores within a month.

• Same here. My “Android System” is always above 20% Right now it is at 48%. My friends Droid always shows the :Android System” in the single digits.

when i check my battery usage it only shows Android System at 100% why is that?