AccessoriesGood and EVO

5+ days of standby on HTC EVO with Seidio 1750mAh battery

Evo-standby-5days

It's been a really hectic week for me so my HTC EVO 4G has been sitting around in standby more than usual. It isn't my primary anything (phone, MID, whatever) because I'm a gadget addict, so it isn't an integral part of my day-to-day routine. I like to use it whenever I can, of course, but my schedule (or baby girl) doesn't always allow that.

So after 5 days and 56 minutes of primarily being in standby, the Seidio 1750mAh slim battery I've been using for almost a month in my EVO is down to 14%. I mentioned the other day how its performance was improving over time, so this kind of standby time isn't something I've experienced before.

When my EVO is in standby mode:

• WiFi, 3G, background data, and auto-sync (Google and Twitter) are on
  • New email (not Gmail) is retrieved every hour during peak times and every 2 hours off-peak
  • Sense weather widget updates every hour
  • Auto-kill in task killer is never used
  • Always-on mobile data and data roaming are off

Even though this is just standby time and not active usage time, I'm still impressed. A lot of my other devices don't last that long, and most aren't even fetching data.

Note: Whenever I write about standby battery life, at least one person in the comments will say something about how the usage chart is inaccurate because I didn't use the phone or ask why the "Android System" percentage is so low. *sigh* The word standby is used in the title and throughout the post because I'm referring to—you guessed it—standby time.

24 thoughts on “5+ days of standby on HTC EVO with Seidio 1750mAh battery

• i just ordered one off of amazon i guess i had a promotion thing so it was $22 i hope its better

• Thats great and all that your phone can be in standby for 5 days but what use is that? You want the battery life to be good when you use it. I can save money on my gas bill by keeping my car parked.

• Was the phone connected to a WiFi source during that entire time?

• hey Jenn, I noticed the usage chart is inaccurate…na..I’m just messing with you….thanks for the info, I think I’ll go ahead and get one. Happy 4th!

• Jenn is providing an example of what can be accomplished since we don’t always use our phones or devices every waking minute of the day.

With my definition of daily use: Twitter checking, Internet, some calls, Marketplace Searching, Messaging, I can achive over 40hrs on a single charge with time to spare.

• I’m guessing 4G was turned off. I think that’s the real sucker on this phone, even in standby.

• Can you post exactly how you switch between this suspended mode and regular mode with your phone?

• I’m also showing it because I’m using the Seidio 1750mAh, which a lot of people are interested in. Performance is improving, as I was never able to get 5+ days of standby out of it before. When I was using the stock battery, it would last for about 80 hours or so under the same conditions that the Seidio is now providing 120+ hours.

That’s useful info to me.

• Most of the time, yes. I have my WiFi sleep policy set to Never, so the only time the phone would connect to 3G would be if my router (AirPort Extreme) or ISP were having problems.

• ;-D

I think you meant you ask why “Android System” is only showing 2%.

Happy (almost) 4th to you too!

• Any time the screen is off but the phone is still on and not doing anything like streaming music or downloading (e.g., overnight, when it’s just sitting there), then it’s in standby. Sometimes an app will prevent it from sleeping properly, so if your standby battery life is really poor, then you should check to make sure that the Awake and Up times are different (Settings -> About phone -> Battery).

• Thank you.

It does lead me to wonder how you go 5 days without getting a phone call. Of course, I have no land-line in my home any more so sitting on standby for 5 days will never be an issue for my phone. :-)

How you turn off roaming? You not on airplane mode

@pirtaballally

This only shows standby, bra. No calls no twittering

• The thing of it is this pho.e is a great te analogy demo but for real mobile power users ie people that are in the field for most of the work day need durable reliable phones with high levels of functionality this phone (maybe any smartphone? ) has some drawbacks ie the actual in call phone menu on the blackberry is better it is my h easier to cut/copy /paste data on the blackberry curve the the the.ING on speaker phone mid callous not work when Bluetooth is on I use this all the time on my blackberry I found call quality better on ATT w/ my old blackberry I could type much faster on my blackberry I can’t figure out how to alt-tab through open programs on this it mayest better to get a food idea le phoned car xhafgef for yourlaptop

As you can seefrom this post typing onfhe qwerty key.oats is a nightmare when you aretryimg totyoefast

• I don’t wanttobe rude but who cares how long a phone can sit around on standby without being used? I really think u need to start using the evo as youreveryday phoe so you canexperie.ce the frustrations that people rely on this phone for business critical funCtions are feeling

LA realestate, did you type this on your BB? Clearly you are a wizz. Try holding home button on Android. She is merely saying theseido is giving pretty good performance compared to stock

You can’t type nor do you have a brain to use the awesome spell check

• Does anyone know why my Android system usage is astronomical (like 45%) ?

• I’m thinking about getting the Seido battery, but before I do I wanna know: Has anyone had any problems with it? Such as performance issues, improper voltage etc. I’ve always been cautious about aftermarket batteries. This is my only phone, and the extra battery life would be nice.

Something weird is happening to me. three weeks in and I am now seeing excellent unplugged performance from my Evo and the stock battery.

So I got to reading up on the best ways of maintaining these batteries and it’s basically to never let them deplete completely. I have been recharging a little below mid-level on the battery for a week to test the readings, and as of now my Evo says “1d 5h 17m 18s since unplugged”, and I still have about a 10% left according to the warning that just came up.

Before I would unplug like clockwork at 7am when I leave for work and would never make it anywhere close to 6pm leave of work before receiving alerts. I went an entire 24hrs without any alerts, I am insanely excited about this new performance.

I have noticed nothing but great battery performance since the update last week, more reasons to love my Evo.

• My battery came in! I hope I got a good one!

hi jenn i am intrested in buying this battery and i would like to know if you can do a review using the battery with normal to heavy usage to see how many hours you will get

Thanks