StreakSmartTips & Deals

Dell Streak doesn’t use same 30-pin connector as iPhone

Streak-iphone-connector (1)

One of the first things I did with my Streak was try to plug the 30-pin connector cable for the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch into it. The Streak uses a 30-pin cable for charging and connecting to a computer and at first glance (see photo below), the two connectors look identical.

I've had all four iPhones, my husband has two iPod touches, and we have an iPad so there are a lot of those cables lying around. I have two Streak cables now that I have two Streaks but I only had one when I tried it. I was hoping it would fit because proprietary cords are such a pain, especially when you use a lot of mobile devices and everything has its own cord, but as you can see from the photo above (not to mention the title of this post), the iPhone and Streak cables aren't interchangeable.

Streak-iphone-connector (2)

I know from the emails I've been getting that some of you were hoping that they were, so I wanted to confirm that they aren't before anyone stocked up on iPhone cables from eBay.

6 thoughts on “Dell Streak doesn’t use same 30-pin connector as iPhone

• wow. That sucks. that wasn’t the answer I was looking for. damn. That sucks. really sucks. Can’t stress it anymore. . That was one question I was waiting on to get answered. not very happy.

• This is pretty much what I expected. I’m sure there are legal issues involved keeping Dell from using Apple’s connector.
    My disappointment* is that they used a proprietary connector in the first place. Have these engineers never heard of mini/micro USB? Or micro HDMI connectors? They could have placed them on the bottom (side?) of the unit in such a way that a dock still worked.

* “If it weren’t for disappointment, I wouldn’t have any appointments” –TMBG

• i thought all devices were going to the micro usb interface. manufacturers have to know that consumers want to be able to use ONE charger for everything! wireless charging of this unit using the powermat might be the way to go for this…

• Ah oh no Jenn! What have you done placing such a nice piece of a product next to one made by Apple. Of coarse they wouldn’t be the same!

How cool if they made a transformer from Dell 30 pin to iPhone 30 pin? (well it wouldn’t be that cool)

• I had wanted to own a Dell Streak the moment I first learned about it. Then came the deal breaker: this proprietary connecting cable! And for the past month it has been available in my city, I have tried to persuade myself to get over it one way or another – and then there was my thought that “maybe it uses the same cable as my ipod…” so I looked and looked and, thanks Jenn, I got the answer I wanted. Fools in Dell are like those in Samsung and many other manufacturers: they don’t understand that people tolerate Apple products’ shortcomings (such as proprietary connectors, iTune, lack of buttons…) just because these products excel by miles in other aspects. If Apple did away with these shortcomings, everyone on the planet would be using Apple products and Dell and Samsung can switch to produce manual typewriters. However, these super fools from Dell think as long as they copy some of the Apple products’ most notorious drawbacks and their products will look cool (and sell better??). I wonder how Dell recruited people of such low intelligence (advertisments in luna bins?”?”

Hi, I got in some trouble here. My dell streak 5 30 pin port got damaged, hence cant charge my device. Do you know somewhere I could buy the port and have it DHL to Nigeria. I appreciate any assistance..