AccessoriesGood and EVO

HTC EVO user makes own car mount on the cheap

Evo-gps-mount-mod (1)

Grown weary of waiting for the official car mount for the HTC EVO 4G to be released, G&E reader Francisco wrote in to show us how he took matters into his own hands and made one for himself.

It isn't as full-featured as the HTC HD2 car mount mod but at around a tenth of the cost, who cares! It gets the job done and suits Francisco's needs just fine.

Evo-gps-mount-mod (2)

All he did was buy a $10 EVO case on eBay and attach it to an old TomTom mount with some Gorilla Glue. Easy!

Evo-gps-mount-mod (3)

19 thoughts on “HTC EVO user makes own car mount on the cheap

• Best buy sells generic ones for $30 I think, I’ve had mine too long to remember, it’s made by rocketfish. I like the looks of his better though.

• but if you don’t have a random windshield mount laying around, you cant really do it on the cheap…

That particular mount is going for 8 bucks on ebay.

• “A special 3M tape provides the stoutest fixation to a dashboard…”

I have yet to find any kind of double-sided tape, 3M or otherwise, that will adhere anything for any length of time to either of my vehicles. Not even something as lightweight as a trash bag will hold for long. I’ve even tried stuff that is supposed to be super strong hold, and nothing holds more than a day or two, max. Sorry, not trusting my baby to something like that. lol

• I love my car too much to put adhesive on the dash or any other visible place. That stuff never comes off of anything without leaving a mark. And like khassy says, it never stays on that long.

how do you release a phone without accessories? This is the only thing that pisses me off about the EVO.

• There’s quite a lot of acccessories available for the Evo. Even before I bought it, I had a car charger, travel charger, screen protectors, windshield mount cradle, case, extra batteries and a stand-alone charger styus, etc. Granted, some items weren’t specifically for the Evo but were still useable since they were “universal.” Some of us don’t need officially branded items with the HTC logo on them.

• But does it hold the phone/thing solidly enough to touch the screen? It looks like it swivels from the head, so it would bob back and forth when you’re touching the phone face…

• Meh, lots of the universal stuff is poor fitting or of dubious quality. And phone specific stuff will have much better locations for the fittings; I want a dock that has a male power plug so I don’t have to wire my phone every time I put it in the car. Also disappointed HTC doesn’t really release accessories for their phones.

• True, but everything I’ve gotten so far works fine on my Evo. The only thing I had to replace was the windshield mounted and that wasn’t because there was something wrong with it, it just doesn’t work in my SUV as well as a vent-mounted cradle does. Works fine in our car.

• Just don’t buy the USB cables from GTMax on Amazon unless you plan to throw your money away. Different vendors sell this brand. I’ve tried multiple cables from that brand, for different purposes, and have been disappointed each time. I won’t order that brand any more. Sorry.

• The mount has screws at each pivot point, and comes with an allen wrench that you can position, then tighten down. I don’t want mine moving at all, so I have it tightened down.

The adhesion is small, and strong. The mount itself is metal and can molded to any flat or curved surface. This could even be mounted on a steering wheel if you wanted.

I have had it in my MDX, on the dash for over a month in heat up to 105 outside, and it is rock solid.

Trust me, for $10, this is the best mount you can get. You will be very impressed with the quality of the product and how well it works, and how slim the design is.

• Actually ProClip does have a device holder that works great for the HTC EVO. Its not a custom device holder but an adjustable generic one and here is the link:

I bought it.. adjusted it… and now it fits my EVO perfectly. Holds it very firm and it is easy to slide it into and out of this device holder..

• Having installed through best buy for years, 3M adhesive tape is incredible. It’s removable, and (if you do it right…which is where a lot of people’s problems lie) it holds long and strong. I bought this mount and i love it. I just need a simple clip on case to leave with the mount instead of having a bulky one on my phone all the time.

After another month, do you still recommend? I’m in south Texas where the heat is brutal. Wondering how it will hold up.