StreakSmart

Red Dell Streak now available unlocked in UK

Red-streak-ukJoining its carbon black sibling that has been available unlocked from Dell UK for the past month, the glossy cherry red Streak is now listed on the company's website as shipping in 24 hours.

The new color, which is also expected to be offered in the US at some point, can be purchased at the same price of the original device (£449, VAT and shipping included).

The 32GB version of the Streak that O2 is carrying has not been added to the Dell UK site (likewise, the red option isn't available from the carrier), so you'll need to buy your own 32GB microSDHC cardir?t=streaksmart 20&l=ur2&o=1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here if you want the added storage tucked inside the cherry red casing.

When I asked which color from the leaked slides you would choose if they were all available at launch, most of you chose red or black so Dell UK made a good decision by choosing to release red as the first non-black alternative. It would've been better if the color had been available alongside the unlocked carbon black model last month, as I'm not sure how many current users would sell their Streaks just to get one in red, but at least new buyers have more choices.

Red-streak-uk-order

Thanks, Peter!

22 thoughts on “Red Dell Streak now available unlocked in UK

• Great news, thanks for the update!

Now if some of you brilliant, beautiful, and resourceful folks in the UK could please start a grey market for the Streak, I’m sure you will find plenty of willing customers here in the good ‘ol US of A.

I mean the VAT and shipping on the Dell UK site looks pretty horrible, but I think an enterprising person could find some profitable margin in there somewhere.

PLEASE?

• Great news, thanks for the update!

PLEASE?

• what new buyers? ;)
    You do realize that some of us enjoy this site now even more, but for different reason than the original one that brought us here. I am here for the amusement in this surely historic (or maybe hysteric?) release.

Meh… After half a year of anticipation of the Streak, I finally decided and ordered the N900.

Maemo FTW!

@Tal: True dat! I will be coming here for a laugh in the weeks to come…

• N900 and Meamo FTW about 7 months ago…

Streak blows the N900 away IMO

• Agreed, specs-wise — that is why I wanted to buy it. Buy they aren’t selling it now, are they?

Plus, I can find a good use for the $200 I will be saving…

• This is crazy why does the UK get the Streak before the U.S. now they get a red one too. Next time Dell if you are going to Dick us, kiss us first please! I’m already losing interest in this device!

• All our complaining is doing no good, Dell does not care how many posts we make. This is evident in them releaseing the STREAK in UK.

Did they think they could keep all the short comings to a smaller group in the UK, versus the USA, where it would have been gobbled up, as one of the best phone/tablets in the world. Now they waited to deal with the damn communistic cell phone companies, so we can all be KY’d.. Oh my bad, with no KY.

This is so cruel..

• wish dell streak would be released in Australia with all the colours :)

• Let’s face it, the whole delay here in the States is because AT&T is going to force an exclusive lock on the Streak and we won’t see it unlocked this year.

AT&T is about to be hit with another guaranteed loss class action suit over its attempts to force buyers of smartphones to purchase a data plan, or lose voice service. Acceding to any of AT&T’s schemes along those lines could open Dell up to be included in said litigation.

I submit if that indeed is the hold up, then we are far more likely to never see the Streak in the US at all then we are to see AT&T dictate available ownership terms.

I don’t mind Dell opening up in the UK. That shows some business smarts since they’re just getting ramped back up in the cell biz. The UK is tech savvy and I would want to know any issues from a smaller market before going full bore.

Dell has the Streak with O2 AND unlocked in the UK. If it doesn’t come to the States directly, then we know it’s not tech or supply issues.

I am still a bit confused about whether a UK Streak would actually work on the 3G ATT US network. WOULD IT? I know someone who could ship it for me. Guess not, looking at the UMTS frequencies:

US bands:
    UMTS 2100 / 1900 / 850 MHz
    GSM / EDGE 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz
    HSDPA / HSUPA:HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

UK bands:
    UMTS 2100 / 900 MHz
    GSM / EDGE 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz
    HSDPA / HSUPA:HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

• The Manager of my local Phone House (Streak retailer in France) called me yesterday to advise that he was expecting delivery of three black and three red Streaks, today (Saturday) at the latest.

I told him to put a red one aside and call me immediately.

I’ll keep you posted on purchasing conditions. If the packaging looks any different from the UK, I’ll post that information, too.

• How nice our American friends are (BL, StarLog…). Communistic cell phone companies ! Sure !

• #bandconfused:

I had not seen that in the specs. I guess I let my eyes catch the 850 in the GSM line and saw it as UMTS. I know AT&T uses the 850 MHz for the UMTS 3G here now and shifted 2G to 1900 MHz.

Why would they do this is in this day and age? Leaving 850 in would allow it to pass approval in both markets. Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t iPhone uses just swap sims between O2 and AT&T if their phones are unlocked?

It really does appear that the Streak will be DOA now here. Thanks AT&T!

• #bouda:

Not speaking for StarLog, but I believe the reference was dealing with the US cell phone companies.

(Because we all know that the UK companies are Socialist!) ;-]

• the 4 at&t reps at my local (in the US) corporate store had never heard of the dell streak… i dont think they’d be that ignorant about a device that’s release is imminent. im not holding my breath for the US at&t release any time soon.

• it really looks like dell does not give a F*ck about us customers and its more concerned and launching in euro.

• Actually I am nice I love the UK I would have you guys in the trenches with me any day! Its not your fault we dont have the Streak over here yet. No blame on you all blame goes to Dell and their sorry ass marketing dept. If I was the janitor there I could do better than the past month has been!

• Why does the Dell website has more information about the Aero than the Streak?The Streak is s upposed to be a revolutionary device. Oh, What to do?The LCD on the Motorola V400 that replaced my broken Iphone 3G finally went out. Dell refuses to release the Streak and if they do the Cherry Red Streak will not be available at launch. Apple refuses to release the White Iphone 4. Google refuses to sell the Nexus One online. A new 2yr contract for an Iphone 3G or 3GS ,the Black Iphone 4G, the Captivate,T-mobile,Verizon,and Sprint are not options for me. Blackberry 9800 isn’t available until August 15. Ughh!