AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

WidgetLocker adds shortcuts and widgets to HTC EVO lock screen

Evo-widgetlocker One of the main reasons for disabling the lock screen on the HTC EVO 4G is so that you have instant access to everything on your home screen. The problem, of course, is that your phone becomes more prone to accidental operation if the power button gets pressed when it's in your pocket or bag.

That's where WidgetLocker comes in.

It's a best-of-both-worlds app that lets you add shortcuts and Android widgets (not HTC widgets) to the lock screen. It's fully customizable with options for different lock sliders and settings for interacting with the apps/widgets (rather than just viewing them), being able to change the volume, and using any hardware key to wake the EVO.

You can add/remove items to/from the lock screen by launching the app or—even better—simply long pressing on the screen like you do on the regular home screen. Settings are only available through the app, but you'll rarely need access to those once you have everything set to your liking.

WidgetLocker is $1.99 in Android Market.

Thanks, Jeff!

Update: I just heard from the developer of WidgetLocker today that the latest version of Qik for HTC EVO 4G causes the phone's default Home to reset every time the user long presses the Home key. Qik has been notified of the problem but until it's fixed, the solution in the meantime is to uninstall the update by going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Qik for HTC EVO 4G -> Uninstall updates.

17 thoughts on “WidgetLocker adds shortcuts and widgets to HTC EVO lock screen

Wow I didn’t even know something like this was possible without rooting! I used to have something like this on my jailbroken iphone and it was great. Downloading now on my EVO!

• Thanks for this. Previously the only application i had that allowed the Lock Screen Widget was MixZing music app. Very Helpful.

I just bought this app and it’s great! I just wish you could change the bottom Custom Sliders to whatever you want. Not a big deal but it’d be nice to have the option. Again, great app, totally worth the 2 bucks.

• You can….

from the lockscreen hit the menu button go to Settings > Look and Feel > Slider and Layout and choose “No Slider”. This gets rid of the default lock sliders. Then on the lockscreen you can long press and choose Widgets > Custom Slider and setup whatever you’d like.

@twitter.com/portablealli: Awesome, Thanks!

I love this app! It gives my phone a fresh new feel.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to add more shortcuts to the shortcut list? I wanted to add Google Maps or Sprint navigation but they’re not on the list. I looked everywhere in the settings and didn’t see anything. Thanks.

• I bought this last Sunday and it has fast become one of my favorite apps. Definitely worth the $1.99. (And the developer is very responsive if you have questions.)

@twitter.com/portablealli: You just need to add > shortcuts > applications and you’ll be able to pick any app. If you have a lot of apps it might take a while to load the list; just be patient.

• Anyone know if there is a way to bypass the pattern lock for apps launched from this screen? I don’t want to completely disable the patter lock, but would love to bypass it for navigation and vlingo for example.

• I bought this last night for my EVO and love it. Works great. It’s like giving you an 8th screen (on top of the 7 that come with Sense)

Most useful app I’ve purchased so far. Thanks for the tip!

• There is not, but if you email the developer, I bet he will entertain your idea of excluding certain apps from pattern lock. I’ve emailed him twice and he’s very responsive.

• This is a great app. It basically replaces your lock screen, and because of that you lose the HTC weather animations… which I really miss.

I was looking for some way to control my music without unlocking the phone (a-la the iPhone’s double-tap-home-while-playing-music feature) and this is perfect! Not only that, but I now have a really quick way to access the camera and my first complaint about this phone (only way to wake is with power button) has been completely solved all by this one app. Totally worth the $1.99!!

P.S Add beautiful widget to get your HTC like clock and weather right on the lock screen! Perfect! (for me)

• How can one use widgetlocker to look like the default froyo launcher? Is that possible? Or does widgetlocker only work on the default homescreen?

• I was wondering how can i use widgetlocker to automatically lock and show my main home screen on my HTC Evo 4g