StreakSmart

Dell Streak performs poorly in benchmark tests

Streak-benchmarks

Although the Dell Streak is more tablet than phone, it will still be grouped with and pitted against Android superphones when it's released in the US. Assuming that day will come sooner than later, among the Streak's Android "rivals" will be the HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X, and Samsung Captivate.

You've already seen side-by-side photos and specs comparisons of those phones here at Streak Smart (click on the respective links if you missed any of it) and while the Streak fared pretty well because of its 5-inch screen, it wasn't so lucky in an Android benchmark battle I just posted on Pocketables. In fact, it came in last in almost every test.

An update to Android 2.2 and the removal of whatever is imposing the 30 fps cap would drastically improve the scores and keep the device in the ring with the competition. As it stands, however, the Streak has definitely lost this round. Benchmarks aren't everything, of course, and they often mean nothing in terms of real-world usage, but they are a standard measurement of performance included in many reviews that consumers read while making purchasing decisions.

[Pocketables]

34 thoughts on “Dell Streak performs poorly in benchmark tests

• I’m kind of curious how the Streak would do if it wasn’t running 1.6. It kind of seems like you’re not comparing apples to apples :) but, only time will tell.

Wow, you guys are die hard….and I like it!!
    I’m in for some post upgrade tests as well. So, how do we go about getting said results?…anyone?

Not even close to a fair test since the streak is running almost a year old software, Android Donut(1.6)

That’s about as fair a comparison as a iPhone 3G running iOS 3.0 vs an iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0 not even fair

Specially since google has said froyo or even android 2.1 is a giant preformance boost over the older android versions

• Jenn…

This news item, while objective, comes off as subjective due to the title and tone. And as others here have mentioned, these are NOT fair benchmarks. I’m concerned about people that may be searching for Streak information and finding blurbs like this that could discourage them from purchasing one.

• Jeen can post whatever she wants, including whatever tone she feels like. I do not think the article was biased, just presenting her findings.

A LOT has to do with Android 1.6. Get 2.2 on the device and I would assume the benchmark results would be that of the Captivate, Droid X, Evo, ect.

I think the below sentence alone is sufficient enough to revoke your concern:
    “Benchmarks aren’t everything, of course, and they often mean nothing in terms of real-world usage”

• I think Jenn is about as unbiased as can be, considering she runs this site devoted to nothing but the Streak, yet she posts the positive *and* negative things about it. Probably a hard thing to balance, since Dell seems determined to make the Streak DOA when it finally goes on sale here.

Seems totally fair to me to compare all of the devices with their latest firmware available at the time of testing, and it’s not anyone’s fault but Dell’s that the Streak lags behind the competition. I know a bunch of you are overly anxious for the Streak, but there’s no reason to keep apologizing on Dell’s behalf, especially regarding a Froyo upgrade that is probably several months away.

I’m sure the benchmarks will be updated in the future, but for now “what is” trumps “what if”

I have to say 1.6 is making this phone suck a bit at the minute I want to play with the bigger boys and I’m still looking through the fence. Its flawed at the minute as the streak sits in my hand and its possibly why the us is still to see a release date. (Fingers crossed) A good update would really make this a great and not a good phone.

P.s. I’m still raging that I cannot play games that have multi touch its a small thing to some but commuting sucks and while they have attempted there own version its crap and does not work outside custom apps. One of many flaws I could post but roll on this suckas release in the US with 2.2….?

• The Streak is slower than my X10 in day to day use – not much, but there’s a definite difference in responsiveness. Its not something you’d notice unless you went from one to another and tried the same things though. The important thing here is that both are running 1.6 so OS isn’t a factor.

Of course the Streak’s bigger screen and keyboard and more impressive OS customization more than make up for the barely noticeable difference in performance…

FAIL 1.6 i still think i want this phone but im getting really close to making a decision. i just don’t trust dell to update to 2.2 anytime soon

• They are fair in that I tested all four devices in their stock conditions. I did not grab three modern phones and put them up against an ancient one. This is the current state of all the devices. Simple as that, really.

The Streak cannot be viewed in a vacuum just because it runs an outdated version of Android. Dell is the one making the playing field uneven, as it is fully aware of the competition.

Also, there is no way to sugarcoat these numbers. The Streak got the lowest scores. If people are discouraged from buying the device solely because of these numbers, then I think I just helped them make an informed decision. My intention is not to turn people off from the Streak, of course, but there is no way to be honest about something if I ignored anything that made it look bad and only sung its praises. The scores are disappointing, yes, but it is not my fault.

• Completely understood – I apologize if I came off harsh in any way. I continue to support the site and your proponent position on the Streak. I never blamed you for any info you posted – facts are facts.

• Well, until I turn on the Streak and it’s running Eclair or Froyo, these are the scores it gets.

The device *is* running almost year-old software, yes. Tell that to Dell. I didn’t choose the OS versions myself and load them onto the devices so that the Streak would look bad!

• I agree with Jenn! For me, what actually attracted me to this website was how real and honest a device was reviewed.

How can one be discouraged from buying something THAT’s STILL NOT FOR SALE??? =D

I’m hoping this 2nd major delay is due to Dell porting 2.1 or 2.2 for the US release. Unfortunately, it seems like AT&T delayed it for the IP4, then again for the Torch.

I wasn’t put off by 1.6 initially since Dell’s customizations pretty much covered the difference for my use, but the difference in sheer day-to-day performance and battery life is becoming a concern for me at this point. If it weren’t for Samsung’s horrible track record at delivering (promised!) updates, I’d have already purchased a Captivate.

• I think the delay is all AT&T’s fault. They are making Dell disable things and add there crappy to it.

• Its really frustrating to see all the hoopla over the Torch crackberry today and not one inkling of Streak news. Im starting to lean more toward the Samsung galaxy tablet at 7 inches at least they know how to set a date!

• Spot on analysis. I really like the form factor and the apparent build quality, but I won’t buy during the pre-sale unless Dell announces the date for the 2.2 upgrade. (I also would like Red to be available, but that’s not a buy/no buy decision).

You can’t ask premium prices and then not deliver premium support. This won’t be a first tier product without at least 2.1.

• Really close to giving up on this device. I don’t trust Dell to do anything right with this.

• I wouldn’t call before October a date. Also unlike the Streak there are no firm specs released for the device. It’s all speculation at this point. No one knows for sure if it in fact will even have phone capabilities or what UMTS bands it will run on if it does. I’m one of the people waiting to upgrade to it if it comes even close to the rumours.

Got one off eBay and absolutely love it!! Just waiting for Eclair or Froyo. Word on the street is that Europe may be getting Eclair very soon..

• hope im allowed to post links, this is a screenshot of a streak supposedly running 2.1. Its fairly obvious the software is a bottleneck when the streak uses very similar hardware to other phones.

• Performs poorly ??

Got it yesterday in here France and it is as fast as you need it to be. The multi-tasking is definitely such an improvement over my 3GS that the device seems much faster when you actually use it.

• When I first read this post and saw a few comments pointing it’s unfairness towards Streak, I couldn’t connect with them. Jenn’s statement you highlighted did take away the worry about Streak being inferior. But later when I read the Pocketables post, I think I understand their concern. Jenn has been doing a very good job at being unbiased in all her posts and she maintained it in this post as well. But what many are concerned about is how shallow the pocketables post is in a way. As a reviewer one would want to talk about the results as in why one does well and the other doesn’t and such. Jenn didn’t do much of it in her pocketables post. The mention of the possible better results after froyo update for Streak was missing in that post as well. So, it is true that less tech savvy people would look at pocketables post and form a negative opinion about Streak for the wrong reasons. I already see a few people who were reacting as if the tests were run on Streak at it’s ultimate capability.

• I think you forgot to read the rest of the title. It performs poorly _in benchmark tests_. :-)

• I can’t help but think that the reactions would be very different if the Streak didn’t come in last. I can imagine all the “Wow! Even with 1.6, the Streak is still the best” comments if it scored higher. I don’t think anyone would say the tests were unfair then, even though they are actually as fair as possible considering that they’re all running their latest firmware. It’s not as though I purposely slapped 1.6 on the Streak to cast it in a negative light and gave everything else 2.1 or 2.2 so they could make it look bad.

I didn’t offer any analysis of the benchmarks on Pocketables because it wasn’t a review. I also think the numbers speak for themselves. I mention at the end of the post that the results would be interesting to see once all the devices were running Froyo.

OS is not the only factor at play, though. Even when the Streak does get Froyo, it still won’t be able to “beat” the Droid X or Captivate (and other Galaxy S phones) in the majority of those benchmark tests because of its CPU and GPU.

Personally, I think it’s just a natural reaction for people to defend a product they like when it “loses” to another product.

Someone seeing the benchmarks and then forming a negative opinion of the Streak (or a positive opinion of the X or Captivate) isn’t something that I would say is “for the wrong reasons.” If benchmarks are meaningful to you, then the results are useful.

It also isn’t fair to wait for the Streak to run at its “ultimate capability” before running the tests; otherwise, we may as well wait for all of them to be running Gingerbread.

• I was only trying to analyze why some people reacted the way they did. I was neither criticizing nor suggesting anything about your post. We all appreciate what you have been doing (well, at least I do). What you said is true and if I turn each sentence around, it would be as much a truth. So, let’s leave it at that and hey, thanks for all the work you have been doing. Don’t mind the fanboys, they are not good for your health ;)

• Finally had it with waiting on the Streak. Ordered a Droid X today with a 1-yr contract. Will be looking next summer for another ~5″ screen phone to come out.

I have a Blackberry storm right now and know all about getting lied to and waiting and waiting for improvements to an operating system.

If the new OS, 2.2, is coming out later this year, then Dell really probably means, March.

Annoyingly there’s a 2 week wait for Droid X now, wish I hadn’t waited for the Streak and gotten in when they came out.

• What I don’t understand with some of you regarding the test of being unfair is that all four of these devices are running the latest and greatest OS updates available for them. I think the test was fair, wasn’t Jenn’s fault the Streak is running 1.6. Not like there was an update that could of been applied before the benchmarks were done. Some people like to buy equipment that is up to date and ready to go today, not something that has the “possibility” of being updated in the future. Since you guys are die hard you should know better not to take these test 100%. Even though the Streak failed poorly I still haven’t excluded it as a possible purchase if the damn thing ever comes out.

damn! i thought those mysterious blue looking things in att stores were the dell streak! but turns out it was the lame BB torch/touch or whatever the hell you call it. i was so let down and disapointed big time! i dont think i can take this any longer.sigh. i guess ill just old on to my iphone 3gs for now untill something way better than the stupid dell streak comes along.