StreakSmart

Dell Streak Support page shows AT&T as wireless provider

Streak-att-support_wm

One of the theories behind AT&T blocking network access from Dell Streak beta units is that the official release is just days away. It seems we're always on the brink of the US release, I know, but a new development spotted by various Streak-obsessed readers who are stalking the company's website shows promise: the addition of a dedicated Dell Streak Support page.

As you can see from the screenshot, AT&T is shown quite prominently as the wireless provider. The device's 3G bands confirmed AT&T support months ago, of course, but other than the mistakenly published post about pricing, the carrier has never been officially named by Dell. We've never seen the AT&T logo on any of the Streak pages on Dell's website before either.

Update 8/3: And now it's gone.

Thanks to everyone in the forum and comments!

27 thoughts on “Dell Streak Support page shows AT&T as wireless provider

• Interesting: the Support page is at least partly functional and allows you to go to and download the Streak manual. Release must soon!

• I think the guy on Twitter who had his Streak blocked stated that he had the basic plan. I remember getting a warning from AT&T when I was using my friend’s iPhone with my basic data plan. Another source (1DleagueFan) on Twitter insisting that his Dell insider promised released by Friday the 6th and delivery by the following Monday..

OK, the silly thing is that we have to listen to unconfirmed “rumors” on Twitter trying to decipher Dell/AT&T intentions.. Well done Dell. Still impressed with Moto’s campaign for DroidX.

Guys, click on the FAQ. It brings you to an automated support agent. Wouldn’t that indicate a release date soon?

• ah too bad! might as well wait for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet Line Press Conference scheduled on Wednesday August 11th, they at least have the decency to provide release dates for their products

• Nah, Samsung is just going to announce some products Aug 11. God only knows when they’ll actually ship the things:

It does undermine my willingness to buy a streak before Aug 11, though, even if available (ha!), because who knows, Samsung MIGHT announce that it’s available right away. Though 7″ might be too big for my purposes… I want the biggest thing I can always have on my person (crammed into large jacket pocket would do), but 7″ might be larger than that.

Yeah, also thought about it, but you put it well – I’m looking for the biggest phone I can always comfortably have on my person, and 7″ is too big. And since I’m in SoCal and rarely ever wear a jacket, it makes it even more critical that it’s pants-pocketable.

• Yeh saw the Samsung news today about their 7 inch tablet and reported to also be a phone. I’m thinking thats literally like holding up a shoebox to your head while talking on the phone lol. Fingers crossed for some sort of news from Dell this week for the Streak FINALLY!

• I don’t care how dumb I look using the thing. Hell, I only make about two phone calls a day. I’d be willing to hold an iPad up to my head for just that. But it is critical for me that it be something I can carry with me everywhere I go, automatically, without thinking about it. That’s the main utility of this kind of gadget, that you don’t have to anticipate needing it, that you just have it with you always, ready whenever some need arises (for phone, maps, to look something up, check email, find yourself stuck and bored, etc.)

• It is encouraging that you can download software and users manuals from this new, US marked, page.

• If this thing is not sold unlocked without all the ATT crapware and restrictions I no longer want it. Sad day as I was extremely pumped for this device.

Is this the first stages of my dreams finally unfolding before my very eyes!?!? Dell will probably find another way to burst my bubble yet again. That Dell, always teasing and never actually putting out

• @streaked off: sounds like a few girlfriends I had back in the day…

But now seriously… This looks like it’s starting to unfold… And by that I mean that the device will hopefully *rolls eyes* be released soon..
    I am kind of upset that there hasn’t been any advertising for this phone… But hey, I guess that means that the people that have known about it will basically get first dibs…

• Id rather have a phone that most dont know about or can afford for that matter. Ive had the Iphone 2g and the 3GS now and disappointed with the Iphone 4 and the antenna fiasco. Its time to move on to bigger and better and the Streak fits the bill. Dell and or AT&T need to get off their asses with the US release and stop delaying the damn thing. Hell France has it now even in RED and we have nothing!

• I already jumped ship from the 3GS to the HD2 until the Streak is released. I have a feeling even that will be short lived once the Samsung Tape(?) arrives. FYI, the Tape and most other 7″ tablets will fit into the side pockets of cargo pants. That’s my plan.

• Sure would be nice to know it the Galaxy Tab would support TMOUS network for voice and 3G..

• An AWS version would be ok with me too. I would still take the ATT version first with that tablet because I get better coverage where I live.

• I’d like to see a picture of a 7″ device in cargo pants. Really. I’ve been curious about that. I don’t have a good feeling for how big 7″ is at all… I guess I could make a cutout or something…

• I’m not worried about the crapware. XDA-developers.com or one of the Android fan sites will have a clean ROM in no time. And since I’m on AT&T and happy with their service, I want my subsidized discount!

Of course, with the Captivate available for $89 w/ 2 yr. extension on Amazon, it’s getting tougher by the day to wait for the Streak.

was just about to say that.

• Archos 7 dimensions are 7.48″ x 4.33″ x 0.629″. My cargo pants side pocket is 7.75″ x 6.5″. This of course will vary with the size of clothes you wear.

• Dj-arsonizt called it!!!

Another stupid snafu…

• I wish people would stop quoting wrong prices for every phone on Amazon. The Captivate is $89 for new customers, $169 w/ 2yr contract upgrade/extension… and if you are a current AT&T customer with unlimited data, purchasing the Captivate through Amazon will knock you down to one of the capped plans.

• Ridiculous! Dell must be using this site for QA. Whenever we spot something that apparently no one at the company checked before it went live, it ends up disappearing. Thank goodness for screen shots. :-)

• I can’t deal with all this nonsense anymore. I picked up a Captivate last weekend, and I have to say it’s pretty nice.
    So it’s kindof like an ultimatum… if Dell and ATT can’t get their act together by the time my 30-day ‘trial’ period runs out, I keep the Captivate.