Good and EVO

Got root? HTC EVO 4G Android 2.2 (Froyo) does!

Evo-froyo-root Thanks to the tireless efforts of a team of people who have been working on this for the last few weeks, the first rooting method for Android 2.2 (Froyo) on the HTC EVO is now available.

It's a pretty involved process that isn't for the uninitiated (full instructions here) but with a little patience, you too can have root access on your stock Froyo'd EVO. Easier methods and probably even one-click apps similar to Universal Androot (which doesn't work on the EVO, by the way) should be available soon, so if command line prompts make you nervous, then you might want to wait. There's always an element of "proceed at your own risk" with rooting, so if you don't know how to get out of a sticky situation or think adb shell is something you find at the beach, then it's better to play it safe and hang tight until a simple root/unroot app method is released.

For everyone else, root on! Anyone do it yet?

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

29 thoughts on “Got root? HTC EVO 4G Android 2.2 (Froyo) does!

• Well, I’ve got MY plans tonite! :)

I’ve been rooted from the beginning and could not be happier. Rooting unlocks so many possibilities with the most beneficial being the ROM’s offered by the talented Android community. I’m running OMJ’s ROM with kingklicks kernel and could not be happier- it really makes my EVO perfect: Snappy, very good battery life and the deodexed ROM allows themes for the personalized look.

I agree those not familiar with rooting are best served waiting on an EZ Root or one-click method, otherwise as Jenn said, “root on”!

• Great news! I am going to wait for the one-clicker though. Hope it is soon. :) I would love to try my hand at the manual way, but I can’t risk bricking my phone while waiting for a call from prospective employers.

• I’m pretty much as noob as it gets, and i did it. Flashed a Fresh ROM, and love it! Do it!

I cannot be more grateful for the Android developers we have! They do it for the challenge and not the money like some other phone platforms I need not mention *cough* iPhone *cough*! I could not even start if it we up to me but they take time out of their lives to make ours better. Bravo to regaw_leinad, Sebastian Krahmer and the rest of the all-nighters!

• Can this method be used to reflash back to a stock HTC 1.47 RUU, in order to be on the final Eclair version for the EVO before Froyo came in and screwed up battery life and streaming music apps?

I don’t want or need to keep root or use custom ROMs, I just want my phone back the way it was before the OTA 2.2 update…what a mistake that was to do the upgrade.

i hear ya! i want to do the same. it broke my 2 favorite apps (Xm radio and Pandora) and killed RTSP video streaming….which makes my phone into pretty much just a phone for me now.

• How is this different from using the RUU program to bring yourself back to out of the box 2.1 and then following existing root methods that were around before this? Either way you lose everything on your phone. Not sure why that airplane mode trick is even needed…

• Not sure exactly what your reference to iPhone developers is implying…as someone who came from an iPhone (2.5 years) to an Evo 4G, I’m very happy with my switch, but the iPhone developers are good guys. Never ONCE paid to jailbreak or unlock, and they were just as committed as the Android guys. Let’s not be elitist just because we prefer Android OS.

As for the rest of your comment, I agree: thanks to everyone’s hard work for making this happen.

• I believe this rooting method does that since it reinstalls 2.1 then roots the phone. Then you are free to install any 2.2 ROM or stay on 2.1.

• You can’t use the 2.1RUU to roll back your phone. It doesn’t work. That’s why the excitement over this method is so high. This is the ONLY known way to root 2.1. The airplane mode switching is part of the exploit they’re using to get access.

• My EVO is already snappy, and I have an afer-market battery so I don’t worry about battery life.

So I still don’t get why rooting unlocks “so many possibilities.” Can you please elaborate?

I don’t know if I should root or not, just because I don’t want to lose ringtone settings, and app settings like Handcent SMS after setting up so many contacts with personal notifications.

• Ah, it requires HTC Sync. Does that mean this is for PCs only?

@Jenn K. Lee,

Will you be posting one of the “Easier methods” on this site when they become available? You said they “should be available soon”, I really hope that’s true. I wanty! Also, I love this site, thanks so much for running it!

@everyone,

1. Is there a way to backup the entire phone in its current state (apps, settings, stock 2.2, etc…) so I can easily undo the root?

2. If it’s not possible to go back to original stock 2.1/2.2 and keep my apps,settings, etc… is there a way to go back to just stock 2.1 or 2.2, not keeping my apps, settings, etc… after rooting?

Obviously option 1 is best but I’d be OK with option 2 if that’s all there is. Thanks.

• I rooted, and run Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1.

The most noticeable difference is that I installed a custom kernel that looks exactly the same, but runs at 54 fps. The UI is not just prettier–it’s much more usable. It visibly reacts faster to touches, swipes, and scrolling, and is much easier to follow a scrolling list.

Additionally, I obviously like and use the free wifi tethering quite a bit. It annoys me to no end that Sprint advertises unlimited data, but then demands another $30 per month to use a feature both built into the software and hardware even though you’re ostensibly paying for, as they advertised, unlimited data.

I was also glad to get rid of all of the Sprint crappy apps (“crapps?”) baked into the stock ROM.

I can see why some people who don’t need those features wouldn’t root. I didn’t do it for awhile myself, though I carefully avoided OTA updates just in case. But it’s also about feeling in-control of the device you paid for, which I really like.

• I’m a little surprised that nobody has really made good 1-click tools for Evo rooting yet. Unrevoked seems close, but it apparently doesn’t permanently unlock the NAND, which can make it hard to reliably use custom ROMs.

The original Toast method for rooting still seems most reliable. It has a learning curve, but you learn a lot by doing it.

That said, it’s annoying that the iPhone is the more closed platform, but has a dead simple jailbreak method…whereas for our open source Android phones, we have to go through 20 steps to root our devices.

i’m so lost in this conversation, what are the advantages to rooting the system,and alot of people say you can’t run wmv files, my evo seems to do fine with it.i still don’t get what the advantages are and what the system gains are HHHHHHHEEEELPP!!! sorry for my ignorance lol. great site. so informative , i love busting on the new iphone. i was so envious that sprint never had a phone to compete with the iphone (i had the instinct) now we’ve got THE phone sweet!!!

Ok I did it also, if you go to the XDA link than Jenn provided and follow the video walk-through there is no way that even the noobiest of the noobs can mess it up.. now I must go enjoy the spoils of having a rooted phone.. muhahaha, Thanks Jenn.

• Seems like the documentation assumes you’re running windows. Does that mean there’s currently no way to root your phone if you’re a Linux user? The irony of that would be staggering.

I have not upgraded to 2.2 because maintaining root access is that important to me! Why you ask, because, first and foremost I want to keep Wireless Tether. With a rooted phone, I am able to use my phone as a wireless hotspot, connecting all of my home computers and anyone else who wants to connect without have to pay Sprint 30 bucks for data that I am already paying them 160 bucks for. What else can I do? I can clean the cache of all apps at the same time because I am rooted, instead of clearing it program by program. I also have access to add and remove files from my phone that I cannot access without root access.

All of that having been said, basically if you want to tinker with your phone, install apps that require root access, use your phone as a wireless hotspot, then rooting is for you. If you simply want to use the phone as it came out of the box and do nothing else with it, you don’t need to root.

Also, people that are more techie than I am do A LOT of other things with their phones once they root them but I am not really into the deeper modifications. One thing that people love to do is remove all of the Sprint bloatware from the phone that they don’t use.

Google or go over to Engadget or Android Centeral, or XDA Developers and you can find out a lot more about rooting than I can ever tell you.

I am guessing your mouth is hanging open and you are in shock because I don’t believe that Linux is on the list yet. Have you been to the XDA site and searched for linux?

@Grey – Jeff pretty much summed up the benefits of rooting. I’ll add to that nandroid backup. This allows you to back up the entire “image” of your phone on your SD card. This is especially handy if you like to try different ROMs and themes without the worry of losing your data or bricking your phone. If you run into problems you boot into recover and flash back to your last saved image and your back in business. You can keep several images if you like depending on how big your SD card is.

I admit to being a bit of a geek when it comes to my EVO as it is not just a phone for me but a hobby as I enjoy flashing and trying new things. (ROMs, themes, kernels, etc.) For those without this interest I can see where rooting may not be seen as a benefit.

It is also worth noting that while your stock phone may feel fast and battery life good, it is nowhere near how good it can be.

• Dave, it can be done on a Mac. I did it without issue.

• Read thru the forums it can be done on PC, Mac or Linux. The Android SDK is available for all three platforms.

• Yeah, I ended up reading over the 100+ pages of that topic and found a Mac guide. Rooted in under a half hour with no problems (yet). Thanks.

• Is there a good rom with Sense goodness that works just like the stock 2.2? Meaning it has Sense plus no broken feature?

Tried to root my EVO and keep getting “Failed to Flash recovery image” message when I run unrevoked 3 exe. What’d I miss?

• Hmmm…”elitist”??? I think not. Had iPhone for about 20 min. Clicked on (Apple) website & got ****487 html errors****. One click. NOT exaggerating. Apple & AT&T support both CLUELESS. I’ll keep my EVO, thank you very much.