Good and EVOTips & DealsTutorials

How to calibrate HTC EVO battery and possibly double your battery life

Evo-batt-calWhether the HTC EVO 4G's lithium ion battery needs to be primed/conditioned is still a matter of debate, but it seems that it does need to be calibrated at least once.

Calibrating the EVO battery was actually specifically recommended by HTC a few weeks ago, but the topic has resurfaced in my inbox within the past few days, so I don't want to let another day go by without passing it on.

The method sounds ridiculous but many people have confirmed that it has nearly doubled their battery life, so it's clearly worth a shot. Instructions below.

This is a one-time only procedure.

1. Turn the EVO on and charge it for 8 hours.
  2. Unplug it and turn it off.
  3. Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.
  4. Unplug it and turn it on.
  5. Wait 2 minutes and turn it off.
  6. Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.

Here's a variation of these instructions:

1. Turn the EVO on and charge it until the LED indicator turns green.
  2. Unplug it and turn it off.
  3. Plug it back in and charge until the LED indicator turns green.
  4. Unplug it and turn it on.
  5. Once powered on completely, turn it off again.
  6. Plug it back in and charge until the LED turns green.
  7. Unplug it, turn it on, and use it normally.

Anyone try it?

Thanks, Jon & Dave!

99 thoughts on “How to calibrate HTC EVO battery and possibly double your battery life

• …you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that’s what it’s all about!!

• I actually DID the second “variation”…but a variation of the variation about a week ago where after step 6 you REPEAT steps 2 through 6 until, when you turn off the phone and plug it back in the light is IMMEDIATELY or within a few seconds, green. The “thought” is that the phone is calibrated and “knows” the TRUE charge of the battery.

Now the BIG QUESTION: DID IT HELP ME?? Not sure…I also tweaked ALOT of settings and got rid of power draining, behind-the-scenes processes, apps and widgets. THAT BEING SAID I thinnnnk it miiiiiight have helped.

Hey, worth a try…I gave it a shot…and don’t forget to do the Hokey Pokey too!!

Thanks, Jenn.

I’m going to give this a try. Any idea if this is something that would be done once for the phone or for each battery I have? And if for each battery, does that really mean I have to do it every time I switch batteries?

• BTW…my I did the “repeat steps 2 through 6” about 5 TIMES or so before the green light was pretty instant. I have heard people doing this repeat even LONGER though…

• I’m hoping this works… I’m trying the second method so I don’t have to wait 10 hours.

I assume if you “mess” up a step you just need to start over.

• I am interested in an answer to this question too. I have THREE batteries…hoping to be “one and done” with each battery and that’s that!

• I have a larger aftermarket Seidio battery—-my battery lasts about three times longer anyway, but I am obsessed with watching my battery status. I’ll give this a try on my larger battery and will respond with the results later on.

I have actually tried this. I will say that it did make a difference in the immediate 20% loss i would have after unplugging and checking a few emails. Now instead of leaving for work with 78-80% i leave with 98%. As far as a huge change, no. I got the 1750 battery and i swap each and charge each night. It is true though that once its green and you unplug it for a bit, and then charge again it will need more charging-odd! Again only that immediate 20%. Granted i no longer charge via my phone at night, and i have chosen not to have location services running on my phone, unless i am out and about.

• I wonder if that would work for the Seidio 3500?

it may not have made a huge difference but it did fix the major drop with my morning web browsing and email checking. it may not be an amazing fix but i recommend it to everyone with an EVO

• I’m wondering that, too. I tried this procedure with the stock battery and it did seem to make a difference. I now have the Seidio 3500, which makes the Evo into a full-day usable device. It will last all day (unless you do something crazy like use the GPS with navigation for an hour or turn on 4G ;) ). I’ve been meaning to try this procedure with the big battery to see if it can get even better.

I hacked custom cut-out for the Seidio battery from one of the $5 evocase cases mentioned here before. Looks just like it was meant to go with the Seidio battery — the black matte finish matches perfectly.

Another big benefit is that this battery protects the camera lens extremely well. No need for my homemade battery protector anymore.

• After reading this post and doing some further research over at xda-developers I found and followed the instuctions here: http://j.mp/bMEvCT. The result is that after 3.5hrs of typical moderate usage (web browsing, email, SMS, and a couple app download/installs) my battery is currently at 89%. It remains to be seen how the battery will hold up through the the day, but at this rate I’m projecting 25-30 hours of active usage from it. I’ll post back here with actual battery life once it runs out.

• I have nothing better to do today. Seeing as how I still don’t have a jobbie job. I’ll try method 2 out and see how it goes.

• OK. I did method 2 and repeated steps 2-6 about 5 times. Now we will see what happens. I am hoping for a noticeable improvement. :)

• Pulling 20 hours heavy use now. EVO 4G, 3500mah Seidio, 32gb class4

• I used this method about two months ago and it seems to only last a charge or two before its back to its old state. I said screw it and just went on with my life. Not worth the hassle.

• Hi there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a
      captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?
      Thanks a lot!

• So if your thinking of getting an e-cig do yourself a favor and make sure you do
      a little research and get yourself a good one. This kit is a
      mix of the basic items as well as one luxury accessory, i.
      Others are a little bigger, almost like a ballpoint
      pen in size.

i did this this morning…and my battery life is just the same…boohoo well it was worth a try

A battery doesn’t “calibrate”. I’d be interested in the source of this information.

All these steps may have influence over the charge controller. I would suspect that each charge/discharge event is monitored which influences the state-of-charge data that the charge controller maintains.

This may explain why users may not see such great performance from a new battery until it has been used for a few days of charge/discharge cycling, giving the controller data from which to learn. ie: what is indicated as a state of charge may not be very accurate in the short term.

I should think all these steps could be done away with via a simple bit of software. (Likely it would require root access).

The main problem appears to be that HTC’s charging circuit only checks whichever cell has the highest amount of charge. I believe that the stock battery has six cells. So when one cell is at 100% charge, the other five might only be at 90-95%, which is why you get an instant 5% drop when you take the phone off of the charger. The plug/unplug cycle should help fully charge the battery, and help the controller realize what a full charge actually looks like.

• I found this to work, but I agree with Andy as it only seems to work for a few charges…

@Doug: what case did you buy, and then hack up, to make it fit with the extended battery? I’ve been wanting to do the same and it sounds like yours worked out really well.

Regarding the story above, sounds like the effect wears off after a few days, my Seidio 3500 is good enough for me as is.

lol . . .that made my day.

• At almost exactly 12 hours, I am at 11% :( Didn’t really do much. I will try method 1 tomorrow morning.

I use a simpler approach from my time with the Palm Pre.

1. Charge the EVO until the indicator goes green.
    2. Unplug the charger for a few minutes.
    3. Repeat 1 & 2 until the indicator stays green upon plugging in the charger

It usually only takes me a couple of cycles (unplug in the morning, brush teeth, plug in, shave, unplug, shower, plug in, get dressed, done). I’ve been getting 1.5 – 2 days consistently and I never turn GPS off. Though I only use bluetooth and 4G when needed. WiFi is always on when I’m at home and off otherwise.

I’ve also had the phone go almost 3 days on a single charge. The only thing I did differently was that I had charged it in my car while using GPS navigation. Haven’t experimented enough to get that long life to repeat.

• Scott said he had 3 batteries. I’m wondering if it is the battery or the controller that is ‘calibrated’. If it is the controller, then it may be unable to keep up with the state of 3 batteries, having been designed for only one.

There are some recommendations online for lithium batteries, not to be confused with older rechargeables. In general, they say don’t completely discharge the battery routinely. Do completely discharge it every 30 cycles. Store at 40% charge, and store cool (fridge, not freezer). And don’t worry about recharging too frequently.

One other thing – not on an EVO, but I’ve found that the AC charger seems to do a way better job on my phone than charging via USB. With a battery monitor app, I can see that the AC charger gives double the charging current of most USB ports. This may also vary by what USB port you’re plugged into.

• when charging phone place in a bowl of bananas not ony will it charge but the phone will steal good vibes from the bananas. Causeing the banana to ripen faster.

not trying to take any thing away from the post.

i send this challenge out get a bunch of bananas split them, one in bowl with charging phone. and the other bananas on the side.
    Which will ripen faster

• After the first time I did this I got light to medium usage of 12 hours, 22 minutes off of a charger, and still had about 40% left. Absolutely a huge difference.

Second day (today) is 7 hours in, with more usage than yesterday, and I still have 65% left.

I was getting about four hours before it was near dead. So so far, so good.

• Oops, I wanted to add that yesterday I spent most of it in the car at at home (better signal and wifi) but today has been in the office, which I’m convinced is a old nuke bomb shelter, because I can’t get 4G and it is constantly trying to even grab 3G… so I assume it is a bit lower today because of searching for the signal.

• wow maybe i got this from this very same site

• I’ve seen since a great improvement in the battery life.

How does.the seido battery work? How long have u.had it?

I didn’t use either of these methods, but have found that if I unplug the phone right when I get up in the morning and then plug it back in while I shower and get ready, I don’t have that irritating drop in power right off the bat. With moderate use, I’ve been getting around 16 hours with 30% left when I plug it in at night. Good enough for my needs…don’t think I’m going to go through this exercise…

• This may sound crazy, but if you are running the”white pages ” app. Uninstall it and your battery life will increase. I went from having to recharge when I got home from work to well into the evening sometimes the next day. I’ll give the battery thing a try and see if I can squeeze out more juice.

• I tried method #2. No change whatsoever. Don’t waste your time.

• Whoa…..who is selling a 32gb class 4?

• Laugh all you want, I just did it today and my battery just went to half about 30 mins ago. Not bad, considering the phone has bee on all day and before It would have been at half around 1:00 pm. It Works!

• Did the first method and am not seeing these double batteryife results they are speaking of.

Works wonderfully….not only on the evo but I have done this on all of my lithium ion batteries

• it does works on Evo 4G. still drains the battery pretty fast when using phone or video chat but does significantly improves standby time or simply playing music files. thanks!

• I went 25 hours of moderate use (just a few streaming videos) but plenty of texting, calling, web surfing, app using) and still had about 20%… It worked wonders for my phone.

I’m getting 12-24 hours with no need to charge with my NORMAL everyday use.

Also I have been keeping 4G off even though it is offered in my area. Figure until they fix the drain that it is that I might as well leave it off. Most of my data usage is on wifi, anyways.

So… I have a question. Do I repeat steps 1-6 or 4-6? You can’t really repeat steps 2-6 — and I seem to be the only person who noticed that.

• I’m trying the second method…I’ll post my results in a few days. The way it is right now, if I give it heavy use for 2 hours, my battery will significantly drain although it stays in the red for a long time before shutting down. I normally need to charge it after 10 hours or so (this isn’t completely drained but the level is low)

• I was extremely skeptical about this approach but it has easily doubled my battery life. Previously, I was running on empty after ~12 hours. My phone now is at 50% after 17 hours with moderate to heavy use (only use gps, bluetooth, and wifi when needed). I used the second method above. I would assume there is a lot of variability in the amount each phone is calibrated, which could explain why people are getting variable results.

Tried the version Jason suggested on the XDA forum and it worked. I have noticed a significant increase in the battery life with a lot of use today. 16 hours since charged and at 70% battery life left. Granted, 8 of those hours were while I was sleeping and the phone was not being used, but 8 hours of usage and still only down 30%.

Where did you get a 32gb class 4

• Didn’t know they made a 32gb class 4 card, thought they were just class 2.

• I did it last night and not sure why it works but I been off my charger for 1 hour and still at 100%. Like someone said maybe it just helps the phone show the true charge. I’m posting from my phone.

• I tried this a couple days ago, and it definitely worked! My phone used to be a “five o’clock phone,” but is now at least an eight o’clock phone. So I don’t know if it doubles, but it at least extends the life significantly.

• Hm… I’ve had my phone for about a month now. This is the first time attempting to calibrate the battery. My green light went on almost instantly on Step 3. o.O

I’m currently trying method 1.

tried the second version, battery meter never stayed at 100%, down to 94% in 10 minutes with very very light use. Hopefully it will improve throughout the day…..? If it doesn’t can i try it again and cause no harm? I will report back after today on my battery.

Lowered screen brightness Turned off 4G, WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth when you don’t need them. Disabled “always on” mobile data Turned off background data Disabled WiFi and 4G network notifications Disabled wireless network location services when not needed..Turned off window animations..Changed WiFi sleep policy no live wall paper..turned off vibration and haptic feedback ….then I calibrated the battery as instucted above …my battery lasted about 28 hours…with heavy texting, maybe 45 min of talk and light internet use

• Will this procedure work for the Incredible? Just got mine and my wife’s but hers is only lasting about half a day where I can get a full day and then some.

also wondering the same thing!

Does this have to be done the first time you pull it out of the box or will it work after a few months of use?

• Am trying this right now, will report back with results

• So after 4 cycles I turned on my phone and it showed as only 50% of the battery being charged. I can’t believe this, so I am very optimistic for battery life after I finish around 10 cycles or so.

• After 10 cycles absolutely no change for my battery. Still only lasts me around 4 hours. This is very disappointing.

• Good lord people, why won’t this work for me? I have done this charge, unplug, replug, turn on, turn off thing several times and the very most battery life I get out of my phone usage is roughly 5 hours of life!! I’m so frustrated with the whole battery issue. I’m not running any apps that drain my battery, no wifi, no bluetooth, no vibrate, nothing that will constantly drain my battery. backlight is turned off, i have juice defender app and task killer app running to cut stuff off and I still have the same dead battery issue. Whenever I unplug my phone in the morning and turn it on I have about 2 hours into the morning before my battery is at 50%… by noon I’m already in the “yellow” and am getting aggrivated at the thought of having to plug it in already.

“Calgon take me away!!”

I can get a full day now with my DROID X :D

If you have a DROID X try the first method, the only one time procedure one

• So far I’ve gone 7hrs41mins with 68% battery left. To give you all an idea of my usage:
    250+ text messages
    Facebook about 5-6 times an hour.
    30 mins phone call
    WiFi for 6 hrs.
    Pandora for 45mins
    GPS is off
    Auto sync is off, background is toggled pending on market usage.
    4G is off
    Backlight is NOT on auto, it’s self-set to rather low.
    Bluetooth off.
    Mobile Network is ON. (3G)
    Mobile always on is set to off.
    Network Notification for both 4G and WiFi are OFF.

I did both method one and method two. They both still caused an instant drop of 5% after 5-10 minutes. Then I got sick of trying and charged it ’til it was full while it was on. I unplugged and went about my day and it held to 100% for the better part of 50mins.

I don’t know if it were just my settings or if it was the battery cycle, but all I know is that between today and yesterday, my battery life has doubled.

• I tried this on my EVO but it didn’t work. Looks like it works for some and not others. I’m a bit disapointed that in order to use this device to it’s fullest capacity I have to keep it plugged in, which in turn takes away from it’s fullest capacity since it is supposed to be wireless. Kind of makes it an oxy moron. I’m throwing in the towel with trying to get more out of this battery and have already ordered an extended life battery and new back. Problem solved.

• Hello,
    I just got my EVO two days ago, and never did this before. Will it still work to calibrate the battery even though I didn’t do it from the start? Thank you.

• Oops sorry bout that wrong post…

• Hey everyone,

Go on eBay and buy two batteries and a wall charger for like 10 bucks. I switch it out when it dies and its never an issue. Also I’m going to test a new theory that flashplayer kills battery. I’ll post my results…

Check to see how often the task killer is killing apps because that in itself can take away from the battery because it’s waking up the phone just enough to do that. Advanced task Killer was set on mine (before I deleted it) to kill once every 15 minutes…. way too often.

NIIIIIICE! I was skeptical but it actually WORKED!! What about going forward, how should you go about charging the battery? Meaning, should you let it discharge all the way then charge all the way? Any suggestions? I just GOT my EVO & am looking for any tips.

• Well it may have worked. Mine has been on for 1 day and 13 hours with 18% left. Though my actual usage is only 3 hours. It definitely would have gone more than 5 had I used it constantly. However my battery still dropped 4% immediately after unplugging so it didn’t fix that as I had hoped.

all u have to do is cut off your 3g and it well last about 16 hours forreal. go to setting and wireless and network and uncheck the mobile network. u can still receive texts and calls. when u ready to use the internet in any source just go back and select it again easy.

• i just did this and it works. before the battery would drain from 100% to 90% in the first 5 minutes of unplugging it.

i don’t get that now after rebooting. im still at 100% after 15 minutes

This works! I am at 35% battery after 30 HOURS of medium/heavy use. Now, I must note that my phone is rooted and is running a debloated OS but nonetheless, it most definitely, DOUBLED my battery life without question. I continue to let everything run in the background (facebook, etc.) with no problems at all. I repeat the process every 4-6 weeks, but other than that, it works. My brother has a Seidio Extended Battery and my stock battery craps on his now.

A word of caution: Method 2 is worthless. You must follow Method 1 EXACTLY as it appears.

> HTC Evo 4G, Fresh OS, 32GB Class 4

which one did you do?

Ok this definitely worked for me the second time i tried it. I followed the first method and saw no change. I got a method in an email from HTC that is basically the same as method 2 on the this site EXCEPT I didnt unplug the phone in step 4. This fixed my problem with the battery dropping 10% immediately after being unplugged from charging overnight. It has also increased my battery life significantly although i was never too disappointed by the usage time i was already getting out of it.

Works great. When I am at work I rarely use my phone yet I would still need to have it on the charger by noon. Since I performed variation 2 I went 17+ hours and was still at 90%. I did shut off the background and only turned it on as needed. Not sure how much that did for me. Oh and I have removed my advanced task killer.

• Speak for yourself. It worked great for me.

• Tried the variation method.
    Interesting that after the first cycle, the percentage dropped from 100 to 95. After the rest of the steps, it still only showed 95%. Will report back with actual battery life.

I did the 1st of the two calibrations yesterday and also added the JuiceDefender app and I am now at 24 hours on my charge with life left. I was only getting 10-12 hours before that. It works!!

• Just wondering, does this method work on newer batteries or old ones too. My phone is almost a year old. I tried this method but my battery is completely dead now. Is the battery life over or did I do something wrong?

• I love how people keep saying that they’re going to come back and post whether or not the methods worked. Nobody ever seems to come back. lol

Maybe it’s not the battery you’re calibrating. Don’t you guys remember that many or most of these batteries come with microchips? Maybe you really calibrate the built in microchip, which controls the battery.
    Since the microchip is part of the battery, you could say you are calibrating the battery.

• My evo battery can’t even seem to keep a charge all of a sudden. I’ve had the charger replaced 4 times & 4 times the guy has told me the charging port is fine & he doesn’t know what the problem is. After giving me the 4th charger (a motorola) because they don’t seem to carry the htc charger anymore…he said he can’t keep swapping them out, mind you i’ve paid for two out of pocket. The gal as the not able to fix a thing sprint store told me to go to the supposedly can fix it store and tell the guy just to swap out the lil port. He said he can’t do that, it requires me to go to another (non sprint)cell store all together to have that fixed because it requires saudering on the motherboard etc. I have to drive an hour or so each time to get to the store, so it’s not convienient @ all. Now this new motorola charger seems not to be able to charge my device &/or it’s having the same problem as all the other evos i’ve read about on the net. I charged all night, this am battery was full, took off charger set aside & soon battery was starting to drain, only to drain into the red. So now what?

Along with everyone else my battery life is, at the moment only lasting about 4 hrs per charge after heavy usage(web, facebook, texting, games, etc.) After researching and finding this method I’m doing the 2nd version as we speak. I have an HTC Evo 3D. I’m currently on

STEP 3: Plug it back in and charge until the LED indicator turns green.(while the phone is off)

So far my phone’s been charging “off” for 2.5 hrs and I’ve yet to see a green LED. The fact that after following STEPS 1 and 2 and seeing the green LED and being on STEP 3 and not seeing the green LED as of yet tells me that it is infact recalibrating. I hope that this method does create an improvement as I use my phone as most use their computer. I’m also willing to keep everyone posted and comment my outcomes after usage. AGAIN I HAVE AN EVO 3D. Thanks for the steps and feedback so far.

When did you notice that you battery was completely dead? Was it before, or after completing the steps?? And which variation did you try?

It is kinda funny how that works. OH WELL! I suppose the best we can do is to keep the post and comments alive by providing our own outcomes and information. Did you try this? What device do you have? And what was your outcome??

After attempting the 2nd set of steps I actually never got past step 3 where it says to turn phone off and charge to green LED.. My phone charged(off) for almost 9 hours and never went green.. I turned it back on and it actually started at 99% instead of 100%.. I shall try the 1st set overnight(charging “on” for 8 hours) and when i wakeup and complete the steps i’ll leave feedback.

• It seems to me that the phone thinks the battery is fully charged and thus stops charging. This procedure would then reset the phones charge circuit calibration to allow for additional charging of the battery to it’s fullest capacity.

• Ok, I have something you guys haven’t covered; does it matter at what level of charge the battery is at – when you begin this whole fiasco?