There still isn't an easy way to make the wallpapers interactive or have them span across multiple home screens (you'd need to get yourself dirty with lots of coding for that), but there are two ways that make it dead simple to create your own animated wallpapers like the one you see here using nothing more than PNG image files.
Both methods allow you to use hundreds of images to create the wallpaper, so you can make the animation really smooth.
- Download LWP Creator from Android Market.
- Number your desired images (PNG, 480 x 800 resolution) using this format: 1.png, 2.png, 3.png, and so on.
- Move the images directly to the EVO's internal memory or its microSD card.
- To apply the live wallpaper that will be created with these images, tap Menu -> Wallpaper -> Live wallpapers -> LWP Creator.
- Adjust settings as necessary (frames per second, folder path, number of images being used) by pressing the "Settings…" button.
- Set the wallpaper by pressing the "Set wallpaper" button.
Tip: Store images for different wallpapers in different folders. Then just change the folder path in LWP Creator's settings to switch to a new one.
Method 2 (Windows only)
- Download Custom Creater 2.6 from the xda-developers forum and unzip it.
- Number your desired images (PNG, 480 x 800 resolution) using this format: n01.png, n02.png, n03.png…n050png…n100.png
- Run the "run.bat" file from the download and follow the instructions. Make sure you have Java installed on your computer.
- Rename the resulting .apk and install it on your EVO using ASTRO File Manager, appInstaller, or something similar.
- Set the wallpaper by selecting it from the list that appears when you tap Menu -> Wallpaper -> Live wallpapers.
Image credit: ogdobber (resized)