UMPC

OQO Model 03 could be on horizon, but its time may have passed

Oqo_03 With no shortage of handheld computers and even smartphones doing their darndest impersonations of tiny computers these days, it's easy to forget about one of the early pioneers. OQO looks to be making a comeback of sorts, or at least its Chinese arm is, with the big hurrah set for Q3 2010. But is anyone still looking for a high-priced, full PC experience to steal time away from their powerful smartphone?

According to the guys over at UMPCPortal, there's a website at www.oqo.cc that looks to be promoting the successor to the original OQO Model 2 and the never-released Model 2+ that was to be the first OQO based on the faster Atom architecture. Apparently the Chinese website went down around the same time the American branch closed up shop, but now they are back and causing a stir.

From the translated info gleaned off the site, it looks like the new Model 03 will be available with four processor options, the 1.2GHz Z515, 1.6GHz Z530, 1.86GHz Z540, and the 2GHz Z550. The latter processor currently resides in certain models of the new Sony Vaio P and would make one killer pocket computer, especially paired with the rest of the hardware specs, including a 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM, and a multi-touch 4.8-inch, 1024×600 LCD screen. There's no shortage of wireless radios either, with WiFi & Bluetooth 2.0 as well as optional 3G.

Now for the bad news, and that's the rumored price. Long considered one of the reasons OQO failed to successfully move units, a high price just will not fly with the bevy of options today, but it seems like OQO might not have learned its lesson. If we're to believe the 31,888 yuan price being listed, which comes out to around $4,700 USD, the Model 03 just might find its potential customers exclaiming "three strikes and you're out."

Chris King

Chris King is a former contributing editor at Pocketables.

12 thoughts on “OQO Model 03 could be on horizon, but its time may have passed

• People thought the N5 was expensive, wonder what they will think about the price tag on this sucker. The real value is going with a Oqo 2. Even the 2+ is better priced than these are. Only leg up these will really have is potentially better battery life due to better processors.

The positive thing is, Oqo 2 users may be able to replace their dying batteries with new oqo 03 batteries… but at the current price tags these may be $400!

• Ahhh, the OQO, my first UMPC. It gave me unrealistic expectations of how UMPCs would evolve thereafter. I have mostly been very disappointed.

No shortage of handheld computers? Can you name a few that are actually available to buy? I’ll give you a clue – I’ve been looking and the only one I’ve found to be available (apart from the poor UMID M1) is the Viliv N5 – which, in a moment of weakness/madness, I’ve ordered. I would jump at the chance to get another, reliable, OQO as long as it had an active digitizer screen.
    Even though I own the best ‘smartphone’ ever made (Nokia E90), it can’t replace having a proper PC in your pocket.

• This may be an OQO in name only as apparently there is no relationship with the original owners in the US. The best thing about this is that it may, as Minions stated, provide relief for those looking for batteries. I will be checking this out when I travel to China in December. Time will tell.

• Excellent! I’m going to need at least two of these babies at only 4,700USD.

One will go in the glove compartment of the Rolls. Next time that jerk in the Bentley mooches my Grey Poupon, I’ll whip out a business plan outlining my hostile takeover of his conglomerate instead. I’ll probably get a new assistant to carry the other one, possibly in a luxurious baby-whale-skin case.

Probably, you’ll need four (two backups) as each time you switch it on there will be a 50/50 chance it overheats and toasts the motherboard. You’ll also need a stack of batteries as I managed to get through 3 replacements in 12 months during my ownership (during which the thing was not working >50% of the time).

• Nearly 32,000 RMB for this? Who are they trying to kid?

• The alternatives I was thinking of are the UMID series (M1, SE, BZ), the Viliv N5 and S5, and the Fujitsu UH900. That’s not even mentioning the smartphones that can take the place of a full computer for many people, which wasn’t entirely possible nor as easy a few years ago.

• But if you do keep the 03 in the glove box of the Rolls, along with the Grey Poupon, will you still have room for the Courvoisier intended for your guests who are riding along?

:-)

You’re right, their are a few, but:

The BZ and the SE aren’t available anywhere to buy outside South Korea from my extensive searches. The S5 doesn’t have a keyboard so is a consumption device and the Fujitsu is too big for prolonged thumbing and is ridiculously expensive.

• Chris: I’m certainly not looking for a high-priced, but yes for a full PC experience that can’t be done by a smartphone. I’m sure that there’s a lot of people that does and there are not too many options out there suitable for this tasks. An updated Oqo would be unbeatable in this arena. The problem is that these are not Oqos, they are a copy of them. How good remains to be determined.

• How many are left? And where can I get one?