AppsStreakSmart

Dell Streak gets limited, overpriced Gameloft game selection

Streak-gameloft_wm With the exception of Asphalt HD, Gameloft does not offer its HD games in Android Market. The other HD titles in the game maker's arsenal must be purchased directly from the company's website and are not eligible for a refund (unlike apps from the Market, which all come with a 24-hour refund policy).

Visiting gameloft.com from an Android device will take you to an optimized version of the HD games shop; the site automatically detects your device/carrier and displays the HD games available for your phone. On the HTC EVO 4G, for example, the shop lists 10 titles, all clearly designated as HD games.

The list of available games for the Dell Streak, however, is very different: no HD games, only 3 non-HD games (there are 4 more in Android Market), and higher prices. Midnight Bowling 2 and the non-HD versions of UNO and Assassin's Creed are $2.99 in the Market, a full $2 less than what Gameloft is charging.

The Streak is every bit as capable as the EVO at playing HD games (they both have 1GHz Snapdragon CPUs, 512MB RAM, and Adreno 200 GPUs), yet there's no way to get anything other than Asphalt HD on it.  Gameloft's HD games are protected so you can't share them; you can only re-download it on the same device with the same phone number you purchased the game on for a limited time. That means that even if you obtain an .apk of the one of the games, it won't be playable on your Streak. It'll install and even start to load just fine, but that's as far as you'll get. The game will give you an "illegal copy" message and then close.

HD games aside, I can't believe Gameloft is charging nearly double the price for a portion of the same titles it sells in Android Market. What's going on?!

13 thoughts on “Dell Streak gets limited, overpriced Gameloft game selection

This is just a guess, but I’m guessing Gameloft doesn’t auto-detect much and is instead working off a whitelist for HD titles.

Since the USA Streak on AT&T is still at 1.6 officially (and thus not multi-touch capable), I would suspect some games do not work.

I wonder what would happen if a UK O2 subscriber accesses the site.

Gameloft is US only, isn’t it? I don’t think their apps are available in other regions. Could be wrong but that’s what I always thought.

If Asphalt HD shows up in the Market, then it should show up on the Gameloft site too. So I don’t think it’s a whitelist issue.

I’ve downloaded all the HD games from Gameloft as demos to my Streak and all demos play fine. Admittedly I this from a pc and did have to pretend I had a Samsung Galaxy S to get them all as demos ;)

Of course I’m running 2.1, allowing multi touch and frankly the games are stunning compared to a lot on the market.. I paid a whole £3 for Uno as I love the game and really missed it when I moved from WinMo to Android for the Streak. I need to play the others more before I fork out any cash for the full games though!

I emailed Gameloft asking when they would give proper Dell Streak support and got back the standard, “Rest assured we have forwarded this information to the appropriate department for future consideration.” blah blah blah

Doh, forgot to say I’m a UK O2 Streaker and yes there is a UK version of the site. Games are £3 and charged to the phone bill

Interesting. I was on the gameloft site a week or two ago and when I selected AT&T from the list I got redirected to, it said there were no games available for my device.

And now they put up a page for the Streak and fill it with crap!

Getting the .apk does work for any gameloft hd game except NOVA. You just have to install in airplane mode and download data over wifi with airplane mode on and it bypasses the whole this copy is illegal thing. :)

• I think gameloft are just being mugs about things. Trying to mug peoples hard earn monies. No wonder some people don’t pay for there apps, some are really just not worth it.

Can you explain this in more detail? I’m not sure I follow you.

Asphalt HD doesn’t show up in the market on my USA Streak running UK 2.1, but I’ve had issues with other apps not showing up in the market as well (Slingplayer, for instance).

I just as well not give Gameloft any of my money period. I don’t see any reason to purchase any software from them as there is no refund policy and their prices are at least twice what any of their competitors are, with no customer service.

Games on my Streak is the last thing I purchased it for, and frankly, there are no games out there that compete with PSP or DS games IMHO, every game I have tried has been buggy, even the gorgeous Raging Thunder handles very poorly, although it is a very pretty game.

I’ll stick to the handheld gaming systems for ‘gaming’ and my Streak for ‘free’ novelty games to waste time in line somewhere.

Once you have the .apk for the game…put your phone into airplane mode so no connections are active and use whatever file manager you like to install it. Once it’s installed, run the game in airplane mode, and when it asks you to download data and turn on wifi, turn it on and you’re good to go.

• ive purchased nova, hawx, sandstorm & hero of sparta for my streak as an evo. Knowing it was hit or miss the evo is close in specs. nova has sound but black screens for menu. Randomly pressing screen can start game but hud has black boxes and textures look bad. Sandstorm is similar but much more playable. Rest of games work fine. Seems like it should be playable but gameloft has some work to do. Plz get it working gameloft!

Gameloft is a bussiness, money is all they care about…the actual technical people that create the games probably have no say in decision making…their highest priority is being independent of the android market…I wouldn’t trust any company that refuses to use the android market. The market has its issues, but it is customer oriented; seemingly opposite of gameloft’s attitude. Gameloft only does what is good for Gameloft, period.