Good and EVOTutorials

How to create a full backup (Nandroid) of your HTC EVO

Evo-nandroid-clockwork

I've mentioned more than a few times that rooting your HTC EVO 4G is the only way to be able to create a complete backup (think of it like a ghost/clone image of your computer's hard drive), so I think it's about time to talk about how to actually do it.

As with many things that can be done once you've got root access, there are several ways to get a full system backup safely stored on your EVO's microSD card. Instructions on how to do two of them are below.

Recovery mode method (ClockworkMod)

Note: ClockworkMod is not the only custom recovery image out there, but it's the most popular and the one that's included in unrevoked, which is what I used to root my EVO.

1. Boot into recovery mode. There are other ways to do this, but the fastest, easiest way to boot into Clockwork is to download Quick Boot from Android Market and either use the recovery mode shortcut (if you added one to your home screen) or open the app and tap "Recovery."

Evo-quickboot
2. Use the volume down key to navigate to "nandroid" and press the power button to select it.

3. Press the power button again to select "Backup" from the menu.

4. Sit back and let the EVO do all the work. The backup will be saved on the microSD card in an automatically created clockworkmod/backup folder.

ROM Manager method

1. Download ROM Manager from Android Market or scan the QR code below.

Evo-rommanager
2. Open the app on your EVO and scroll down a bit.

Evo-nandroid-romman

3. Press "Backup Current ROM" and name the backup whatever you want.

—————–

Talk about dead simple, right? If you're new to rooting, then "perform a nandroid backup" might sound intimidating, but as you can see, there's really nothing to it.

Note: ClockworkMod and ROM Manager come from the same dev (the venerable Koush) and both create a full Nandroid backup. The latter app just has a UI; ROM Manager can do much more too, but its other functions aren't relevant to this tutorial.

36 thoughts on “How to create a full backup (Nandroid) of your HTC EVO

i rooted last night and since new to the root crowd my only question for now is how do i flash a custom rom? check the developer forums?

Backup is of no use without a tested and certain method to restore. Has anyone tested these tools? It would be a good contribution if Good and Evo could do this and post the results.

• Amon_RA Recovery tool is just as simple too.

I would also recommend using another Backup Tool to capture data (call log, sms history, etc.). It’s good to have that backedup as well.

One application of using these backups is that you can use different ROMs easier without setting up everything. You can set up a Sense-based ROM just the way you like it, set up a Nandroid backup for that. Then you can set up a AOSP (Non-Sense) based ROM, like CM6, just the way you like it, and set up a Nandroid backup for that. Then if you want to go from one to the other, restore the backup and then restore the data backup using a tool such as MyBackupPro.

The methods she describes are tested & proven and used by everyone in the Android community. Its not like she found two random programs with an unproven track record.

I use the ROM Manager method and can easily flash back from baked snack 1.7 to stock without a problem. Also there are numerous Youtube and other tutorials that has a step by step process.

I would recommend the following backups as well:

Titanium Backup= back up all your apps and its settings so you dont have to go through the tedious restore process thru appbrain. (donate and get the donate version, since it allows batch mode) I think this backs up user data as well. But i havent used it for that function.

Backup Pro which allows back ups of SMS/MMS, settings, homescreens, etc.

Dear 01svt,

I appreciate your noob question and have decided to answer appropriately.

There are several ways to install a ROM. I suggest you first download (and pay for less than the price of a cup of coffee) the program ROM Manager. In there, do a full backup of your current ROM (incase something happens). Once done, then feel free to experiment. Inside of ROM manager you can download ROMs for your phone automatically (use wifi or 4G though).

The other route is to download the ROMs from a site, move them to your SD card, and install them.

Check out XDA Forums for some more info on ROMs.

“I appreciate your noob question….”

I hate the way people treat others just because they may not be as knowledgeable as some of the more “learned” users. Everyone was a “noob” at some point in their lives.

So here is the thing…I tried to back up a rom in RomManager, and got stuck on the Htc EVO white screen.

Tried using Quick Boot..same thing.

I’m rooted, installed the OTA the other day via a zip, and added files to re-start my super user permissions.

What gives?

2.2 Rooted. S-OFF w/ new OTA w/ fps fix.

Have you tried booting into recovery manually (turn the phone off, then turn it back on while holding the volume down button) then backing up manually. I’ve been having some problems with ROM manager lately, been having to do everything manually. Same thing with Clockwork Recovery, had to switch to Amon_RA.

My phone is stuck in the RECOVERY (bootloader area) after I uploaded a bad PC36IMG.zip file. Is it bricked? I don’t have any (Nandroid) backup.

Have you tried taking your battery out and restarting the phone?

• same story over here

John, thank you for the idea. Doing that kept sending me back to the same bootloader area. I finally found and managed to load a different (PC36IMG.zip) file and it reverted me back to a rooted Android 2.1. From there I loaded (OMJ_EVO_2.2_Froyo_v3.5_deodexed.zip) and it made me current with the new software (3.29.651.5). I then flashed a new ROM (Fresh 3.3.0.1) and it works great. Only problem, I don’t have any of the original software so reverting back to stock won’t happen unless someone knows how to do that. At this point though, I am just happy my phone didn’t turn into a $600 paper weight. I didn’t realize until today that (PC36IMG.zip) files differ even with the same file name and can really mess things up. Word of advice, check the date of the (PC36IMG.zip) files before using. I didn’t notice until it was too late, the one I used originally was from June 3rd.

thank you. apperently the internets are serious business for this guy lol

Got on board with rooting. A bit scary for this newbee. Downloaded Wireless tether and it just doesnt seem to work. Besides not being able to turn it off with rebooting my Evo, my laptop sees it but can not connect to the internet thru it. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to get the HTC upgrade on after rooting tried putting it on card n hoot zip gmt SD but phone went into freeze mode there too. Or do I hv to wipe unrevoked if so is there a laymens way lol. I wanted to know if the htc. Upgrading will make much difference. I love this rig rooted n let me say it wasn’t has easy has one click, but I would really like to learn more appreciate all of you brainiacs who give such great info. What other pgs. will be of sound advice been kinda hoppin around but would like a TM of sorts pics would really help I’m a ol Army guy, n city worker so too much thinking fries my brain lol.

• All of the apps mentioned in this article asked for the phone to be rooted first, or that permissions were not available. Booting to recovery mode just seemed to lock me out. I know that Sprint has guards in place so that their apps cannot be uninstalled, so maybe they won’t let me get to recovery on my own to create a backup file. It sounds like rooting is not as big a deal as expected, but I guess I’m at square 1, and it’s a catch 22 that I need to root before backing up, and that I should backup before rooting.

• same thing happened to me. dont use the one in android market. google “android wifi tether” and go to the first result and download the latest apk under evo.

• I personally thought his response was very helpful. The rude ones are the ones who comment just to insult you and leave it at that. This person took the time to thoughtfully and helpfully answer the n00b’s question. Be a little thankful.

That’s the one I used, (even though it say it’s for Eclair and I have Froyo) and I’m still getting the same results…my computer sees it, and I can log on, but with only “limited” reception, in other words, I can’t get on…

• I installed this battery app, and now my phone keeps rebooting and rebooting and rebooting. Any word of advice PLEASE!!!!!

• Had the same issue. I found you may have to close and re-open WiFi Tether a few times to get Internet connection to work.

I agree with you. He called the OP question a noob question. Whatever. He still provided a very thoughtful answer which I am months later finding helpful for a noob like myself; he could have said “google it” XD. I don’t think he meant to use noob in any demeaning way…

• I us the Android wireless tether and it saves me 30 bucks a month from having to pay Sprint for their hotspot.

• Hey guys, Rooting is the only way to go for ultimate freedom on your droid. As for rooting, you dont need to do a backup before, just find a video that is easy to follow and read the instructions to make sure your droid is up to par with where that they are using in the video. Once you are rooted then make your nandroid backup either through the recovery or by downloading ROM manager and clicking backup current ROM. It wouldnt be a bad idea to click the first option in the ROM manager first though ( flash clockwordmod recovery) to ensure you have the latest version of it. from there you now have a safe guard incase you install a new ROM and your droid locks up. Just boot into recovery and install from SD card and then choose zip file and pick your backup (whatever you named it) and install it. I have bricked my phone multiple times trying new things. Each time i reveted back to where I was before by manually booting into recovery and installing my backup :D. Hope this helps guys

• Hi Pat
    I rooted last month, my HTC EVO, and now is acting up, I cannot remenber if a made a back up before so now that I need to take it to service how do I back it up to the original ROM ?
    Thanks

• Hi Pat
    Thanks

• I rooted with Unrevoked3 and ran a Titanium Pro backup in the process of trying to sort the stupid Sprint proxy issue with Amazon Cloud Player. Since I want to be safe in my experiments, I decided to try making a full backup using the methods above and DLed ROM Manager and flashed ClockworkMod to 3.0.0.7.

My first attempt had a space in the backup name so I didn’t think anything of it, but when I tried a 2nd and 3rd time to backup the ROM with a custom name w/o spaces and the default name, it reboots to the white HTC screen and sits there until I pull the battery. I tried booting into Recovery mode, but after I select Recovery and press the power button, it goes to the white screen and stays there as well.

The phone is booting normally and appears functional, but there seems to be no way to back up the ROM, thus making further tinkering impossible without risking total borkage. What can be wrong here? TIA!

• how do you know you successfully backed up ORIGINAL ROM TO THE SD CARD? and IS THERE ANY WAY TO ACTUALLY CHECK THIS BEFORE FLASHING NEW ROM? It’s not like it tells you or puts a folder on the desk top of the phone. also ANY GOOD IDEAS ON A ALL IN ONE ROM FOR THE EVO 4g

• I am sorry for the questions, but i am new to this and really don’t wantt o brick my phone or mess it up any otheer way, if that’s possible.
    I had originally rooted my phone about a month ago using unrevoked as i did this time again, (yesterday to be exact), but i am scared to make a mistake flashing Rom. everyone makes this seem so defenseless and easy, but people forget they are already familiar with all the terminology and experience and for some has been doing this for years, or are on their 100th Rom flashing, and they forget about us new people that are ROM and rooting virgins and have no idea, led alone for some, they don’t even know exactly what rooting is, or what it does for you. So if anyone could help with this, i would really appreciate this more than they’ll ever know!

• Delete the battery app.

• @dina: I feel your pain. I’m new to this, too, and being one who normally has to have all the details before trying anything, I decided to just jump in. I rooted the phone using unrEVOked (which is necessary to do any of this), then I downloaded ROM Manager and used it to create a backup of my current, stock-but-rooted ROM. Then I tried a couple of ROMs offered in RM.

The first one I tried made me realize how much I missed HTC Sense. The stock Android camera (even in 2.3) doesn’t have nearly as many configurable settings as HTC’s, and the lack of 4G was just a dealbreaker, since I live in a 4G area. I tried a Sense-based ROM, but some of the HTC widgets I use the most were gone, and I couldn’t figure out how to download them separately. That one also erased ROM Manager (which was included in the first ROM), so I would have had to re-download that. I decided to revert to my backup until I could do some more research, and realized that I *still* have to re-download the apps that didn’t have the option to move to the SD card.

I still have a lot to learn, but what it comes down to is having to do your own research, reading several different pages until you understand the process to the point where you know why the descriptions differ and what to expect. You HAVE to know, though, that there’s always an element of risk involved, and if you’re not willing to accept that, this is not something that I would recommend pursuing.

Will a nandroid backup survive a factory reset?

“The other route is to download the ROMs from a site, move them to your SD card, and INSTALL them.”

OK, but how does one INSTALL them? Does one just navigate to the SD card hoping to open an executable program and follow a wizard like in Windows (sarcasm)? Yes, it is sarcastic, but I really don’t know how to INSTALL them…just hoping someone will answer this for the future newbiez.

Noob here!

If I install a new ROM, will it affect my DCIM folder (holds
    videos and picture) on my SD Card?

Thanks in advance.

• I am really loving the theme/design of your blog.
    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
    A number of my blog audience have complained about my blog
    not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in
    Opera. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?