How to install new update (3.29.651.5) on your rooted HTC EVO 4G
Just days after the release of unrevoked 3.21 and subsequent rooting of your HTC EVO 4G, a new OTA software update (version 3.29.651.5) became available. And while you've been able to download the 22.92MB file on your EVO just fine, the installation hangs, you see an exclamation point in a triangle, and you probably need to pull the battery to be able to reboot normally.
Are you starting to regret rooting your EVO?
Don't! There are actually two very simple ways to get the new fps-uncapping update onto your rooted phone, and you won't permanently lose root either.
The first method is to flash the OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5 ROM that xda-developers forum member myn kindly rooted and deodexed for us. There's more than one way to flash a ROM onto your EVO but the easiest is to download the ROM, put the .zip file on your microSD card, and use ROM Manager to install it; there's a straightforward "Install ROM from SD Card" option in ROM Manager, so it couldn't be any easier. When you select the .zip, you'll get a pre-installation pop-up window where you can choose to backup your existing ROM and wipe data/cache (do both).
Everything will be wiped with this method so unless you backed up with something like Titanium beforehand and can restore your apps and user data, you'll lose most of your stuff.
The second way to get the new update onto your rooted EVO is to install it manually and then use unrevoked 3.21 to re-root it.
- Download the OTA update.
- Put the downloaded .zip on your microSD card.
- Boot into recovery mode by using Quick Boot (my preferred method) or by turning off the EVO, powering it back on while holding the volume down button, and selecting the "recovery" option from the list.
- Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" and select the file from wherever you put it in step #2.
- Wait for the installation to complete, rebooting manually if necessary.
- Use unrevoked 3.21 to re-root your phone.