Since the notification LED on the left side of the HTC EVO 4G's earpiece isn't customizable, you can't tell if a flashing green light means a missed call, SMS/MMS, email, alarm, reminder, or voicemail without turning on the phone and looking at the screen.
Wouldn't visual notifications be more useful if the WiMAX LED on the right side of the earpiece displayed some of them too? Then you could get a better idea of what was going on more quickly and decide whether it was worth stopping whatever you were doing to deal with it. Text messages, for example, are almost always important, so why not assign SMS/MMS notifications to the WiMAX LED?
Here's how you do it:
- Download bludragon742's WiMAX Notifier. The latest version (10.09.06), released earlier this week, doesn't require root and can be used for SMS/MMS (stock messaging app, Handcent, and Chomp have been tested). Later versions will support missed calls, Gmail, and voicemail.
- Install it on your EVO and launch it to adjust the settings.
- Choose your desired LED color and blinking rate from the list: green slow, green glow, green & red alternate, orange glow, red solid, green solid, orange solid.
- Press Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Display -> Notification flash.
- Uncheck the SMS/MMS option so that the standard notification LED does not blink when a message is received.
Now whenever you get a new SMS or MMS, the WiMAX LED will let you know about it. And when the notification LED goes off at other times, you'll know it's not because of a text message.