Good and EVOSoftware Updates

Sprint-logoThis hasn't been confirmed by HTC or Sprint yet and I actually won't be around when it's supposed to be released, but rumor has it that a new software update (version 3.29.651.5) for the HTC EVO 4G will hit the open air on Wednesday, 9/22. That's today for most of you, but it's tomorrow as I write this.

Time zones aside, according to a leak posted on the SDX-Developers forum, the new update will include:

• Calendar event edit issue fix
  • Support for multiple Gmail account sync
  • 30 FPS uncapped (!)
  • GPS reboot fix

I didn't know there were problems with editing calendar events or rebooting GPS, but the multiple Gmail sync is nice and the uncapped FPS is fantastic. If true, then non-rooted EVOs will finally get to experience the smooth-as-silk graphics performance (up to 60 FPS!) that many rooted EVOs have enjoyed for months.

Update: The new update is out and does indeed lift the 30 fps cap.

[SDX-Developers via SprintDroids] Thanks, Kevin!

130 thoughts on “New software update (3.29.651.5) for HTC EVO to uncap 30 FPS limit? [Update: Yes]

• Unrevoked tweeted: “If 3.29.651.5 be the final version of the #evo4g OTA, then it is safe to flash — unrevoked and unrevoked forever still work.”

My wife and I both own the Evo. Mine had a bluetooth reboot issue where if the bluetooth gets cut off while it’s being used (turning off my car, killing the hands free unit) then it will reboot half the time.

Hers had an issue where if she started maps/navigation without GPS turned on, after she turns it on via the menu, it would reboot like 90% of the time.

My bluetooth reboot was fixed by 2.2. I’m glad her GPS issue will be fixed with this update.

• Will I still receive ota updates if I’ve already used unrevoked3s newest version and have it nand unlocked to s-off? Also…will this or any other ota update unroot me? Thanks in advance.

Even more important to me is the audio streaming issue. Anyone heard if that is being addressed? That’s the only reason I haven’t updated to Froyo yet… I love Pandora and Lastfm too much.

• I also had an issue with GPS with random reboots, but I started noticing it in other areas. Then it stopped happening so much, idk what it was but I never replaced my phone over it

• there is a patch made by devs that fixed that. I listen to pandora with perfect quality. I know baked snack offers the patch on XDA-developers

Got a link to that patch? I’d love to get that fix!

OMG I’d love the link too!!! I’ll go search right now… I miss the perfect quality on Pandora, etc. I couldn’t even bear to listen to it anymore after froyo

I thought I read that that xda patch had some side effects. Youtube, or something like that.

Yea I’m wondering the same thing. I think I read somewhere it should still work.

Noob question – I rooted using unrevoked, what do I have to do to get 60 fps?

I don’t know if it’s the replacement EVO I got or 2.2, but the GPS in my phone takes longer to acquire satellites and loses them very quickly. Maybe this will help.

So is this safe to dl then on rooted device. I heard no and yes. What’s the verdict?

I had calender issues. I would sync with google calenders. When I input a event in my phone then try to EDIT and save it would save to the day before. EDIT twice to try and fix it, and 2 days before. You have to go online to fix as a work around.

Does this fix the navigation killing Pandora problem? Since 2.2 I haven’t been able to use pandora and navigation at the same time because when a turn comes in, it stops pandora and doesn’t restart it.

i wonder if this will fix the rtsp video streaming issues that froyo/htc broke. i’ll be happy to have pandora back. luckily sirius/xm update their app and it has been working the last week.

No 30 FPS uncap listed :(

Has anyone gotten the update? It’s 1:30 PM EST and I haven’t gotten the update yet…

Wonder when it will be released…I have just tried to download and still says no updates available.

• I don’t believe that the 30 fps limit can be fixed with an HTC software update alone – this requires a firmware update as well, and this is not mentioned on the Sprint link… hmmm…

From unrevoked tweet:

unrevoked

Confirmed: OTA 3.29.651.5 on the EVO uncaps FPS from 30 to 53 on one device at least.

still can’t update :( I have no patience lol

i tried to dl the update and the first time it gave me an error code of 1012. they i tried to do it again in it said no update available. anybody running into the same problem?? i have have 2.2 root.

Still not finding the update

• So, if I just installed (like a day ago) unrEVOked 3.21 – do I need to remove prior to updating? The folks from unrEVOked seem to be saying you can update, but it removes your root access, but then you reapply 3.21 and it’s restored again.

Is that correct?

That is what they tweeted, so I hope they are right. Anyone know what the difference is between the unrevoked 3.21 and unrevoked forever? I can’t really tell why you would need forever if unrevoked 3.21 changes to s-off.

Tried to update..not available yet for me.

2.2 Root

I dont think root will effect update or effect the root.

From what I gather… unrevoked forever is just an add-on that allows you to turn S-ON and S-OFF. I didn’t see anything more from it. Other forums say if you installed unrevoked 3.21 … you don’t need unrevoked forever.

But when it comes to forum posts… you take a chance anyway.

I did not put unrevoked forever on yet. S-OFF is currently set on my phone. So at this point I’ll just wait for OTA update and if all looks well, I’ll look into unrevoked forever again.

As I write this, I have 4 other unrevoked forever related tabs open in Chrome. =)

Just to add to my previous reply… from the unrevoked wiki … “If you wish to install a stock over-the-air update in the future (OTA), the safest way to do so is to install the recovery that originally shipped with your phone.” Then they provide instruction on doing just that …

The first step… install unrevoked forever!

So the confusion continues.

“Arrive someday, OTA will.” — Yoda

“F#%@ that. I want it now!” — G&E Grasshopper

I agree with your last sentence. lol. All i know is that i am rooted with 3.21 and i should expect an OTA download that will improve things but destroy root. After updating, I should be able to run unrevoked 3.21 and achieve root again.

My phone still doesn’t show the update is available.

You install a custom ROM and then a custom kernel (I’m *pretty sure* you need a custom ROM (i.e., the overall copy of Android) to flash a custom kernel (i.e., the core of the ROM). To flash the ROM, follow the instructions in an appropriate thread at the XDA Development forums. I run and recommend Fresh Evo–it’s basically stock Evo, but with Sprint stuff removed, etc.

After flashing the ROM, download the kernel, boot into recovery, and flash the ZIP file using the Flash a ROM option. (Do a quick search of the Q&A XDA forums if you’re not sure how to get to recovery.)

Many people do Nandroid backups whenever altering a fundamental component of their phones. You should be able to do this in the recovery loader as well.

That’s the root/customization method. I assume that if you’re running stock everything except for the root itself, and you wanted to wait for this update, you could just accept it and have your FPS unlocked that way. But you might want to wait until others verify before doing that.

Hurry up already Sprint so if you break my root I can hit UnrEVOked 3 before their server overloads! Lol!

Come on Sprint. My guess it will be available at 11:59pm central time. ( Sprint world head quarters)

So I deleted all the sprint apps of my phone, does anybody think they will be re-downloaded with the update??

No. You may lose root, but just UnrEVOked again. Bingo was his name oh’!

Is root the only way to ditch the terrible Sprint apps?

Yes. Root and install Titanium Back Up. You can delete from there.

Gah I was afraid you were going to say that. I have yet to try any roms yet. I think I can wait for the ota if it ever shows up…and re-root from there.

• From Sprint’s article… This update may be released in stages; if you do not see the update on your phone immediately, please be patient.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdGlEQdmjcUY&v=dGlEQdmjcUY&gl=US

That link shows a 53fps after the update.

time: 11:50pm cst
    where: fort walton beach, fl 32547

just got the update on my phone!!

My Update Just showed up at 12:49 AM ET. Will let u know after update and benchmark.

Woohoo just started! San Jose, CA…

please let me know how long yours took to update, mine seems to be taking forever. the only thing on my screen is triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of that, and the little android guy beside that.

i had root 2.2

i have unadulterated froyo and the only place where it freezes for a few extra minutes is at the end of the sprint animation.

I had that happen on the very first update for the EVO after release….yours may have errored…is it a red exclamation point?

im really starting to get worried that my phone is a brick. its almost been 30 minutes.

its more orange that red

do you think its ok for me to pull the battery? or is my phone F*&^ed??

Yeah, mine took about 5-7 minutes….yours might be screwed

well i dont know what the deal is. i pulled the battery and it restarted. after the phone got booted up the update came up. so i hit the update button. it got like 2 seconds into the update and then it goes to the screen with the triangle exclamation point and green adroid dude. my phone is rooted with unrevoked. should i un-root it?

just ran fps2D: avg fps =46 . Glad to see the cap removed. Menu scrolls seem to be smoother esp in market. waveform live wallpaper, menu popups seem fastersmoother.
    Games are finally the way they are meant to run. angry birds, paper plane 2 a lot smoother.
    update: ran fps2D again after task kill. got higher average fps of 52

• Please help! I rooted using unrevoked3 yesterday, I received my ota update today……but it wont install! It stops right after it starts on a screen with a exclamation point in the triangle. HOW CAN I STILL GET THIS UPDATE? DO I NEED TO UNROOT, THEN UPDATE……THEN RE ROOT IT? thanks in advance.

im having the same problem! i just rooted my phone with unrevoked3 2 days ago.

i just got it and yes it fixed the 30 fps…. on fps2d the average is 52 fps

they said it will take off root but you could root it again

So it was a strange experience…this update was. Didn’t take very long to download (WiFi) and then when it asked me if I wanted to install I chose to do it (couldn’t push that button any faster!). It restarted then went to the screen with the green arrows above the phone looking icon, and stayed like that for about 7-8 mins. Afterwards it restarted again, went to the HTC EVO white screen and did the 4G animation, taking a little longer than usual. Then it just stopped. I thought hmm…but after a few minutes it kept on and went to the home screen…sort of. It stopped short, and went to a white with HTC green writing screen, and counted off 1% through 100% for something (it was unknown) and then went to the final home screen after a couple of flickers. At that point all was well. I “flicked” here and there through out the 7 screens, and then decided to restart…just in case. Afterwards, when it finally came back up after MY manual restart, it was perfectly fine, no issues.

As far as performance, everything certainly moves faster and cleaner, from the different screens, to pictures and even video (I have a movie on there). I did a couple of tests (Linpack, Quadrant, Neocore) and scores seemed to be better than before with smoother rendering. I tried the GPS briefly, but until I can use it and get a phone call during (which is what would either lock it up or restart it previously) I won’t know if that is really fixed. Don’t know about the Gmail multiple account or the Calendar issue as I only have 1 Gmail address and never had issues with the Calendar before.

Hope that helps. EVO, non rooted. Regular OTA.

Just got the update… 54fps now when I test it. Scrolling is much smoother too…

Also, FPS2D Avg: 54

Updated. I don’t know about all those other fixes, but the screen transitions are both faster and smoother now. Cool!

SWEET! update in San Antonio (BTW, its an HTC software update, not a firmware update if you check in manually). CAP IS REMOVED! 52fps on FPS2d on UNROOTED Evo.

An3DBench Results

High object count: 22.55 fps

Multiple lights: 53.05 fps

High polygon count: 24.35 fps

Keyframe animation: 53.72 fps

Game level: 43.23 fps

TOTAL SCORE: 5407

A Samsung i7500 with 1.5 scores around 2000 and a Nexus One with 2.2 scores around 4900 points

i take it that it doesn’t reset your phone to factory?

Anyone get this to update that has rooted their phone with unrevoked 3.21? Mine just starts the install then gives me the exclamation point. Then I have to do a battery pull and it boots up fine. Still rooted

Ran FPS 2D with the new update and the framerate is fixed!

I wonder what else was fixed.

I just downloaded it, but it gets hung while installing. Getting the dreaded exclamation in
    a triangle logo at it hangs there. I have a totally stock phone except with unrevoked
    S-off. I did uninstall some Sprint apps, I wonder if the update fails because it doesnt
    find those apps? Anybody else getting this?

• Still no update here in Washington DC as of 8:25am – September 23.

The cap is lifted. Evo owners rejoice!

Recheck I just got mine just now at 9:05 am

Am I the only one who hasn’t gotten the update yet?

Yes. I just took the plung and installed the OTA update manually instead of downloading from Sprint. I followed these instructions (with the update.zip) you need. Since unrevoked is on my device, the Recovery I used was the Clockworkmod recovery that unrevoked installed. But the screens are self explanatory (basically pick the update.zip on the SDcard and say YES to kick off the install). Here is the site…

So here are my exact steps…
    01.) I downloaded the update to my PC and renamed it to update.zip
    02.) Transferred it to the root of my SDcard
    03.) Powered Off the phone
    04.) Powered On the phone holding the Volume Down button. This booted into the Android HBOOT (with the 3 skateboarding Android guys).
    05.) Used the Volume buttons for up and down movement in the menu and selected Recovery by highlighting it and pushing the Power button to select it.
    06.) The Clockworkmod Recovery screen appeared. I chose to update using the SDcard:update.zip file … then confirmed by selecting YES.
    07.) Sat patiently and waited …
    08.) An “Android coming out of a box” picture appeared … I continued to wait …
    09.) The 4G intro animation came up and stayed on longer than usual … again … I just sat and waited…
    10.) A “No Firmware Available” message appeared immediately followed by a “Successfully installed Firmware 3.29.651.5” message appeared … again… I just continued to wait. I have not touched the phone at all during all these prompts.
    11.) A progress percentage bar came on so I sat and waited for it to finish.
    12.) Phone may have rebooted, but I was distracted. At any rate the end result was it was on the main Home screen waiting for me to slide the slide bar.
    13.) The original tutorial popped up … mini freak out because I thought it just factory reset my phone. It Did Not. Everything is still installed and working fine. I skipped the tutorial …
    14.) A “Loading” message came up so I waited yet again. I think this one is setting the settings and resyncing apps.
    15.) Done. Everything working fine.

However … I can confirm unrevoked is no longer there. Although S-OFF is still set in the HBOOT BIOS … choosing Recovery results in the Phone with Exclamation icon. So I just pulled the battery and rebooted fine. Now I’m going to reinstall unrevoked. =)

This is my entire experience… you’re results may vary. If you can’t get to the ClockWorkMod recovery … you may need to reinstall unrevoked first. Or disregard my tutorial above and follow the instructions on that website.

Hope this helps!

Same thing here except I didn’t remove any sprint apps, only ran unrevoked. How did you guys get the update to install? Did you continue pulling the batter and rebooting after it failed or revert to stock and then run the update?

See my post above to WRX7M (like 7 posts up) on how to manually install if you are so inclined.

30FPS is removed now its at 54FPS GPS reboot fixed. Screen is much more smoother!

Joel, youre not alone, I have the same thing. You can pull your battery but I think it has to do with the root. idk what to do tho.

Need HELP!! Just got (3.29.651.5)on my evo. When I went to install it, the install procedure halts with the progress bar about 1/3 complete. (Image of triangle with exclamation point inside.

My is rooted with unrevoked 3.21.

I remove the battery and the phone reboots ok. Any ideas on how to install this upgrade.

Thanks

And just a follow up to my other comment … I reran unrevoked and I am once again rooted. I forgot to mention when the phone reverted to unrooted after the firmware upgrade … it was back to it’s original speed and performace (Slow). Once I reapplied unrevoked … the speed and response went right back up to BLAZING!

So I am a success story for updating firmware and re-rooting the phone. Now to test the FPS2D.

update is now available! just downloaded it 22MB.

See my post to WRX7M a few posts up. I successfully installed the new firmware on my unrevoked 3.21 rooted phone and reinstalled unrevoked 3.21 afterwards.

I can now confirm FPS2D rate on my 3.29.651.5 firmware … unrevoked 3.21 rooted EVO … Average FPS maxing out at 56FPS after running FPS2D 5 times. Sweet!

• so i really need some help. i got rid of flikr and now when i try and apply the update, the installation fails because of a missing flikr.odex or something like that. i can’t seem to bring it back from a backup, so i have no idea how to bring it back or install the update. if anyone has the app, feel free to e-mail it to me – [email protected]. i’d really appreciate any help.

i got the update as well running stock froyo 2.2 no root and it took around 15 mins or so to install. and it also appears that the phone does run a lot smoother.

I just did the update n the home screens change alot smoother than before

Oh and another thing to note scrolling through websites is alot quicker as wel

I’m getting the same issue too since I deleted Footprints…

Hello new peeps-

The “S-OFF” you are speaking of will remain off. However, you may need to install the update from the SD card and booting in to recovery.

I’m not going to type out all of the instructions. Check out the XDA forums if you need help.

You know, I really shouldn’t be amused that people who rooted and deleted stuff that the updater expects to be there are having problems applying this update. I really, really shouldn’t.

But I am…

Yeah, it’s a little imposing. If you just want the 60FPS, and that list of instructions scares you, better to just wait.

Thanks for your thorough account of the process. I will be starting that soon.

Well, all I have to do is a few extra steps and I am updated and rooted again, using wifi tether, etc. You may not care about the advanced features and performance of a rooted phone but a lot of people do.

People will put up with a little more work to get more features.

I prefer cyanogen but then again vie grown bored with sense I had it on hero n like stock now…

Certain roms unlock 30fps, n they also have a rooted version of the new ota that just uncapped fps, check out android central

Dextermorph at gmail if you need help

Confirmed 30FPS uncap. Everything looks ridiculously smooth.

OMG! No, unless you dload the rooted version, unrevoked has the ability to not lose root if you accept the ota but if you do install you won’t have root capabilities till you flash a rooted rom…n flashing a rom is easy

Download rom.zip to sdcard(don’t put in folder)
    Turn off phone
    Hold volume down
    Turn on phone
    Scroll down to nandroid press power to select
    Do backup(goto same place but pick restore to restore)
    Now once back to main area
    Scroll to install zip from sdcard
    Find the rom.zip you dloaded click power button
    After install
    Select reboot
    You’re done

Dextermorph at gmail if help is needed

Unrevoked 3.21 includes unrevoked forever

Don’t you ppl know how to read
    Sites to visit

Androidcentral.com
    Engadget
    Gizmodo
    Androidpolice
    Bgr.com

Why use unrevoked n get root and not use a custom rom, unrevoked gave retards the ability to have root and not know shyte just to say they have root but don’t know wth todo with it….oh I deleted bloatware…wow you’re cool…

There is a rooted version of the ota

Download quadrant standard from market
    Run full benchmark
    With my rom n custom kernel I got 1627 just running it above the nexus one score of about 1300 my highest was 1806

It let’s you know how powerful your phone is

Also if you want hulu app email me I have a working version (not my creation)

Oh, I do care…I rooted my Evo a while back and then went back to stock. It just amuses me when they’ve done something Horribly Unofficial and then expect an Official Update to run flawlessly. Reminds me of when people would mess with the System Folder in pre-MacOS X days and then wonder why their computer wouldn’t update to the latest version properly…

Dextermorph at gmail

This is exactly as you have described it. Now I am off to re-root my evo :) Thanks again!

• Will this solve the stuttering when recording a video? What about the noise? It’s annoying.

• No, the 30 fps issue isn’t listed, but vendors RARELY list all of the issues they fix.

The screen frame rate seems better with this update, and I’m not sure if it is wishfull thinking on my part, but Pandora sounds better on 3G.

Just updated and my phone seems to be much faster and seems to hold it’s charge for longer too. Now let’s see if they fixed some of the Bluetooth pairing problems.

VERY happy EVO owner.

Thanks for the post ZenTsang, worked great for me…

Probably didn’t list it becuase they are afraid to admit that they were wrong about it being impossible. Woooooh! If you download it, it is clearly no longer 30 fps

ok so can anybody email me the apk and obex files for:
    all the sprint apps
    flickr
    news and weather
    footprints
    stocks
    com.htc.flashliteplugin
    peep

you apparently need all these for the update to work.

[email protected]

thanks

• Updated mine this morning without any apparent errors, but 10 hours later, it suddenly wiped my desktop setting & reset back to a generic beach background without my icons. It knocked out the three pages that I had used for icons, leaving the time / temp on main screen, favorite contacts screen, and bookmarks screen. Everything else gone bye-bye.

I’ve applied this patch and it doesn’t fix my gps reboot issue. Depressing.

• But does a rooted EVO get any faster 4G speeds than the unrooted phone does? I get twice or three times the speed going direct w/ CLEAR than I do on my EVO. Never got faster than 3.5 mbps down, even sitting just yards from CLEAR cell tower.

Herod, reset your phone back to factory default settings. Its probably an app that is causing it to crash.

My phone is rooted with the current Fresh ROM and want to know if there is an application or a way to verify the 60fps?

Weird, this seems to have been a step backward for me. I’ve had several spontaneous reboots, don’t see a big change in performance. When I go to Adobe showcase app the audio lags the video and plays at half speed. Anyone else had problems at Adobe Showcase?

Well, the update seems to have wreaked havoc on my contact list. By default, my account does not send my phone info to the recipients caller ID. For those calls where you don’t mind if the recipient knows your number, you can selectively turn it off by adding *82 as a prefix to their number. I had several contacts set up that way, but after the update it seems to have stripped out the asterisk * from all of those contact list entries. What a mess.

I’m still waiting for the update in kc

More weirdness, this morning 9-25 the market said I had updates. All of them were old updates that I had installed before. One was the flash update from 9-15. After the updates Adobe showcase is running again (it was choppy at first but cleared up).

Still no update, still caped at 30 fps =[

• In this process a chip similar to that of the sim card
    of the iphone is connectedd at the back of tthe actual sim.
    Of course if you are a relatively demanding person and
    you don’t want to hang on for a free of charge trial period to run up then you can virtually walk into
    any electronic store that sells apple iphone’s and you are able to get your iphone 4g without needing to enroll in a commitment.
    An unlock iphone hack iis one of the modt requested hacks that Apple sees on a daily basis.