Good and EVO

Unrevoked 3.2 offers one-click root for HTC EVO 4G

Evo-unrevoked-96 If you're tempted by all the benefits of rooting your HTC EVO 4G but are overwhelmed by the multi-step process to get it done on Android 2.2 (Froyo), then the just-released unrevoked 3.2 is what you've been waiting for.

The one-click root method keeps all of your data, permanently unlocks NAND, turns off security, maintains your PRI version, installs a custom recovery image (ClockworkMod or other), and loads up su/superuser tools. Yes, all of this in just one click.

The build was pulled a few hours after it was released due to "some strange problems" (see official message below) and is actually still unavailable as I write this, but it's expected to be back up soon. Depending on when you're reading this, it may even be available now.

Evo-unrevoked3-td

Unrevoked 3.2 is said to support all Android versions on the EVO, not just the OTA 2.2, and works with Windows, Linux, and Mac.

[xda-developers | unrevoked] Thanks, MsRandall & Henry!

80 thoughts on “Unrevoked 3.2 offers one-click root for HTC EVO 4G

Just waiting to see what this is about.

WHAT! I just did the multi step process Saturday! Watched the video’s 1 was pretty good, but the second one he edited a lot of stuff out that you had to wait for, kind of got scary a couple times, but patience paid off. Free tethering is Awesome! I can now stream rhapsody to my retired iPhone through my ECO. NA NA AT&T I still have unlimited data on my iPhone!

I was able to get the unrevoked3 around like 12:00am to 1:00 am it worked well for me for till like 3:00am till the phone will shut off its self and won’t start up unless if it was being charged. Thought my Evo was bricked but it was actually cause my Evo wasn’t fully charged when i was doing the root. Now i think my Evo battery is now defective cause the battery drains quickly. Still testing the unrevoked root, hopefully its just a bag they can patch.

You should consider recalibrating the battery. The method is posted somewhere here on g&e. Let us know If it helps ;)

I’m a bit confused about this root. Does it force you to install a custom ROM after rooting? Or can I keep the existing OS as-is? I like SenseUI, and don’t want to have to set up everything again after installing a new rom (apps, POP mail settings, etc).

I just want WiFi tether and to uninstall the Sprint bloatware… Other than that, I’m happy with stock rom.

• You don’t have to install a custom ROM at all. Think of it as allowing you to have admin privileges. You can use them or you don’t have to. I mainly use mine to do complete phone backups and free wifi tethering. I tried some ROMs but wasn’t impressed.

I am very interested in learning how the tendering works with froyo and unrevoked. Any suggestions where I can find this info?

Simple. Once you have a rooted phone, download Wireless Tether app (free.)

• I was going to root this weekend because I have been having so many problems with my phone not syncing, not pushing, requiring a CAPTCHA Google Sign-in, etc.

But I got too busy over the weekend and now I’m glad for it—-I’d much rather do a one-click root. I will keep an eye on this one…

• Tempted… I want the sprint apps off of my phone!

Does rooting allow you to get the swype keyboard? or is there a way to do it without rooting?

No rooting required. Just download the Swype apk.

swype sorry….

Hummm, tried to install the HBOOT that was a prerequisite to rooting. When I connected the phone and went to Device Manager I saw it as an “Android 1.0” device, but when I tried to right click and pick the Update Drivers option, there was no such option there.

I read that some users were having problems with this on Vista. I’m using Win7 myself. Do I have to find a XP box to be able to do this root???

• What is the motivation to uninstall the Sprint apps? I just don’t have them on any of my home screens. Are they sucking up memory? battery life? I’ve read much about rooting at this point and don’t see that the risks are worth it. What *significantly* is the gain? It sounds cool (to say that I “rooted” my phone) but this is an expensive phone to risk bricking.

According to their most recent tweet:

We’ve made unrevoked 3.14 available again for those who need it: http://bit.ly/bRAglr No ETA on re-releasing 3.2 yet, sorry.

Forgive me…I am new and/or dumb (depending upon my mood!!)…so this posted unrevoked 3.14 DOES or DOES NOT allow one-click rooting for my EVO?? My phone is was NOT a stock Froyo 2.2 but an OTA 2.2 upgrade on or about 8/3??

What is the difference between 3.14 and 3.2 and should I, personally, care based upon my current phone OS (OTA) version??

THANKS YOU for your patience with my ignorance!! :-)))

If you have 2.2 regardless of ota or not, the 3.2 will work as a one click root. At the time of me typing this the website is still offline though.

I’m with you… The only real benefit I can see is the wireless hotspot feature, which I will never use. I teather my work computer to my phone with PDANet and I get 4G internet and a charged phone. Wirelessly teathering would just zap my battery. It seems that there is this “arms race” between Google/Wireless Carriers and the Android Hacker community that I would just as soon not get in the middle of. I just want my phone to work, and it already does that.

-Happily Unrooted

Sweet cos I fall in this boat too. I like every bit of the frosting Sense UI gives you. But I want the bloatware off my phone.

So is removing unrevoked /restoring just as easy? And after one removes the bloatware will you have problems down the road with future OTA updates etc if you do this? Because it may try to update programs that are no longer there?

Thanks Knarf…I did read all that at the website. Yet, forgive me, but I still have the questions I posted above…since v3.2 isn’t available, (1) is v3.14 one-click rooting and (2) will it work with my 2.2 OTA EVO??

???

Thanks!!

There is so much more to rooting than wifi tether. You can install custom roms, make full system backups (in case phone dies), there are other apps that require root also. This site did a good post on the advantages of rooting.

As far as sprint bloatware, Advanced Task Killer reveals that many of them run in the background automatically. So thats got to consume SOME resources. Also they are just clutter, I want my phone clean with just the apps I want.

1. Yes
    2. No

Just wait a day or two for the v3.2. :)

• you wouldn’t accept any OTAs, and likely you wouldn’t need them. downloaded apps can be updated on their own, and depending on which bloatware apps you keep, they will update within themselves (ex: voicemail and sprint tv apps). the idea is to be able to keep the phone fast and lite – speed and productivity are the goal with a personal flare of your choice

You’re sorta correct: up to this point, it HAS been an arms race. We get root. A software update kills root. We get root. A software update kills root . . . ad infinitum. However, 3.2 wins the arms race. This root is permanent.

I want Froyo (and later on, Gingerbread – I hope) but I’ve been waiting to update because I didn’t want to lose root. There are other ways to root, but they are not permanent or as easy.

This is easy root. It allows you to back up your phone. And it allows use of FREE apps like wireless tether instead of being forced to pay for PDAnet. . .. yada yada yada.

You’re welcome Jenn. Thanks.

Thanks Knarf, I did read that info from the website, but the website also says: “At this time, unrevoked3 does NOT work on stock Froyo (Android 2.2) phones.”

So…again forgive me…I STILL have the same questions as I wrote above: (1) is v3.14 one-click rooting and (2) with my EVO updated rom 2.1 to 2.2 OTA will v3.14 work with my EVO??

THANKS!!

1. Yes. v3.14 is one click root for 2.1 Evo.
    2. No. v3.14 will NOT work on your 2.2 OTA Evo.

Why do I want to run a custom ROM? What added usability does it buy me? Having a full system backup does have some value, but the really important stuff – my contacts, calendar, and email all reside in the cloud anyway. I have an autotask killer that terminates whatever I tell it to, so while sprint tv, sprint nascar, and sprint football, may take up some space, they don’t really impact my usability… which is my bottom line. I also want the ability to take my phone to the Sprint store if something happens and have it covered by my warranty.

I did mine with Vista

Works darn good, I found a YouTube video with a demo on a Droid. If you install Wireless tether make sure you go to their website there are some tweaks to get it to work on the EVO.

The sprint apps wik revive theselves minutes after being killed. See for yourself. Its just like my desk, I coukd leave it clutteree with things that I dont need, and make it make it more difficult to find what I do need. Or I can keep it clean and organized. Its my choice. But a nonrooted phone takes away that choice.

Custom roms can add functionality (such as Froyos built in wifi hotspot). There is an awesome article on this site about the benefits of rooting that articulates it far better than I can, and in much more detail. Read it and then come back and make the same claims.

Actually, I had swipe working before the root, barely, it didn’t like when I swapped batteries. But now it doesn’t work.

if i went thru the step by step process to root my 2.2 EVO, will this new ‘one click root’ do anything different?

plus where can i find a stock rom so i can keep sense?
    and WTF is a kernel? do i need it?

• Do I need to save anything to SD or backup anything?. Will I loose any data or apps or txt? If I don’t Like the changes will I be able to go back to my factory software?. Thanks guys.

• Still no update on 2.2 but watching patiently. I will take the risk once the new 2.2 unrevoked file is up again.

First off, let me make it clear that I have no quarrel with anyone who roots. I’m sure for those people, there is both a real and perceived benefit that outweighs any risk involved.

That being said, I have auto task killer, which kills everything not approved to run when ever the phone wakes from sleep. This happens everytime I pick up the phone to use it. They may reload in a few minutes, but it is likely I’m finished, and about to put the phone in sleep mode anyway. And as far as clutter goes, I literally never see these unless I pull up all applcations. Then, they are like the unused pens and pencils in in the pen holder on my desk… I just don’t think about them.

Re: the custom roms, here we are back to the wireless hotspot feature. I read the article on the benefits of rooting. Once again, other than the wireless hotspot and full backup, the benefits listed are rather nebulous and, to me, do not seem to add a lot of value. Rather it seems like a good way to void the warranty on my phone.

As I said, I’m not trying to convert anyone who is thinking of rooting, just explaining my take on the situtation, which is entirely informed by how I use my phone. Everyone else’s mileage WILL vary.

1. AFAIK, no.

2. Unrevoked 3.2 basically “unlocks” your phone. You don’t have to install a new ROM.

3. Kernel (Linux core system services which Android OS is relies on) is needed to run the VM (Dalvik VM akin to Java VM) that handles many process like memory manager, threading, cellular radio, and etc. Kernel basically acts as the middle-man between the software and hardware. If you install a custom ROM, you may need a different kernel the ROM and its components are based on.

This image may help visually:

I’ll tell you all one great thing of rooting. You and your family are in the car going on a family vacation. And your two y/o starts acting up, great give her your Evo and her watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (Thanks to Sprint TV its free), now your five y/o gets jealous, you hand her you laptop, (Turn on the free WiFi on the ROOTED EVO)and now your five y/o can watch ICarly on the laptop. And now, you and Mommy, can drive to your vacation without wanting to strangle your Kids. (And as an added bonus, Mommy wips out her ITouch and checks her tweets and emails). And I am a Happy man because I rooted my phone.
    PS…. Works great also in the Hotel Room!!

And I am still on 2.1 just because I dont want to loose my root

Lol of course this method comes out like 1 day AFTER I rooted my evo. :P Oh well, the other method wasn’t too bad.

I must say that the thing that may lead me to root (eventually, when all the bugs are worked out) is a program that will let you turn your phone’s processor down to a very low speed when the screen is off and crank it way up when the screen is on. I have read several posts that say that this will double your battery life. The only thing I need my phone to do when the screen is off is run pandora or slacker in the background and alert me to emails. You can even overclock your CPU to 1.2ghz, if you had some serious gaming you wanted to do. That would be my main benefit to rooting. I will give it 30 more days to get the bugs out though.

Thanks for this explanation. I have been wondering about this, myself.

Um to get the updates to the OS yes you would. I do not want to do custom ROMs I like the OS with Sense UI I just want the bloatware gone and additional apps you need to be rooted for.

So How without a ROM would I update the official HTC OTA? And won’t it break because I do not have the bloatware installed that is in the next OTA?

I mean to say after I add unrevoked once it is available again for people who have OTA 2.2. Cos I will still want the next upgrade to the OS (past 2.2) and I don’t want a custom ROM.

Ok, so 2 questions that I haven’t yet come across a straight answer for:

1) Does this root the phone in the same way as the original unrEVOked? (As in, if I root with this method, as soon as I reboot the phone, VOILA! = unrooted phone again)

2) Does this break 4G as I’ve read some rooting methods do? Not sure I would be able to live with that irony: Free WiFi but no 4G…. ouch.

Thanks, Jenn for this site! It has become rather the addiction for me….. :)

No one ever seems to clearly answer the following question:

After rooting, can you return the phone back to its un-rooted state and how do you do it?

I want to have the option to undo the root and return to stock 2.1 or 2.2. Why? Because I just want the option, Android is all about having options, right? More importantly, if i have to take it in to sprint for service I don’t want my warranty voided.

I did some research on google a few days ago, maybe weeks ago, and the ways I found don’t fully restore it to pre-root.

If it breaks 4G, it’s a deal breaker for me.

To answer those earlier questions.

@Chris – Yes you can underclock the cpu when the screen is off when rooted. You need either SetCPU app or OverclockWidget. There might be a couple other apps that do this but those are the two I always hear about. You can get them in the app market without root, but they won’t be able to alter the cpu without root.

@AdamW – I don’t know about this specific method, but I just did the regular root method for 2.2 and rebooting does not take away root. For your second question, rooting the phone doesn’t break anything, all it does is give you superuser permissions. If you flash a custom rom after you root, certain roms have certain things broken, like 4g, but many of them have 4g working as well. It’s just a matter of finding a custom rom that does what you need it to do.

@benodiktine – Yes, you can return your phone to stock after rooting. All you have to do is flash a stock HTC rom, which I believe is on HTC’s website, and then delete superuser permissions and boom, ready to ship back to sprint in case you need to.

Both of those unroot links point to RUU downloads that are no longer available.

Anyone have a link that works?

Does rooting guarantee me getting laid every night?

• You don’t ever look at ALL your apps? I don’t know about you, but I don’t have room on my home screen for all my apps. If I want that I have to press that button on the bottom left of the screen. And guess what? Because of Sprint bloatware I need to scroll down more. This annoys the hell out of me. Also, it does consume a small amount of memory/CPU by running in the background. All these reasons + more = time to root.

Just thought I’d throw my experience into the storm:

Last night I popped onto the unrevoked dev irc channel and participated in the beta (for 3.21) that was running at the time. (At the time of this writing they have since taken down the beta.) I used the Linux command line build (no GUI) and it worked flawlessly.

My EVO (running stock 2.2) is now rooted. I’ve installed Wireless Tether, ROM Manager, Quick Boot, and quite a few other “root” apps. I’ve also uninstalled many of the stock system “bloatware” apps. I haven’t had a single problem with it yet and everything works as it should.

The entire rooting process took 5-10 minutes. I also went ahead and replaced the HTC EVO splash screen (the white screen that shows up when you reboot) with the unrevoked splash screen. :D I should also say that, although I’m an experienced Linux user, I have never rooted a phone before now and this was mind numbingly easy.

Thanks to the Unrevoked dev team for making EVO rooting a painless process!

Thanks Brian for your update. I have 1 question for you. Using 3.21, will you loose root if you reboot or is this a permanent root..?

a question to everyone. Where can i find the orig RUU for the EVO in case i need to RMA my phone to sprint..? shipped-roms.com is password protected.

This is a permanent root. It uses the “Unrevoked Forever” method described on their website. Here is a little snippet of what it says:

“The most substantial benefit of unrevoked forever is that the change is stored in the radio’s NV memory; no ENG bootloader is necessary to continue to flash firmware images. Even if an “unrootable” OTA update is accepted, a device on which unrevoked forever has been run will still be able to reflash a custom recovery image.”

Unrevoked Forever is a separate tool that others can use if they previously rooted their phone using another method (or a previous version of unrevoked). However, it is included in 3.2/3.21. Read more about it here: http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

(That page also describes how to change the splash screen after you have rooted your phone.)

Cool. Thanks for the update Brian.

I had the same swype issue after upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2. I ended up uninstalling swype and swype installer and reloading the apk from here. The Green/Red versions are solid on 2.2. :)

Yup. You probably have 2 hands if you have a touchscreen phone. Hot threesome action for you.

OOOO thanks for that link I have been considering rooting, but I have very little clue as to what kernels, roms… are so thanks! I think I would leave the stock sense, so because im not messing with roms, I wouldnt need to mess with kernels right? Roms are like new operating systems and kernels are the drivers for them if im understanding correctly?

Thank you! Thats awesome that they figured this out. Now if only they would release the final version so I can do this.

They said it might be a few days before they release the final version… but we’ll see. ;-)

Great comments. Thanks Dave T.

I’m waiting for Unrevoked to come back online. I’m afraid of doing it manually and bricking my phone.

What I DID NOT know was that root will NOT hard reset (yeah..I used to be a Palm guy) your phone to factory settings. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe after you root, all your data/settings/widgets/screens etc are not effected?

Thanks in advance.

-A newbie but is not afraid to get his hands dirty with Android.

-SKB

Using the Unrevoked method you will not lose any data (assuming everything goes as it should). It is always a good idea to back up your data before doing any sort of rooting.

Also, as soon as you are rooted, you should do a full system backup using nandroid/Rom Manager. That way… if you manage to screw up your phone… you can easily re-flash your backup.

I have a few questions. I am waiting for them to fix the issues in the new build so I have a bit of time until then. Also thanks in advance. :)

When I go to the Unrevoked website they have two versions: Unrevoked 3 and Forever. My phone came factory with Froyo. Would forever be a permanent root and 3 is simply temp? I think I understand that you use 3 to root your phone and then use forever to make it permanent? I’m a bit lost on the ideas and I have read through the pages following the links on their site.

Unrevoked 3.21 includes “Forever” as part of the installation process. Unrevoked Forever is not a root method per-say, it is a method that prevents OTA updates from making you unable to re-flash your phone with a custom/previous ROM. This means that, should you root your phone, and an “unrootable” OTA update is released (and you update)… you will still be able to revert back to a rooted ROM. This is done by switching to ‘S-OFF’ (as opposed to ‘S-ON’). You can read more about that on the link I provided in a previous comment.

• Still keeping an eye out for an update. So far no changes, so far no root.

any word on when unrevoked is going to re-post the latest version? is there drawback to using the version they are currently offering?

The main drawback is that it isn’t one click. For me that means I can screw it up.

According to Unrevoked’s Twitter account:

“Big thanks to all the unrEVOked 3.21 testers sticking around on IRC to help others get up and running. Testing is going great.”

and

“3.21 works, but it will be considered “testing” until we are very comfortable with it.”

Yea i’m trying to do this now but no one is very helpful at the website. I have no clue besides plugging it in but then i assume there is more than that.

Now that I’ve used this App and rooted my phone.. which apps should I be looking for? I already have Wireless tether and Titanium Backup.

Thanks Knarf!

• I just rooted my phone a few days ago and I couldn’t be happier! Along with free tethering, I’ve uninstalled some Sprint apps (because they seem to want to run in the background for no reason)and changed my boot screen. Tonight I’m going to flash a new wimax radio to see if that will help my reception.

I was scared at first too but I’m well over that now!

_____________
    HTC EVO 4G froyo unrEVOked^3

• downloaded both the hboot driver and unrevoked about 20 times its still not reading my incredible. htc sync has been uninstalled.