Good and EVO

Sprint-logo G&E reader Earl has been a Sprint customer for three months and based on the help he's received from tech support so far, he says he'd give the company's service a D. "D for the dumb people working for them," he wrote in an email to me.

Last week, Earl couldn't use his HTC EVO to make any calls from his home in Virginia. He was getting SMS errors too, so he called Sprint for assistance. The representative he spoke to asked him to enter a few codes into his EVO and when they didn't work, the rep said he had a "bad phone" and needed to bring it into a Sprint store.

After discovering later that his wife was having the same problems on her EVO and their daughter was experiencing similar issues on her HTC Hero, Earl called Sprint to refute the previous "bad phone" assessment and was told that someone would look into the situation and get back to him.

When two days passed without a callback, Earl called Sprint again. After explaining what had happened, he finally asked whether Sprint was having network issues in his area. "We have a major 4G network issue across the country," the rep said, "but you're not on 4G."

Earl was transferred to tech support. "Oh," the new rep said. "I see that three cities in your area of Virginia have an outage listed and that it is affecting text, data, and phone. We are working on it. If it is not fixed in two days, then we will credit your account." Why Earl wasn't notified of the outage when he called the first time is anyone's guess.

Are you having network issues with your HTC EVO?

57 thoughts on “Sprint outages affecting HTC EVO users, customer service largely unaware of issues

• My data has been horribly slow. Thats the only problem. Oh and sprint sucks when you go into a building. Other than that no major issue. Oh and I have the same issue with customer service. Each rep has something different to say and it takes several calls for a resolution. If sprints only way to stay in business was depended on customer service they would have been out of business a long time ago. Usually my problems get resolved on forums not by calling sprint.

I guess I’ve been lucky. I joined Sprint to get a Palm Pre last June and then upgraded to the Evo this June. I had heard about Sprint’s reputation for poor customer service prior to joining (but I *really* wanted a Pre and was willing to risk it). I haven’t had to call customer service or tech support too many times, but when I have called I’ve gotten someone who listened well and addressed my problem(s) quickly and correctly.

• Sprint Customer Service should have a recording that says “If you have a problem with your phone, you are better off finding a solution via Internet, otherwise, please hold for two hours for out sourced help and they will read from the internet for you”

• The customer service I got from them when I was having dropped calls and needing to port a number was not bad at all. They were pleasant, and it was easy enough to get in touch with them.

However, my 3G data speeds are horribly inconsistent. One day they are good and operating at near normal speeds, other days they are horrible.

• I had one really bad experience with Sprint when they enrolled me in a spending limits program without my knowledge or confirmation. It took months of bitching and an email to Dan Hesse’s office to get it taken off. Other than that the only call I’ve made to Sprint was to tell them they were monkeys for putting bloatware on my property.

I’ve had an account with Sprint for 15 years and I can tell you that I’ve seen “the Good the Bad and the Ugly” with Sprint. As far as I’m concerned right now they are doing a great job at customer service. That’s not to say that there’s not network problems occasionally but the customer service is great. Like all companies you’ll still get the occasional incompetent employee. I don’t plan on going anywhere else soon.

• With Sprint Customer service you need to get the answer like the Olympics – throw out the high and low and average the rest.I talk to several people and they almost agree. If you can figure out what they are talking around you can zero in on the answer.

• Having network issues in Memphis, TN now. Android Market and browsers return a network error.

• YES my phone was out all last Friday night right when I was taking a flight to San Jose, CA. Every number I called in San Jose would not work – I would get a “busy signal” or it would say “Call cannot be completed at this time”. My number, also a San Jose area code – would not receive calls, only receive and send texts. Every other area code I called and that called me worked though.

Luckily it only happened for 7 hours.. but still, I should call and get credited.

no issues in Texas (DFW area) at all. (knock on wood). 4G is running 6mb+ and voice network has been 100% reliable. Also, I have a corporate account and would rate their corporate customer service a 9/10 so far. They have been anything but “dumb”.

• Yeah, I live in North Dallas and I’m getting coverage issues with internet connectivity. DFW is a 4G area, by the way.

• It’s not a common thing, usually seems to happen late at night when I’m about to call it a night.

• I have been with sprint for as long as the EVO has been out first I would like to say I love the EVO now that I got that out the way sprint tech people are idiots and have little to no training on the devices they support. Over 80% of my issues I fixed myself and only because I have been a Android user before and most of the time when sprint gives you a answer to your problem they are only guessing and don’t know ! If you don’t believe me next time they tell you something just ask a few more questions and see what they come up with then………..

I left Verizon 6 years ago (for AT&T) because their customer service had gotten so bad it seemed they brought them in on Little Yellow Buses. I was quite happy with AT&T’s CS, but unfortunately all the great customer service in the world was not a substitute for actually being able to MAKE CALLS without dropping on a regular basis!

As the EVO was the only thing I saw that rivaled the iBrick, (and I’ve since learned it’s quantum leaps better!), I went to Sprint in early July this year. I’ve found them to be responsive enough, but not always as knowledgable as I’d like. BUT, I find the HTC and Sprint websites, XDA, and ESPECIALLY GOOD & EVO, provide me the information I need to keep my phone happy and working.

I do like the contacting Dan Hesse idea, though. My dad taught me if the first person you contact at any company doesn’t satisfy your needs, contact the president, and watch how fast your issue gets taken care of. Smart dad.

• The only issue I’ve ever had with Sprint is the the whole $10 thing when I don’t have 4G and probably won’t for another two years. Sprint customer service explained to me that the $10 fee has nothing to do with 4G and more to do with the “unlimited” data cap. It was irritating that the operator repeated that “because of your phone’s (EVO) advanced multimedia capabilities…” He obviously didn’t know what he was talking about. Still, they’ve helped me out more than not and I thought Verizon’s support was worse (rude). All that, Sprint’s pretty good.

Agreed. EVO rocks, Sprint customer service generally sux. I left Sprint way back when and returned for the EVO. Your best bet if you have a problem is to do some internet research first, so you can either fix it yourself (best case), or be able to direct the SPRINT techs so they’re not grasping at straws.

• Harrisburg PA has not had any outages. I am upset that they claim this to be a 4G area though. If you are in a building and want 4G you might as well forget about it. Only if you are downtown or near another tower and standing outside you will get 4G. Most of the time i leave it turned off at this point. If i do have it on at my house it randomly detects 4G. Then my phone bounces back and forth from 3G to 4G and this makes the internet not work at all…so as i pointed out…i have resorted to leaving 4G off….

I agree. Sprint’s customer service personel are idiots. I find that if I know what I want and walk them through it like they’re 5 years old I can generally get what I want. TO their credit though they have been very responsive by giving me credits.

One thing that I find happens a lot when I call Sprint customer service is that I often get disconnected. I would say about 50% of the time. Whatever phone system or VOIP they’re using sucks.

I will say that Sprint service is horrible at my house and they gave me a Airave Airvana for free with free monthly service. Even with all of the little “bitchy” things I have to say about Sprint the Evo is worth it.

Same here in Houston, TX. No data on Market getting RETRY error. Just started at 10:35am. Thought it was my phone….

• I had an issue earlier last Summer. No phone coverage and sporadic data and text coverage. However, go outside the house the signal got better and was back to full strength a few blocks away. Sprint Tech Support was on-the-ball and determined that the cell tower closest to my house was out-of-service. They credited me for our family’s lost service on my next bill.

Based on what you say he said, he knows exactly what he’s talking about. What part of that was untrue? The extra $10 isn’t for 4G according to Sprint it’s because these phones are multimedia power houses and people will be consuming much more data on these phones (EVO, Epic) than their other phones whether they have 4G or not, plus it’s unlimited data. People might not like it, Sprints reasoning may be pretty dumb but that is Sprints reasoning so what that guy said is true. I think a lot of people still think the $10 is for 4G and it’s not.

Regardless, it annoys me that people keep complaining about the $10 fee. If it bothers you that much go to t-mobile and get horrible service or AT&T/Verizon and pay more for capped data. Why don’t people understand that even with the extra $10 fee it’s the best deal around, unless something changed recently that I’m unaware of.

Regarding the article above, I haven’t had any outages in Chicago land area.

Didn’t have any issues when I read this post the morning but am having connection issues now(Noon). North DFW.

• Lakewood (west side of Denver) and Parker (south side of Denver) have been having problems since early in the morning.

Weird thing is that it appears to only be the Google/Android apps for the most part. I can do Google searches and surf the web, but G-Mail, the Android weather app and the Android Market are alle unusable.

• If You Have The New Airave 2 (Fem2Cell) It WILL Cause The Same Problems Like Earl: No Calls, Text, Data.

Reset The Airave In The Back With A Paperclip, Disconnect, Wait About 5 Minutes To Clear From Sprints System And Re-Connect (Per Instructions)

I Don’t Work For Sprint, But My Common Sense Works For Me!

I did in fact have some business and very important calls just drop off mid call or simply not connect. It was embarrassing to have to keep calling back and explaining that i did not have AT&T. It got a little old after about 9 times. I did not move, nor was i using bluetooth, or speaker phone…made no sense.

Bay Area California HTC EVO 2.1- not rooted

Ok looks like its back up again

Same here in St. Louis, MO and started about the same time. Network is so terrible, I can’t keep a music stream active. RETRY error on market. Plus my 3G indicator on my EVO will not stop. It’s send/rec data arrows are constantly on. I’ve turned off all my sync’ing, rebooted my phone several times. Removed my work email ActiveSync account, and uninstalled apps, to no avail. Sprint is having a major problem, it appears.

• The thing is, all customer service reps follow a guide book. The guide book’s solutions represent the cheapest for the company and not the consumer necessarily. Try step 1 -> if fail, try step 2 -> if fail try step 3 etc.
    I have experience in this. Sometimes we’re told to keep our brains turned off and follow protocol.
    However, certain reps are more sharper, and they’ve experienced similiar problems and offered a solution before. So they offer it again.
    Again, not sure if criticizing sprint really solves anything. I’ve been with ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and so far, the good/bad/ugly have been present everywhere.

• all morning and part of the afternoon no google apps worked for me. i hesitated calling sprint since im on CM6 nightlies.

they wanted to provision my phone but there are no cdma apps in cm.

they finally said they wanted me to take the phone to a sprint store. did some googling and looked like i needed to flash my evo with a stock rom. was going to do this but while i was in the john at a restaurant emails and google voice messages started coming in.

so meh.

I read the article on computer world that was reported about 9 hours ago. Sprint has admitted they have lost many customers today on the West coast because of failed WiMax coverage. Google it.

• Today from the Littleton Area (CO) to the Downtown Denver Area I had been having both 3G and 4G issues w/ my EVO. Google Voice, Market & Maps wouldn’t work at all, whereas I could send text messages no problem. Also didn’t notice any issues w/ voice calls.

I was in DC/MD last weekend and was experiencing the same thing. I thought it was the phone and was going to take it to Sprint when I got back to CT but since I’ve been back I haven’t been having any major issues.

• having problems in Ontario Ca right now network wont send all my messages returns error codes constantly but calls work.

I want to echo that comment regarding customer service. I’ve called customer service a couple times, and both times I got someone (who sounded like an american, which is refreshing) who listened and took care of everything with ZERO hassle or trouble.

Regarding the service outages. I’m in Dallas, not Va., I had an SMS error just a couple hours ago, but I think it’s because I was in a basement with NO signal. Though, data while using phone as a router HAS seemed a little slower the last couple days.

:) They put the bloatware on it BEFORE it was your property. You bought it in that condition, and bloatware is common practice in the industry; it would have been reasonable for you to know there’s a good chance the phone you were buying would have bloatware on it. You consented to it when you purchased it.

In other words. NO. They did NOT put bloatware on your property. It was their property.

Oh forgot! HTC weather widget was flaking out on me today too.

• Looks like you just felt like lecturing someone, ok–I’ll take it. You missed the part where I wrote, “I’ve ever had” denoting that the situation is in the past. I own an Evo and my wife has the Epic so evidently, I’ve made my peace with the $10 fee. You also missed the part where I wrote, “Sprint’s pretty good”. The customer service rep was reading a script. When he explained to me that the high resolution camera takes millions of bytes to operate thus the reason for the $10 fee, I assumed he just needed more training. A fours hours later, his supervisor called me to apologize and explained the $10 fee better.

• Had problems in central nj last week for a day or so (Wednesday). Couldn’t make calls or receive them, every call received went straight to voicemail at least. Everything was back to normal the next day.

Yea really all of big 4 put bloatware on, I’m not a NASCAR fan but the NASCAR app is good, I removed it of course, he’ll why don’t ya root your phone unrevoked makes a moron proof version,

The spending limit thing, uh, moron that’s usually for new customers or one liners, after I added my second line it was removed, it keeps yu from getting a $500 bill. It’s based on your deposit or if no deposit I imagine $150-ish

I think all companies have “crappy” customer service, the first person you get when calling c.s. Has limited power and is trying to get ahead in company or think of them as the no people, they usually don’t know crap, most are from India, sprint actually has Americans or the best voice actors from India……………………. …

.if all else fails pull out the retentions card….

..they’ll snap in line right away, sprint is actually breaking even at customer gain/loss ratio, they want hell they need yu. Say how yu really like your service and phone, n say something yu really do like, the hotspot, NASCAR app,lol, or whatever then say but becuz of this one issue yu might cancel your account, but you really don’t want to. I did this and got a free airave n no monthly charge

I’ve always gotten what I wanted, becuz yu can only blame yurself, if yu don’t get what they owe yu. Yu have to realize it’s a company and like all companties they want your $$$. Ask to talk to the reps manager/boss or tier 2/3 support.

Sprint.com when signing into accunt yu can chat with rep, sometimes that’s better. I have never had a problem with sprint joined in February 2008, first phone was htc touch/vogue, wm 6.1 phone not a bad first smartphone….

My only advice always ask for the next person in charge if the current person isn’t helping..

I love my rooted free hotspot htc evo, liked supersonic name better though!

The first person I get when *2 isn’t the sharpest knife in drawer, asking for tier 2/3 support gets yu to a techie person, also if all else fails ask for retentions, threat of canceling gets yu to ppl with more power, sometimes I call n ask for retentions just to see what I can get, I told them recent that Im going to try out verizon to see if they have better service and they gave me free service for month and $25 credit, retentions is able todo alot.

I agree they aren’t most knowledgeable but that’s why yu ask for tier 2/3 support or all else fails retentions,

Your dad is a moron the president of co. Is probably too busy to email the likes of us. If yu do get an email from a CEO it’s probably from a secretary or something, I guess your dad writes the president and thinks the auto reply was handwritten to him,

His dad gets a gift on Xmas that he didn’t like I guess he writes Santa to complain that the elves messed up his order…lol j/k around.

• The $10 is for that, now Id rather pay $10 instead of getting data caps like AT&T n verizon….on gizmodo or engadget I read how these top level smart phones , evo, droidx, etc are data hogs…the $10 is not for 4g the evo is sold as a multimedia device, the 8 mp cam, hdmi out(which someone needs to hack like tvout on cydia), front cam, hotspot, 720p, kickstand to allow it to sit like a tv…

Homebrew nice! A friend used to make homemade wine, under his bed, 100% grape juice or apple made sum good wine

• That was good,

Wanna hear bout bad service..try apple, my c.c. Was billed for an app store purchase on my iPad I didn’t make, $14.99 , yea not .99c or $1.99 but $15….the reason they didn’t take off right away yu ask well let me tell yu…b4 this in June I bought a music video, I restored my iPad, went into iTunes redownloaded it, got email saying I got billed again for music video, apple fixed it said they did me a favor.

So when the $15 comes up they say they all ready helped me out n can’t do it again, I told them I was gonna jailbreak and use installous, I all ready do but they don’t know that, they eventually after going online n chatting on apple.com support but they said they can’t do this again in future, it’s like the he’ll yu will…

• Why are you on 2.1? 2.2 is sooooooooo much faster….

I live in Cincinnati and have never had a drop call becuz of my phone, updating radios is important.
    Rooting is almost necessary, they should offer it in store if you can pass a small test, because if you have the smallest of techie knowledge yu should root, n bricking is almost impossible, as long as power comes on yu can use a RUU wizard file to restore to stock, if power doesn’t come on, well yu can claim device isn’t wet so it must be malfunctioned, or smash it with hammer call insurance bill to account n next day it,

Unrevoked.com is simple there’s even away to use verizon towers n old alltel towers while on sprint, google xda evo in development area

Click my name

• Sprint customer service can suck or be decent, depending on when you call or what center you reach. I called about a billing error (guy at best buy totally screwed my order up) and I got this hispanic guy I coils barely

• Sprint customer service can suck or be decent, depending on when you call or what center you reach. I called about a billing error (guy at best buy totally screwed my order up) and I got this hispanic guy I could barely understand. He told me they’d fix the problem. Sure enough, after 3 full days, no fix. That was an evening call. Called again during work hours, got someone I could understand, mistake wasn’t cleared up, but got activation charges and overages dismissed and got 10% off monthly off my bill. Lesson: call during business hours!

• I’m actually still a BB Curve 8350i sub; having been laid off since June, I can’t quite afford the EVO yet. But while CS has in fact been light years better the last couple years, my tech problem lately is delayed SMSs in both directions. They all seem to batch up, and show up 6-12 hours later, or sometimes when I bounce the phone.

Any EVO people seeing that? I do have one friend with one, and she *sometimes* sees it (with messages not from me)…

I get an occasional SMS messages thaterrors and says it is not delivered… not sure if its sprint or cm6.

• well i just got sprint on nov 6th and im having issues with my 3g connection being slow and they told me there was a outage effecting evo users and it is supposed to be fixed by midnight but same thing happened to me as well they told me my phone just needed to be re programmed or something and had me put codes in and all that before telling me the same thing also a call dropped while i was on teh phone with them so far bad experience

• um, it’s called outsourcing and poor product documentation. every large tech company has the same issue, have you ever been in a call center before. they’re full of retards.

connections issues north DFW

4G is not working well. Started 3 weeks ago. 4G slows down after 10 mins to 0.1Mbps.
    Speednet app reports extremely low 4G speeds even with full bars.
    Anybody with the same problem?

Forgot to mention: Happens in North/South DFW