AppsStreakSmart

Dell Backup & Restore app hits Android Market exclusively for Streak

Dell-backup-restore You may remember that one of the details Streak Smart obtained from an anonymous tipster last week was that the official Froyo update for the Dell Streak would include a backup/restore tool. You may have also spotted the tool, appropriately named Backup & Restore, right around the 2:10 mark in my video demo of Dell Stage.

DJ_Steve's newest 2.2 build, the one with Stage, also includes Backup & Restore, which saves system settings, your call log, short messages, ringtones, wallpapers, web bookmarks, user dictionary, and a copy of downloaded applications (with or without their settings and data) to the Streak's SD card.

And guess what. Backup & Restore is now available in Android Market (QR code below) and clearly labeled as being "for use with Dell Streak devices only."

Since the official Froyo update will wipe your Streak and this app makes it incredibly simple to backup and restore almost everything you'd lose with a simple tap, I wouldn't be surprised to see Backup & Restore mentioned by name in the update's installation instructions.

In other words, the wait is almost over.

Qrcode

Thanks, Brodie!

34 thoughts on “Dell Backup & Restore app hits Android Market exclusively for Streak

Hire is it working for everyone? takes an age, then produces “invalid back-up”
    I am running the leaked 2.1

OMG i think i’m gonna have an orgasm……

My first attempt shows “invalid backup” when it got done (took about a minute). I tried again to no avail. So deleted the backup, restarted my phone and tried it again. In less than a minute, I now have a successful backup. I’m running stock 1.6 on AT&T.

That means Froyo its just behind the corner ! ;)

I’ve been wondering if there is something on android similar to pimbackup on winmo….is this like that or is there another tool that is better?

I am going to get a streak so I want to know cause I always found it to be very useful.

Worked great on first attempt. Running on stock 1.6 AT&T.

Wait, just how much does this back up? I have MyBackup Pro, which seems to back up everything, especially with Root access…will Backup and Restore give me the same stuff back that MyBackup will?

Reboot fixed, thanks

• I’m runnig stock 1.6. I got a backup in about a minute. No reboot required.
    I can feel the taste of Froyo in the air.

Should We revert to Stock 1.6 to get the update ??? I’m on o2 2.1 beta

Just d/l’d and ran Dell Backup & Restore – no reboot needed for me, but YMMV. Gave absolutely zero options to select what you are saving, which is ok for me and 99% of the people who will use it. It just backs up everything you’d need to restore after a system upgrade. So it’s quick and doesn’t require any knowledge to use. And since most Android phones don’t have the memory constraints that haunted WM phones (not MS’ fault – limitation of the tech and the manufacturers being cheap), a full backup or three shouldn’t eat up too much storage space.

Could also be handy if you d/l a bad app. Do a factory restore (since some apps don’t completely uninstall properly) and then restore your personal stuff with this app.

I’m going back to the Market & giving it 5 stars.

• worked like a charm on my french streak 1.6

• worked like a charm for me as well; US 1.6

• What makes this better than Titanium Backup?

• I needed a reboot but after that all was fine! US AT&T 1.6

• @Hex: Much faster than Titanium. And espacially for the Dell. But what it’s worth, we will see when Froyo hits the road…

• Nothing. Titanium is still better but this app doesn’t require root access. It also simplifies the update process for people who don’t know about all the various backup/restore apps out there.

• I am a bit ignorant when it comes to things like this so I apologize before hand for my questions and any help would be greatly received. What will the backup and restore app do that the dell pc suite won’t? Is it just the fact that it cuts out having to use the computer? If so, when I do receive the froyo update, do I just apply the update then open the app and hit restore and that’s it? I also wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Jenn for everything she has done with this site and being the first to break ANY streak news.

I haven’t actually used Dell’s PC Suite, but one advantage to this is the backup is stored on your phone and you don’t need to connect to your computer – the backup is always with you. So if you’re out and about when Froyo OTA hits the Streak, you can update & restore without waiting.

Same if you use it to restore from a problem. If you know how to do the factory restore, you can then use this to restore your settings & apps without waiting to get to your computer.

This is a Very simple way to do a BackUp,More Simple than My BackUp Pro and Foe Sure Titanium and best of all FREE!I try in My Rooted 1.6 US version Streak and works Great from the very first time.

OTA . . yeah sure, we did not even get an OTA of 2.1 in Germany . . And the manual install does not work either . .

Yeah, the B&R Works really fast and easy . . basically backs up anything not on your user accessible SD card . .

I started it, but it was taking a long time (more than 2-3 mins) so I canceled it. I went back later, but didn’t see it in my app tray…. is it in there for everyone else, or was I just missing it??
    Anyway, I went back via the Market and tried it again… took less than a minute and said it worked successfully. BTW I’m on a Beta Streak, leaked O2 2.1 ROM.

• Thank you very much, that was exactly what I needed to know.

Running plain Vanilla Donut. Backup worked perfectly. Betcha the red one with FroYo is available for sale on the Dell website with a big Christmas bow on it just in time for Cyber Monday. That’s still November…..

• It SHOULD restore everything the way it was before. BUT some settings might get lost. EG for ADW-launcher. BUT you can export those settings to SD-Card from within ADW and import them later.
    I’ve done a backup with the app, the Dell suite AND BackupPro and will try to restore via the app and if that fails via the Suite and if that still fails or some pieces are missing via BackupPro.
    I hate upgrades that wipe everything and will try to minimize the hassle ;-)

• I am betting on the 12th of November. Coz that day the sales will start in Japan. They launch the streak with the 2.2 there.
    So for me – it’s only 4 more days until X-mas *g*
    Did anybody try a restore (after having wiped the device) with the dell app? Does it work?

We didn’t get ANY 2.1 update in the US. ;)

• Gonna make believe both of you are women

• Well, I’ve had the same problems as a lot of other people and a reboot was required.

I went from O2 2.1 offical to FroYo 1.2.0 (thanks Steve) but the restore doesn’t restore Applications – you have to download them again from the Market and it didn’t restore Application data (my Angry Birds progress as an example is gone) I even tried a re-restore after re-downloading the apps but this didn’t help.

Titanium is great for backing up Apps and App data and I will continue to use that instead.