HacksSoftware UpdatesStreakSmartTutorials

How to get official Android 2.2 update on Dell Streak [Updated]

Streak-off-froyo-tut

The official Android 2.2 update was released late last night/early this morning, depending on your time zone, for the US beta version of the Dell Streak (the one that came in the fancy packaging).

Unfortunately, as of this writing, no one has been able to complete the update process successfully [see update below]. This includes users who legitimately received the software update notification on their devices and those who downloaded the file and crossed their fingers that it would work on their non-US beta Streaks.

Disheartened and frustrated, most people have decided to continue what they've been doing, which is to wait for Dell to get its act together and then wait some more for the update to be officially released for their particular version of the Streak. While this is certainly the safest, most legitimate route to take, there's another path to follow that's a lot more fun and ends with you having the official Froyo update on your Streak right now.

How? Join me below and find out.

IMPORTANT: I can only personally confirm that the following instructions work if you're running DJ_Steve's latest Froyo build (version 1.3) because it's exactly what I did. It may work on other versions of his build too, as well as other Streaks, but I have only done it with Steve's v1.3 build as my starting point. Your mileage may vary. [Update: See list of all versions that have been upgraded here]

Other important notes:

• The official build is not as optimized/tweaked as DJ_Steve's build. If you want the fastest, smoothest ROM on your Streak, then you should use Steve's.
  • Applying this update with this method does not wipe your device. All of your apps and settings are still intact; however, since it never hurts to be prepared (you never know when you'll need to do a factory reset), you should create a backup before proceeding.
  • I am a Windows user, so the fastboot file and the instructions are provided and written for Windows. Apologies to Mac and Linux users.
  • Anything you do to your Dell Streak is done at your own risk. If you are uncomfortable with any of the steps, then please wait for Dell to release the official update for your device.

Still with me?

Great! Now let's move on to getting the official Froyo update on your Dell Streak using a Windows computer.

Note: I simplified the instructions as much as I could by keeping all the necessary files on your computer's desktop and hosting one of the files you need. I did this to simplify the command line work and eliminate the need to download the Android SDK.

1. Download this fastboot file to your computer's desktop. Don't do anything with it; just leave it on your desktop. If you feel more comfortable getting the file from the SDK, you can download the whole kit.

2. Download this .zip provided by DJ_Steve. Extract the folder and put the contents (amss.mbn, boot.img, system.img) on your computer's desktop.

3. Turn off your Dell Streak.

4. Hold down the power button. When the buttons light up on the side, press and hold down the camera button. Keep holding down both buttons until you see this white screen:

Streak-offroyo-fb (1)

5. Press the "FastBoot" button in the top right corner. You will see "Wait for USB FastBoot detect" on the Streak's screen.

6. Wait a few seconds (I usually count to 10, though this may not be necessary) and then plug the Streak into your Windows computer. "Fastboot_Mode" will be displayed in the lower left corner of your Streak's screen.

7. On your Windows computer, open the Command Prompt program. If you don't know where it is (it's preloaded), search for it in the Start Menu's search bar.

8. You should see C:UsersYour Name (or whatever your computer is called). All the files you need are on your desktop, so type cd desktop and press enter. You should now see C:UsersYour NameDesktop.

9. Now type fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn and press enter. Wait until you see "finished" and the active line in Command Prompt is C:UsersYour NameDesktop again.

10. Next type fastboot -i 0x413c flash boot boot.img and press enter. Wait until you see "finished" and the active line is once again C:UserYour NameDesktop.

11. Finally, type fastboot -i 0x413c flash system system.img and press enter. Wait until you see "finished" (it may take a few minutes this time) and the active line is C:UserYour NameDesktop.

If everything went smoothly, your Command Prompt should look similar to this (minus the "Jenn" part, presumably). Click to view in full size.

Commands-streak

12. Disconnect the Streak from your computer and remove the battery.

13. Reinsert the battery and power on the Streak normally. It will take several minutes to boot (mine took about 3 minutes).

14. Run through the start-up wizard and enjoy the official Android 2.2 build on your Dell Streak. Use z4root from Android Market or SuperOneClick to root the new build.

Thanks to DJ_Steve for once again coming through for Streak users around the world!

UPDATE: Looks like a new update.pkg was just released. Most people are reporting success with it, including those who do not have US beta Streaks. If your baseband ends with 00, you should be able to visit this link from your Streak and install the update with no problem. As always, your mileage may vary.

244 thoughts on “How to get official Android 2.2 update on Dell Streak [Updated]

• Hi Jenn, can you confirm this build has all the 3rd party apps that were to be included in the update such as Copilot8, Cinemanow, Zinio, Kindle, Radiotime etc.? I’m still not 100% sure this is the real update…just call me cautious!

wait im confused, at what point here are you actually updating the firmware? no update.pkg? or are those three files just the .pkg just taken apart?

• I don’t see CinemaNow and I already had Kindle, Backup & Restore, and Dell Sync installed before flashing, but now I also have this in my app drawer/tray:

AccuWeather.com
    AssistantFree
    CoPilot Live
    Dell Video Stage
    Evernote
    TuneIn Radio
    Welcome
    Zinio Reader

just like to add that i cant personally see this working unless you are already running 2.2 from steve because the rest of the system files wont be there if you are just flashing these three

Has anyone done this from Stock 1.6 on an AT&T-locked Streak and had it work? If so, can you tell me how?

ah i guess ill correct myself again, seems like all that is probably bundled into the system.img? lol someone on 2.1 try this and tell me if it works hahaha i dont feel like bricking my phone again

Can I try this on a streak with the o2 leaked build? Would it work?

• One thing I’m glad about in this release – they replaced RadioTime (paid app) with TuneIn Radio (free version). RadioTime is actually in Steve’s (Dell’s) build and I had to use Root Explorer to get rid of it. I played around with it and it charged my Android Market account for $1.99, and proceeded to try to do so again after opening it again!

• I’m about to do this once the zip file downloads. I am running Steve’s 1.3 Froyo as well.

• yeah im still locked down on 1.6 ATT

I can confirm this method does in fact work

It shouldn’t matter which version you start from as it flashes the whole lot anyway. but for argument sake I was using DJ_Steve 1.2 when I did it.

• so are u saying even ATT 1.6 should be able to upgrade

I wouldn’t be so quick to say that, as I’ve heard about a ton of Dell logo lock-ups when 1.6 users try to flash it. I’m waiting for someone to do it right before I do it myself.

• thats what im thinking lol

Yep, dell logo for over 10 minutes. That’s what I get for trying I guess.

I too have 1.6 locked att, so if anyone tells me its a go I’m pulling the trigger and doing it

• Thanks Jenn. I’m more confident that it is the final build now. Looks like Dell needs to update their update info page as some minor changes have been made! On a side note, anyone else disappointed at the lack of any info from Dell on their community blog as to what happened with the bad package? They have just left us all wondering what to do next!

This method change my baseband from 31 to 00 this don’t make any problem?

• Just finished my update and it went off without a hitch! One thing to add – you can type EXIT in the command prompt window when you’re done using Fastboot to close it. Now to test and re-establish my stuff.

So, I guess I need to find the stock ATT 1.6 US package to get this back to functional. Any have a link to that?

Thanks but unfortunately the images that the article links to are dead so I cannot download the rom images. gggrrr….

Streak stuck @ “wait for USB FastBoot detect…” Any ideas??

1.6
    31 baseband
    ATT-T

Tried all the USB ports on the computer.

Thanks in advance!

• i would recomend ATT users just to wait for december 3rd…. i literally gave myself a migraine bringing my phone back to stock…
    thats what im doing…. unless theres a way to do this without have to just jump from att 1.6 im not jumping ship

From what I understand, from Xda and such this work on all setups… no??

• do u have ur CPU and phone setup for fastboot? plus did u not read u have to already be on a custom rom to do it?

Havent seen anyone with a rooted eu unlocked 00 6267 streak like mine update successfully yet. I’ll give Dell’s official update for my device a few more days.

• You might wanna correct some stuff:

1. If you use this provided fastboot-windows.exe, you need to use:

fastboot-windows -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn etc.

Also the output looks different, you actually used stock fastboot not the one you provided.

2. You also need adb.exe etc files from SDK on your desktop to make it work..

Well, got it back to 1.6 but phone is not working. Baseband is listed as “unknown”. Not sure where to go from here…

• Firmware 1.6 Baseband GAUSB1A111231-US Kernel-2.6.29-perf Build-6601

‘fastboot’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

• How strange! The only thing I have on my desktop is the fastboot-windows.exe I provided. No SDK or anything else from it (unless it’s hiding somewhere I can’t see at all).

I always thought everything had to be in the same folder (in this case, the desktop) to work, no?

• Now I have use faboot-windows and I have error that syas AdbwinApi.dll is missing from your computer. Thanks

• I have copied all the files from Android sdk/tools folder ..and paste on my desktop and everything worked as mentioned so smoothly now restarting my dellstreak lets finger crossed.

• Worked perfect for me, I had my At&t running the O2 2.1. thanks for the easy to follow and do write up.

• Nothing is changes same old firmware with Baseband Version ‘UNKNOWN’ with home and menu buttons continuously blinking…

hi,
    i followed your steps. now after typing fastboot-windows -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn
    i got an message
    nothing more
    waited for more than 10 mins
    please help me
    i need 2.2 (still running 1.6)

sorry the message is
    and there is nothing else can see
    please help thanks

So it worked for you on 2.1? Could you please confirm this, I am on 2.1 and wanting a confirmation from someone, if am on leaked 2.1? Will it work for me??? Anybody??

is this the official dell update available for future updates from dell?

I’d like to hear more comparing DJ Steve’s 1.3 with the official Dell build. I can’t off hand think of any reason to update to Dell build from DJ Steve’s 1.3, especially if Jenn’s report of a less smooth/optimized build is correct.

Ok recieved a second notification of an update. The first one was 148 mb the second one was 150mb and it works. I am typing using swipe for the first with 2.2

• Ok so I went from o2 2.1 build 8105 on the ATT network with no problems. Everything works like a charm, at first it was a bit wonky but after a hard reboot things couldn’t be better. Flash works GREAT! Thanks fir the info and how to.

Any thoughts, guys / gals!?!? Trying all kinda options and not really getting anywhere. I am still stuck @ the Fastboot detect screen. Anything would help!!!

If you have a Streak with baseband that ends in 00 you can go to this link (on your Streak) http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100 and download the update and then install it. Just download, install and watch…I am running 2.2 – didn’t have to fastboot anything. Again, as long as you have 00 baseband.

Jenn, please update as we have multiple confirmation on your forum, and other places that this is happening for basebands ending in 00 :)

• Given my results, that may be a blessing. ;-)

Look in Device Manager and verify that you’ve got a driver for the Streak. In Fastboot mode, the phone should show up as an “Android Phone -> Android Composite ADB Device”. If you’ve got “Android 1.0” with a yellow ?! next to it under “Other Devices” you don’t have a driver.

Thank you! I am so excited. it works great!

CONFIRMED! IT WORKS! FINALLY!

I tried and got a FOTzA error and it rebooted to 1.6.

ATT branded 1.6 errors with FOTA error and then reboots back to 1.6.

For all of you having trouble with fastboot mode with it not wanting to connect when you plug your streak to your computer via usb. Go to google and search for android pda net…it will install a driver on your computer and that should allow you to be able to connect in fastboot.

• I would like to know this too. I’ve waited this long for the official build, but if it is s*** compared to DJ_Steve’s 1.3 build then I will just go ahead install that.

Hi Jenn, where can I find a link to d/l O2 1.6. I am currently on Att Stock 1.6, but I assume that I have to go O2 1.6->O2 2.1->DJ Steve Build->then to Dell Froyo.

If anyone who has ATT 1.6 or knows how to get to this Froyo from it please explain, as everyone with ATT 1.6 is having problems & unable to achieve Froyo from what I have read.

I would also like this. I feel like Im the only one with an att streak on 1.6. The fewer steps to 2.2 the better.

Even went as far as trying with the SDK pack, no luck.

No luck from 1.6, changed, updated drivers, moved files around. Stuck @ fastboot detect. After reading the 3 main forums, not exactly sure I want to just yet. Just need a very simple way for get Steve’s uploaded.

Thanks folks – followed the link and now have the official 2.2 Froyo on my Streak.

Unlocked UK version bought from Dell UK.

Thanks again.

John

• OH NO I’M STILL ON 1.6 AT&T LOCKED!!
    NOOO00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I can confirm, going from O2 2.1 on US Streak works like a charm. Just follow directions and you are golden. Im enjoying 2.2 as I type this right now. Thanks for the step by step, you ROCK!

Hi – did you go from stock 1.6 using that direct link to the Dell Update?

I have unlocked 1.6 (UK) but see most people are installing from 2.1 or rooted streaks

Cheers

Chris

I installed the official build Jenn mentioned in the UPDATE. I have an unlockend Streak bought in Germany and I am on T-Mobile Germany.

The update did work well however I do NOT get any GSM/UMTS connection! All the other stuff works ok. Might be interesting for some people before trying to update. Now I have to see how I get out of this mess.

• Windows says that driver for Android 1.0 cant be found after connecting USB, so i can’t see “Fastboot mode”. :( How can i instal this driver?

the same for me here….

there is no mobile internet connection at all for the german data networks…
    that sucks…

Hi

Direct link installed fine on my UK unlocked v1.6 Streak

Cheers

Chris Griffiths

Hi Chris – yes went straight from 1.6 stock.

John

Ditto… i am on two minds on which version i want to go for.. a Dj_Steve’s 2.2 vs. Dells 2.2 is required!

i have successfuly updated my dell streak using the link directly from my phone. I have dell streak 1.6OS, bought from e-bay (propably unlocked). I havent backed up anything on my phone and nothing is erased. the phone signal works ok (vodafone, greece)

i would like to add that i have downloaded the 150MB file and not the 148MB. The update progress took about 10minutes.

Same here, stuck on Dell logo after rebooting, anyone got any ideas ?

Could you please tell me where did you download the file from? Thanks

OK, now HOW do i get back the 1.6 Look and feel?
    I want the number field keyboard back.
    And the 1.6 Background.
    And the 1.6 Notification/menue-bar on top.

Magically T-Mobile Germany is now working with the official 2.2 update.

*phew*

I’ll just wait for it to get rolled out for my device… if I’m still waiting in December then I’ll upgrade myself.

forgot to add… my one is a UK direct from dell (unlocked) streak that shipped with 2.1 it’s about three weeks old.

Hey everyone!
    I have been on leaked O2 2.1 and have failed to successfully install 2.2 using official dell link.
    But the method described by Jenn has worked like a charm for me! Thank you!

I have originally bought my Streak in Estonia from Dell, naturally unlocked and on 1.6.

Have got no problems with GSM connectivity.

Good luck!

Damn it, even though i backed up with both the dell B/R and MyBackUpPro there’s still stuff missing from my SD Card too <.< My Music is gone. My Pictures are gone. My Movies/Episodes of series are still there somehow . .

I am an European Dell streak user from Holland and have an unlocked Dell with 1.6. Been following your site for a long time. I’ve been installing the official Froyo link through your website and I did have a “calendar storage error” very annoying pop screen right after. Looked it up and found a topic on Internet that explained how this might be fixed.

So I cleared my data and restarted and now it looks as everything is in order. I haven’t gotten far yet, I am just exploring everything thats new and trying to sync contacts and apps I lost but it looks great! Thank you very much for all the effort you are putting in to this website to keep us, Streak users, up to date, i check it daily for all the news. I will let you know how I got on after I’ve been on the ” Great Froyo Experience” Take care and best regards, Paulien

whats your connection settings please. i still dont have any data connection through umts or whatever…
    its annoying…

Have an Australian streak from optus have just updated with no issues yet, still playing will advise if any difficulties found.

Oh dear. Dell has only sold a handfull of Streaks and their update servers have already crashed! They supply servers to everyone else but do not use them themselves!

Could please all, who previously have been using Steve’s Froyo and now upgraded to Dell Froyo, give their verdict on which one is better?

I have visited http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100 from my streak directly and updated successfuly. Unlocked 1.6os from ebay, baseband ending with 00

I have posted this message from my streak.
    youtube now plays from the explorer so flash player works!

The official update is a bit sluggish…

I got 867 in Quadrant, then applied some of the tweaks that will be on Steve’s 1.4 and got 1279.

It looks like going from official 2.2 to Steve’s 1.4 should not require a factory restore (but may require ClockworkMod Recovery)

Got my update too, without any flashing etc…just OTA update :) Thank you!!!

The link at the bottom of this article from modaco worked fine for me (the 150mb file). US phone purchased a few days ago unlocked from Dell direct baseband 00. Thanks for the info.

• I want to save these things too. If I can’t find a similar keyboard I’m not ever updating. :-D

I have a US purchased Dell Streak that I rooted, flashed and updated to the O2 v2.1 build quite some time ago. Jenn’s instructions, in this post, easily and quickly have me running the v2.2 build now. Noteable after the upgrade –

1. all my apps and settings (aside from those requiring root access) are intact
    2. My baseband was 21 and is now 00 (GAUSB1A130900-US)
    3. Kernel = 2.6.32.9-perf
    4. Build = 11548
    5. debug.sf.hw=0 instead of 1
    6. no longer rooted and Universal Androot does not yet work (even after two simultaneous attempts)
    7. My data icon shows the familiar “H” instead of “3G”, which I was used to w/the O2 build
    8. Logging into multiple Google accounts now works
    9. PC Sync account has been removed
    10. Soundboard supplied notifications are missing
    11. Market purchases working (after adding 2nd Google account. I need two because my primary Google account is a GApps domain that has not converted yet)
    12. New Dell welcome tutorial in Apps won’t show its videos

Still looking things over…

If your starting with the stock ATT 1.6 Rom I could not go strait to the official 2.2 using this method. I had to flash the o2 1.6 ROM then o2 2.1 rom and then I was able to use this method above. Work great. and what a night and day difference.

10. Not just notifications, but all custom ringtones, sounds, and music. All my music was gone from my SDCARD – having to recopy now.

• Does anyone else out there in userland / tinkerville also detest Dell’s Stage?
    What a load of space wasting crap, it’s ok for a portrait device (which the Streak Isn’t)
    What the hell were Dell trying to accomplish?
    Soon downloaded LauncherPro instead (From Market)

I’ve also upgraded
    1.6 to 2.2 (O2 uk)
    2.1 to 2.2 (O2 uk)
    1.1.1(DJ Steve) to 2.2
    1.2(DJ Steve) to 2.2
    1.3(DJ Steve) to 2.2
    All using the fastboot method

i second this, im also on o2 2.1 with an att streak wanna try but wouldnt mind if at least one more person verified it works

The second update works like a charm. Updated from 1.6 with no complaints. Greetings from the Netherlands

• The ADW.Launcher thing was weird. I already had it installed, but couldn’t “find” it. I just re-installed it, did a reboot, and then it came up automatically.

• My 2 cents – Steve’s 1.3 is more optimized for battery life and speed than the official build, but there were things that were broken in Steve’s build that are fixed in the official. The good thing is that Steve is working on 1.4 which he’ll build from the official Dell build. He said it could be done today.

• I used z4root as well and it works. I was able to use it to enable Root Explorer so I could edit my build.prop file to change the debug.sf.hw value to 1.

Can someone confirm if the tethering tools/apps are included in the newest Dell build?

• 309 is not the final build, 310 is the final.

So much for buying a streak from best buy on att

Where is a list/how to for these tweaks? Thank you.

• Has anyone tried Dell video stage yet

Guys, I’m a UK (Direct Dell – Unlocked) Streak user running android 1.6. My streak’s version is GAUSB1A110100 and build 6267.

Can someone please let me know which Froyo I should go for?

Will this one – http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100 work for me properly please? Has anyone tried it?

Ronak

How to know what is baseband of my Streak?. Thanks

Sorry, my streak’s version is GAUSB1A111100. Please help, thanks!

• I tried it and got the FOTZA error…it rebooted to 1.6

Go to “Settings” and click “About Device”

• The link is broken now. smmhh.

Thank you so much Jenn. I found your site just after being one of the first to buy the streak when it went on sale in the US. I have followed you advice or directions for flashing my streak and improving my streak experience all this time without a single disappointment other then very low volume on my bluetooth headset during phone calls. I was ready to give up the streak due to that problem, but ever since I did the the official Android 2.2 update following your instructions, I now have good volume on my streak and am loving it. Thank you for all the time you put into your site to help us and keep us updated.

Duvel,

Does it work on android 1.6, version GAUSB1A110100 and build 6267 please?

Duvel,

Does it work on android 1.6, version GAUSB1A110100 and build 6267 please?

Sorry again, version GAUSB1A111100 please

OK I’ve got it installed but does this mean I’m now back stuck with the UK market? Can’t find slingplayer… halp!

• Soory Only GAUSB1A110700
    EU version i think

• Is there anything out there with a numberpad or customizable enough to make one? I use my Streak for number input more than text.

Could you please confirm which method you used, i am on Leaked 2.1, did you upgrade to DJ-Steve’s Froyo and then applied the official update or did you just install the files provided by steve by Jenn’s Method???? Please reply????

What does it do???

Oh yeah, you are right…

The one I printed above is the OEM version, my streak’s baseband version is GAUSB1A110700-EU

Thanks for confirming Duvel, thanks again.

Also 720p vid recording when i first tried made me force close now it crashes every time i switch from cam to camcorder!!

What tweaks did you apply mate??? Wana Share, I am Sure EVeryone would like to have the quadrant score that you are having? Please???

• Steve tweaked the interface to get more speed and better battery life out of it. I just installed it and I can see the difference.

• I have flashed Steve’s 1.4.1 zip file over the Dell build, and it was completely successful. Here’s my log of findings:

Here’s the content just in case you’re not set up there:

Once again, done and done! Just flashed the 1.4.1 zip file over my Dell 2.2 build and it rebooted with no problem. Checked the build info and it now says Froyo Version 1.4-OC By DJ_Steve. The phone did unlock with a GMail FC message, however. I will post any findings as I explore. Steve, a great job again! Thanks!!

First observations:
    *Interface seems snappier – Quadrant benchmark is at 1501! Top of the list!!
    *Dolphin browser was able to bring up MoDaCo (no redirect failure)
    *3G indicator has returned (instead of H)
    *No initial sound issue
    *No green bar or rotation issues with YouTube
    *FC with RockPlayer after playing a file and exiting the program
    *No FC with Brightness control
    *My device is still rooted (used z4root before I flashed to 1.4.1)
    *Universal Androot is back under my program list (and appears to work)
    *AppBrain thinks four items need to be updated, but Market does not
    *Install from Market works
    *Still don’t see 720p option for video, but High (30p) option works

So far, so good. Going to shut it off and calibrate the screen, and see if I get the GMail FC message again. UPDATE – I got the Gmail FC message again. [Fixed the last item by clearing data on the app itself].

• Who else is TAKING THEIR STREAK BACK?!

I am taking mine back tomorrow…thanks DELL for the RIDE.

Worked perfect, thanks Jenn and Steve!

I just updated to 2.2 and it is extremely sluggish. Should I do a factory restore?

It seems to have fixed itself. It is running smooth and faster now.

The update is the worst thing ever happened to my streak, the widget and everything is sluggish, not to mention the low mobile signal that my streak is having ever since after the update, we browsing is bull crap, browsing is so shitty that I haven’t been able to load one single page without waiting for at least 5 minutes, and flash simply wouldn’t work because the browsing speed is bull shit, my streak was blazing fast in 2.1, F*ck you Dell for sucking at your job once again, you mother f*ckers are a shame, one guy Dj Steve is better than your whole bull shit company, I am waiting for steve’s built 1.4…. do not update at all people…..

• I got mine working with official release after bricking the Streak with DJ Steve’s 1.2 Froyo. Have done rooting the phone too.

Performance not as good as 1.2 but at least it works. Except now, I want to get rid of the extra build in apps which is of no use to me.

Hey mate, would you like to share what tweaks gave you that quadrant score, i would really appreciate it, thanks!!!

No, i meant to ask, what does build.prop change that you and jenn made do???? What is the purpose of that change in build.prop???

I have GAUSB1A110700 streak unlock. can someone help me what method should i use? im using 1.6

I have GAUSB1A110700-EU streak unlock. can someone help me what method should i use? im using 1.6

• I honestly haven’t seen anything. I AM liking Swype as my default keyboard – give it a try.

• It allows the hardware to do heavy processing, rather than software.

• What to do … The fastboot update went as described (with the 3 files and similar response in the cmd window, but after 8 hours with Dell-logo….I think something went wrong ;-)

As promised my update: I love it! What can I say, we Dutch are easy to please:). I like the Stage UI cause I love fiddling with big widgets. Haven’t encounterd any problems anymore, so far so good. It even seems as of my speakers sound has improved. That was my only negative remark about this streak. The speaker sound was not that great so I bought an external one and the problem was fixed. But now with froyo it sounds even okay, not great, but okay without one. But manet I am just on a high. Anyway thanks Jenn, for ask you effort in keeping us up to date with your great site and I wil keep checking. Ask the best to all you streak user our there and best Holiday wishes. Sincerely, Paulien

• Hi Jenny, I followed your instructions and the upgrade to 2.2 ended with the same images you show, however my phone is now stuck on the Dell logo will not start. My Streak have version 6601 and baseband =GAUSB1A111231-US. Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!
    Maurice.

Hi All, If my phone bought from O2 and upgrade to 2.1 using RebelSim, the Baseband version is no 00, What happen if I install the dell from http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100? would it still able to upgrade or should I upgrade to Steve 1.3V version? Also is the RebelSim still work if I upgrade to both version? Thanks

Hey there. I have done exactly as I have written. Nothing in the middle. Good luck.

If someone under AT&T 1.6 base 31-US has been successful upgrading to 2.2 with this official dell upgrade (for 00 unlock), please let us know. Thanks.

• Umm ok how do i go back to Dj Steve Froyo? i really dont like this…

• You did this on stock att 1.6 baseband 31?

• can confirm it worked, flashing from 2.1 leaked to official 2.2. phone was rooted beforehand but androot fails now :-/

for those having problems, make sure you download the dell sync program. then plug the phone in (2.1 at least) and dont press anything. should auto install the drivers, then you need to load into fastboot and reinstall the driver (select from list, android devices etc etc)

after that it worked flawlessly

• I did not know that you can purchase unlocked US phones from Dell yet? I read in this forum that unlocked phones are coming to the US in a few weeks?

you need to reflash the baseband, the amss.mbn, problem is, Ive yet to be able to find the one for att 1.6, i have the o2 2.1 one if you needed that

take out the battery and place it back. then do factory reset?

• So, does anyone have any ideas as to why Dell is having such a hard time managing this update to the Streak?
    Are their servers crappy?
    Is their ISP incompetent?
    Does someone at Dell resent the Streak?
    Is the Dell streak team just stoned—like the Gotta Get a Dell Dude?
    I am interested in your theories.

• As stated in the post, you can use z4root to root the official build.

• Jenn,

Thanks for the great instructions! They worked perfectly on my US AT&T Streak running the old 2.1 O2 version. Thought I’d pass it along in case anyone else has that config and is wondering if it will work.

Thanks Again!

• I updated from AT&T 1.6 to O2 1.6 then to O2 2.1 and jumped to the Dell 2.2 via instructions above and I am PROUD to say that it works!

Thank you Jen for the awesome write up!

Never mind i figured it out after a day of messing around lol running DJ Steve 1.4.1 and all happy again… =)

Just apply DJ_Steve’s update-1.4.1.zip, they are already baked in!

Now I am getting 1700! Way better than the Nexus
    One! Go Streak!

When i try to update my Streak i says E: cant open /sdcard/update.pkg (BAD) WTF?! :S

Thank You Eugene, I am on Official Froyo but the Dolphin Browser HD is unable to load web pages while the stock browser is working fine, wonder what will fix it or if anyone else is having the same problem???

But people are having Issues with Changing Ringtones and FCs while Exiting the Browser and Gmail, and the 720p camcorder Fc is common in both Steve’s and the official built, I will think about updating once Steve takes care of all the glitches, Waiting for 1.5 update from Steve or 1.4.2 since some people are reporting better performance on 1.3 than on 1.4.1…..!

• You cannot go straight from stock ATT 1.6 to this particular update. You either need to wait for the official update to be released for ATT units or flash another ROM to change the baseband so this update will work.

I have now tried two with two windows 7 pcs and also installed all the required drivers with dell pc suite.
    On both pcs i am getting the error message when running the first command line
    “The program can’t start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem”
    I know this is something to do fastboot, does that mean i will need to install the whole sdk???

• Works AWESOME! I had the O2 2.1 on my AT&T US Streak. ULTRA EASY! Thank you thank you thank you!

• you need to download the sdk, dont insall it, just place the files Jenn links to in the extracted SDK and run your cmd prompt though that folder.

in the cmd prompt use the code: cd *then paste the folder path of the sdk extraction here*

Hey Jenn, how are you?

I wanted to thank you once again with keeping us up to date with everything related to Streak.
    Still wanted to ask if you are satisfied with custom Froyo rom performance? My Dell seems a tad slower than it was on 02 2.1 leaked build… I did a hard reset and have changed that needed parameter to “1” in the buil.prop file in the system directory. But the system still feels a bit slow, when browsing through menus and such.
    My best score in An3D benchmark has been 4596.
    Please reply if you are getting better results with possibly latest v1.4.1 (DjSteve custom rom) or not? I’m thinking of going custom froyo. What do you suggest? Thank you.

And has anyone else gone from official froyo to DjSteve rom?

I managed to update to official Froyo, from direct Dell link. I have a UK unlocked 1.6 Streak, direct from Dell.
    Rooted with z4root.
    Batter seems quite a bit better.

Stage looks like a piece of garbage sticking in.
    I miss the quick wifi/3g settings bar.
    Also seems to have too many junk apps now. And too many getting back into memory all the time. Need to get some cockroach killer.

TaskSwitcher doesnt seem to work.
    All my contacts are getting exported from contacts(export) and can see the names in the call log. Very strange, But not able to see any of my contacts in the contacts(phone app).

Titanium shows “contacts 1.5.1-33-Froyo” and “Contacts 2.2”.
    Could this be the problem?
    If anyone has the contacts issue and have managed to solve it, please do help.

TIA

• I have not flashed the new DJ_Steve build yet, but when I do, I will flash it right over the official build. Others have already done this with no problem.

• Hi Jenn, just to clarify, is the version of stage on the official update the same as the one on DJ_Steve’s?
    What happened to the version we saw on the engadget snaps? I really liked that version better.. but that just me.

• +1

I updated the stock o2 1.6 to leaked 2.1

Can I use this to update to 2.2?

Has anyone tried this?

• Yes. The one on Engadget is still a mystery. If someone finds it, I am sure that Steve would bake it into his next update.

• Ok, after 24 hours of review, I am having the same problems I had on the O2 2.1 rom. The digitizer drivers aren’t working. Only sometimes could I unlock my device on 2.1 and now after 14 hours or so on 2.2 I cannot use my Streak at all. UGH!

Tried this with my 1.6 OO unlocked Streak, but ‘the download was unsuccessful’. Never mind, at least I keep the current keyboard.

There appears to be ANOTHER new update, here:

End up with GAUSB1A131500-EU baseband after flashing to it, and i assume it’s only for unlocked units based ion the 00 ending.

Works fine for my Optus unlocked Streak ( does require a factory restore, or at least mine did)

Thanks to the poster for the info from here:

Does anyone know if the Official Froyo update will work directly on the new Streak units from Best Buy? I’m not as tech savy as some of you, and would hope that Dell’s update works.

And does anyone know if the Best Buy units come locked or unlocked?

Thanks…and looking forward to joining the Streak owners club.

And does anyone know if the Best Buy units come locked or unlocked?

Thanks…and looking forward to joining the Streak owners club.

sorry not sure why it displayed my message twice….apologies!

• Hi Jenn….how can I do to eliminate a bad update to 2.2 from 1.6 in my Streak. It was 1.6, baseband 31-US, version 6601. My device now is locked with logo Dell and do not start. Help me, please.
    Maurice.

Fixed this by selecting contacts->display options->choose contacts to display->your mail id->All Other contacts.

• Try flashing a different ROM, maybe the O2 2.1 one if you want to upgrade to 2.2 right after that.

• I dit this.

“Most people are reporting success with it, including those who do not have US beta Streaks. If your baseband ends with 00, you should be able to visit this link from your Streak and install the update with no problem.”

Works perfect on my streak from holland 2.1 to 2.2 very very fast end it works in dutch (nl) nou, all my programs work incl. data thanks for the good work.

Don’t know if it’s any use but I just did this from a UK O2 2.1 (Locked) Streak, using the above method, and have never done it this way before but it worked without a problem.

Probably a bad n00b question but do I need drivers for fastboot or something? I can’t get my phone to recognise the USB connect when I follow the instructions above.

my dell streak still shows ” wait for USB fastboot detect….” when plugged in, what application do i need to use to remedy this?
    Regards
    Edward

• Yep, same here. Thanks Jenn.

I think I have completely ruined my phone. Well not completely. It hangs on the Dell boot up screen. I can get into fastboot, recovery, and since I have a smartphone I can put an update.pkg file on the sd card from my computer. But for some reason I must have deleted some files off the sd card that were necessary. I have a white dell streak, originally it was build 6601 or something running 1.6. and I even tried to flash amss, boot, and system files above and thats where I’m at. Please help

I guess I’m going to have to wait till Dec. 3rd or when someone has an update.pkg that will work on locked, white, best buy, us, 1.6, build 6601 streaks.

Happy Thanksgiving, btw. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, btw. :)

Jenn, would it be possible to provide a step by step “how to” tutorial that shows how to go from the official dell 2.2 update shown here to Steve’s 1.4.5 custom ROM?

I have been trying all week and now I am totally lost.

That is assuming I can get back to the Dell 2.2!

• Hey guys, finally got it working but it might be worth adding at the beginning how to get vista to recognise fast boot as it took me an hour getting the right drivers for it

• Hmm. It’s always been my understanding that you can just flash Steve’s new build right over the official update from Dell. I keep meaning to try it myself but I swear my days have less than 24 hours in them lately.

Update: Okay, just flashed Steve’s v1.4.6 right over the Dell update with no problem. No wipe, no baseband change required. Just download .zip, move to SD card, and flash via recovery.

This is pure sex :)
    except one thing fastboot file from the android sdk should be used, a better option would be to copy all of the files in the Tools folder as they are on the desktop!

Hey hello, just to tell you one more thing for folks stuck at the dell boot logo.. go into recovery and choose Factory reset .! That is the volumes keys during startup !andchoose factory reset. wait for 5 minutes works like a charm!

• I am currently dloing directly to my streak from a 00 baseband 1.6 US model purchased black friday

• I bought German Streak at Media Markt – I used original from Dell and it works without problems exept for the build in Browser which quit often comes around with a “too many Server redirects” messages and stop browsing! That’s a bit unlucky…

Cheers from Germany,
    Frank

• Baseband 21, Dj_Steve’s 2.2 (v1.1), no problems whatsoever,took less than ten minutes.

O2 UK Streak.

Great instructions, worked flawlessly.

• after u download rite from the streak what should it do mine just booted rite to the dell logo and hangs there no status bar or anything just dell logo

I tried following the steps. Everything went throught at first. But, after I boot the phone up, it did not work. All I can see is the Dell logo on the screen. Anyone has any idea of how to fix this,please.
    Thanks

• I did this and my Dell streak got stuck on Dell logo. Nothing is happening again. Please help

Thanks a lot. Now my 1.6 stock streak is bricked. I cannot find the stock recovery image and rom to fix it.

This article should clearly state at the top that it’s not for stock us locked streaks on 1.6.

@ sean b: it says in the bolded IMPORTANT note that the instructions are only confirmed to work on DJ_Steve’s build. There is also an exhaustive list of all the other versions and upgrade paths known to work in the article right above this one: http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/11/list-of-dell-streak-versions-that-can-currently-upgrade-to-official-android-22.html

And it says that if you don’t know what you’re doing, then you shouldn’t do it.

I think that’s pretty clear.

It said it’s only confirmed to work, not it will *only* work. Coming from a Nexus One (ive rooted and loaded several different roms over time), the Streak is seeming harder to work with.

I have been trying to fix the phone using the QDL tool but fails at:

Run HEX success
    ERROR[D14]: Streaming hello Failed!
    ERROR: Download fail!
    Please remove the battery and try again.
    Wait for modem set up ……
    Download Fail! – 2010/12/04 13:23:57
    Elapsed Time: 22.61 sec

Any help getting back to stock or to froyo would be greatly appreciated.

It works on other versions too. When this was written, I don’t think anyone with 1.6 AT&T tried it yet so the disclaimer is appropriate IMO.

The comments here and elsewhere prove that other versions and builds can be updates too. According to the list of working versions that work, you need to flash O2 2.1 before you can update to 2.2 with this method.

Do you have the white Streak from Best Buy? That one is somehow different from the black ones.

If you can still fastboot, you should go to O2 2.1 instead of stock 1.6. Even if you don’t upgrade to 2.2, 2.1 is still great improvement over 1.6.

• Ok, I’ve made it to the o2 2.1 (from ATT 1.6). When I go and try to step 9 I get that just stays there. Any ideas?

I have all the files in the folder including fastboot.exe. And I can get into fastboot mode

“9. Now type fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn and press enter. Wait until you see “finished” and the active line in Command Prompt is C:UsersYour NameDesktop again.”
    Edit/Delete Message

• When I mean stays there, I should have said after I entered the command, “fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn” it returns and does nothing…

• Ugggh, the forum will not let you put brackets, it says “waiting for device” after I put in the command above

• for anybody having problems with the fastboot on 1.6 make sure you have the drivers for the usb installed or it wont work ;)

• Wooowww. This worked for me beautifuly!! Went from ATT 1.6 to O2 1.6 to o2 2.1 to this. Worked perfect thank you sooo much!!

still on stock 1.6 at&t is there an way to update to dj Steves or dells 2.2 I can’t take waiting anymore

oh with out going from three different bassbands

Ok everyone I have a few questions? Would like to hear any response. I am looking at getting a dell streak since Best Buy lowered price to 99 bucks. Everyone on the net is talking about 2.2 froyo ota update. I was on dell’s website yesterday & 2.2 is available for download on this site! So why is there such a big deal over the ota update if downloadible update is out? I even chatted with a dell rep & they said it’s out for even at&t customers. Which i am! Is there some difference between the ota update vs. the dowload update?

Im stuck at the dell logo :( Please help

never mind. I bricked it. But i unbricked it and got it working. (:

• OK I too messed up I tried to go from a stock 1.6 locked to att wit a 31 baseband and stuck at log screen. I need the 1.6 files to get back. I am locked at the dell Logo and not getting passed this screen. I should have waited, but hey no risk no reward. Any help on finding the files would be appreciated.

• shoot I mean logo screen I guess I should proof read before I post. I have been all over tried several things all do not seem to get me back to a state where I can at least boot

Thanks

• Hi Jenn,

I’m from canada and my streak is locked to rogers. Will this work for me? My streak is still 1.6 and I’m fed up with my network provider.

Thanks

Hi Jenn,
    I’m trying to follow your instructions to upgrade my streak 1.6 (att locked to 2.2 and the link you have to DJ_steve’s zip file (see below)
    2. Download this .zip provided by DJ_Steve. Extract the folder and put the contents (amss.mbn, boot.img, system.img) on your computer’s desktop

goes to a “food truck” site? I was able to find all the files (amss, boot) but not the system file from another DJ_Steve site… can you help me find the right 3 files? – thx! Mike

• Hi, does anyone know where I can get the right 3 files that Jenn refers to from DJ_Steve (amss.mbn, boot.img, system.img) so I can try and get my ATT locked Streak to 2.2?
    The link she provides doesn’t work anymore.

Thanks!
    Mike

• does not work !!!!!!!
    as soon as you use fast boot on at&t streak leds will flash and after you get to O2 AND TRY TO GO ANYWARE 2.1 or back to at&t you better be ready to call dell for a new streak!!
    p.s now the send you a refurb one

• Why is it that when I tried to download “zip provided by DJ_Steve” he is asking for login and password?

• You need a password for step 2??

• hi can someone help pls. how can i update dell streak 1.6 to 2.2 version

• Excellent blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or
    go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Many thanks!

Hiee i have dell streak handset bt in that anriod market is not been opening. Pls help

• What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & assist different users like its aided me. Great job.