AndroidTutorials

How to root the Samsung Galaxy Tab

Galaxy-tab-root

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a good device out of the box. Third-party apps from Android Market and elsewhere make it great, and having root access makes it even better.

Rooting the Tab opens up a world of possibilities that would otherwise be out of reach. Root access gives you complete control of the system, which means you can do much more with the device than Samsung and your carrier probably want you to do. It lets you install awesome root-only apps, uninstall apps that can't normally be removed, do complete backups (Nandroid), flash custom ROMs, apply themes, change boot animations, and more. Note: Some of this isn't possible on the Tab yet, but I have no doubt that it will be soon.

In other words, root access is something that you definitely want on your Tab . . . as long as you're comfortable with voiding your warranty. There are ways to unroot and flash the stock recovery image (if you flashed a custom one) to cover up your tracks in case you ever need to send the device in for repair, but there's no guarantee that you'll get away with it. In other words, rooting is not completely risk-free and anything you do is at your own risk.

Z4 There's more than one way to root the Galaxy Tab, but the easiest method is to use a one-click root app called z4root.

One-click root apps aren't new (Universal Androot, for example, has been around for months), but z4root is what I used to root my Tab so it's what I'm recommending.

Here's how to use it to root the Tab:

1. Download z4root from Android Market (direct link) and install it.

Z4root-qr

2. Enable USB debugging on your Tab by pressing the Menu button then tapping Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.

3. Open z4root and press the "Root" button.

4. Don't panic when the Tab restarts. It's supposed to do that.

When it's fully booted, you won't get any kind of confirmation of your success. Everything will look exactly the same. Open z4root again, though, and you'll see this:

Z4-success

Another way to confirm your new root access is to look for the newly installed Superuser app in your app drawer/tray.

Have fun!

15 thoughts on “How to root the Samsung Galaxy Tab

So after it’s rooted whats next? There is no custom roms for the tab yet right or atleast a hack to enable the phone features that was disabled on the us version.

i prefer the iPad… It just seems like the “copies” is good when they arrive, but with the next release of iPads they are behind again… lots of competions this days to win one as well, if you dont have one… Have you noticed the new campaign from the it security company sophos… easy to win if you like to share things… :) mostinvincible.com

• Charles, so your argument is that the “copies” are good when they arrive, but fall behind when Apple release a NEW iPad? You mean other companies don’t refresh product cycles as well, only Apple does? Fantastic logic. I’ll give you this much though, Apple knows how to properly announce a product release.

I used “z4root” to root my Eris. It is very simple and it works.

• A note of warning for anyone with a Galaxy Tab from Vodafone UK – the USB Debugging checkbox is visible but greyed out if there is no SIM in the device (I bought mine SIM-free). Put a SIM in and although the checkbox looks to be greyed out, clicking it brings up a confirmation dialogue box.

And interestingly, although my Nexus One does NOT support tethered data with my Mac, the Galaxy Tab does…

Hi, How can I do a backup for the current Rom? I want to back up my Stock Rom before playing with other things.

Please, Help.

• You need to do a Nandroid backup via Clockworkmod recovery or ROM Manager. There is a working Clockwork in the XDA forums, but it is still a little buggy. I’m not sure if ROM Manager works yet.

The best thing about an iPad is that it is the perfect size to use as a clipboard for the old pen & paper. I will take my Galaxy Tab which can display web pages containing flash content, has expandable memory, and costs about half as much; oh, and I can fit it in my jacket pocket.

I have the tab from Sprint and it doesn’t allow me to do much at all.
    I can’t even use a 3rd party bluetooth keyboard, but it will connect to the t-mobile tab. I am not sure if rooting will give me what I needed. Also, I can’t find zroot on the android market
    I would like to make it work otherwise I am going to send it back

will it block my future updates? (if any)

App seems to be gone… Is it still available somewhere?

I did install the update samsung app store,
    is this a problem? a friend of mine said: you cant root if you updated the samsung app store.

is there a other way to root the tablet?

• I cant find the android store… I looked it up on the samsung store and it wasnt there… the link doesnt work either