The ROM is a translated port of the well received Chinese MIUI build for the Nexus One, so you may have seen it running on other phones before. There's a lot to like about this ROM, but it's important to note that 4G and HDMI are not working. This isn't the only custom EVO ROM to have this shortcoming, of course, but it could definitely be an immediate dealbreaker to those who value two of the EVO's most unique features.
G&E reader John is not one of these people. He wrote in to tell me how much he's enjoying the MIUI ROM on his EVO. He's been using it for over a month and says it's stable and packed with features. The latest version is v0.11.26.2, but John is running v0.11.19, which includes a new music app that can fetch lyrics to whatever he's listening to. Sounds pretty sweet!
Screenshots and benchmarks of the MIUI ROM running on John's EVO below.
Click any image to view in full size.
Notable features of the ROM include:
- No app drawer (all apps are on the home screens)
- Unlimited home screens with drag-and-drop rearranging ability
- Lock screen music controls
- Ability to set lock screen wallpaper
- Direct access to dialer and SMS from lock screen
- Built-in screen capture (press menu and volume down button at the same time)
- Power controls with 3-way boot (reboot, recovery, bootloader) in notification shade
- Selectable battery indicator style
- Unique widget application UI
- Built-in wireless tethering
- Flip phone over to silence ringer
- Up to 5 user-selectable app shortcuts in the home launcher dock
- Translucent taskbar/status bar
Don't forget to create a Nandroid backup first![MIUI Developers] Thanks, John!