What your Dell Streak gets from official Froyo update
We’ve already caught a glimpse of what the Android 2.2 update procedure will be like for the Dell Streak. We also know quite a bit about what we can expect from the new Dell Stage launcher, and we’ve heard other bits and pieces gleaned from the beta build too. But now let’s hear everything straight from the source.
Dell has updated its support pages with just about everything you’d want to know about running Froyo on your Streak. Of particular note is the timing of the OTA update, which the company says will be rolled out “over the course of approximately two weeks.” The UK is expected to receive the update first, as you know, so prepare yourself for hearing about other people getting the notification before you.
Now let’s move on to the details.
Here are the highlights of what your Streak will get from the update. Most of this isn’t new information, but it bears repeating since Dell is confirming it.
Note: If you’re running Android 2.1, then you already have some of this.
- Dell Stage launcher and widgets
- Swype keyboard
- Faster system and browser performance
- Improved memory management
- Adobe Flash 10.1
- USB tethering
- Mobile hotspot (I’d be shocked if AT&T didn’t block this)
- 720p HD video recording
- Multi-touch gestures in more apps
- Live wallpapers
- App storage on SD card
- “Update all” and automatic update options in Android Market
- Install .apks directly from Gmail
- Document editor
- Updated dialer and standard Google gallery
- Backup & Restore app (replaces Dell PC Suite)
- Exchange email client (replaces Touchdown)
- MSC/UMS connection type only (MTP no longer supported)
- Home screen portrait orientation
Dell’s last revision was yesterday but since there are still lots of typos, maybe the document isn’t a final draft and more changes/features will be revealed later.Dell] Thanks, putanginamo!