StreakSmart

Dell drops price of Streak by up to $180

Unlocked-streak-newprice

Just days after Best Buy started selling the Dell Streak for $99.99 with two-year contract, Dell has reduced its prices by $100 or $180, depending on configuration.

New prices:

• 16GB black and red Streak with AT&T contract: $199.99
  • 16GB black and red Streak unlocked: $399.99
  • 32GB black and red Streak with AT&T contract: $298.99
  • 32GB black and red unlocked: $498.99

Whether these are now the official new prices of the device or just a limited-time offer is unknown. Let's just hope this isn't some kind of fire sale.

[Dell] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

49 thoughts on “Dell drops price of Streak by up to $180

While awesome already, this would have been really awesome two weeks ago when I finally took the plunge and bought my unlocked Streak.

32 GB and red for $150 less than what I paid? Why oh why couldn’t I just wait another couple of months?

• The $180 discount on the unlocked phones (why are unlocked cheaper than locked?) is marked as expiring in November of 2011. I’d say that’s a fairly permanent reduction.

BTW, this was the final kick I needed to finally buy a Streak. I’m a bit bummed that I won’t have 3G speeds with T-mobile, but for $400, it’s worth it anyway.

These new prices don’t seem to show up with Dell U/EPP wonder if that means they’re only temporary.

• Jenn….is possible that Dell should be already plans to release another device in early next 2011(hopefully not as frustrating as Streak!!!!! )….. maybe……Dell Mini 7/Tablet 7?…….
    Greetings.
    Mauricio Villota.

Very true weren’t they supposed to have the 7 inch tablet out already? Maybe they’ll have that at $499.

• Damn! Wish I would have waited a few weeks. Oh well. Enjoying my Streak!

• in for a cancellation!

• Was probably going to get a Nexus S, but with the price drop I bit.

As tablets gain popularity, I wonder if there is a market for a bluetooth ‘phone’ accessory for an Android tablet like the Streak or Galaxy Tab? I’m envisioning a small candybar with basic display for dialing only, along with 12 key. Use it instead of holding a 5″-7″ tablet up to the face. As near as I can tell, it would be a technical no-brainer working something like a hand-free profile device as for autos. Then I pay one subscription and get voice and data on one device in the optimal form factors for both functions.

I don’t own a Streak (one year into a VZ contract with a Droid). I keep wanting the Streak, but I’m frustrated with how Dell is handling updates. Gingerbread seems like a needed update, but I doubt Dell will commit to it for the Streak (and to be fair, I don’t think Moto will for my Droid, but that is a sunk cost. Any new device I buy better have 2.3 or a promise to update).

Patrick

Now that I have froyo on here, I am in love with this device. It is blazing fast. And its one big slab of eye candy. Bought first day they came out and have been wondering if I made a mistake. Not anymore. Might buy a seco.d one at this price.

Signs of the time , big drop means one thing……. New model coming out ! Faceout is just right around the corner.

• Damnit now I have to cancel my order I just placed this morning…..grrr but at least I will save some money.

• You should still be in the return period so if you can live without your streak for a week or so, return it to Dell or whoever you bought it from, get your refund, but a new one and spend the $100 on a good case and apps

Patrick,
    I’ve done a fair amount of design work for just such a device. Parts costs are about $150 including custom PCB, NOT including an enclosure.

My original design called for a business card sized device (again, not including enclosure)

Nokia LCD
    PIC24 microcontroller
    Bluetooth module that includes most of the audio hardware and is simple to interface
    16 key keypad, plus a few bi-color LEDs and a scroll wheel type control.

I had some problems finding a surface mount speaker that would give the needed volume, but I assume that this could be resolved by using a speaker mounted in the enclosure. And if you’re going to mount a speaker to the enclosure you may as well do this for a mic.

I included a few other components (including a connector for a wiimote nunchuck) as this platform would be useful in a number of other situations (think hobby robotics, data logging, etc).

The most costly component is the bluetooth module, with the PCB coming in a close second.

I didn’t feel the cost was worth it, even if features were cut to be JUST a bluetooth handset.

If anyone is interested I could send what I’ve got. Much of the design is in Eagle.

I was under the impression that Dell would release an LTE version in Q1 of 2011. If that is the case I’m fine with 3G.

I am finally a full fledge Streaker as I write this from my froyo updated Streak. It’s a new world!I

• Doubtful Dell could get their act together so soon. Plus Dell seems really prone to leaks and we haven’t heard anything.

• I just bought my Streak on Friday. I know how you feel! :

I would be intrested in what you have so far. Why did you go with a pic24 instead of something like a psoc from cypress?

• Oh yeah and since I got my Streak at BB there is a 15% restocking fee, so between that and the effort of reinstalling everything on top of struggling with my iPhone 3G again while I wait for my cheaper Streak to be delivered, it’s only tempting enough to be annoying as hell. Then again, this is typical of Apple, so I’m used to it.

The AAA member page still has the “old” price, even applying a 10% discount coupon the best price for the unlocked 16Gb is $469.79. Either they still have to update the AAA member price or Dell’s marketing is really from another dimension… :-)

• I’d bet on the latter.

I spoke with a chat representative about the different prices and they basically just said I had the choice of where to order. Doesn’t make sense for them to show that red “save $180” if that isn’t actually being offered.

• OK, I think I’m going to bite the bullet and return my white Streak to BB and order a red one, unlocked, from Dell.com.

Anyone have any tips on the best way to back up your apps on this thing? I managed to download a buttload of stuff in the last week. :)

Man, my iPhone looks so tiny now!

• Only in America, you say? Pity, indeed . . .

Just ordered my Streak. Was looking for reviews on Nexus S to decide which one to go for. But I felt like Streak is stylish enough and has all the feature I will be using. This surely paid back with Dell dropping prices on unlocked models. Now waiting anxiously for my Streak to come :-)

• Are you rooted? Use Titanium Backup if so. It saves apps, settings, and app data. Non-root backup apps will only save the apps so all your saved game data, for example, will be lost.

i didnt get the 399.00 quote for the dell rep i just talk too!!

Great. Now I have TWO Streak’s to return.

Lawyers should be reading, Class Action Suit

Yeah, WTF! It’s still CAD$550 in Canada with no plan, but even that version is carrier-locked to Rogers!

For a Froyo unlocked device, I’d’ve ordered NOW if it was $399 up here.

• I’ve been following this amazing website for quite sometime now. Thanks Jenn! Streak is a magnificent device & I don’t have it yet!! I’ve been reading everyone’s experience with this device and how Dell is uncertain when to update their locked devices. Honestly, Dell sucks in this mobile field (for now). This Huge price drop only suggests, new device might be in works as phonedog.com had published an article few weeks back. Now I’m contemplating should I jump or should I wait like I did for 3 months! If only someone can confirm there’s a streak 2 in works, that would be relieving!!

Anyone see red cherry 16gb for 399? Dont see it at the link…

• Look on page 2, on the right side above the row of Dell Streaks it says “Viewing 1-5 of 8” just click page 2.

nevermind page 2, durrr

• For those wondering if a new model is coming out soon: according to an article here on StreakSmart about a month ago, there is a new model that is due in May (faster dual-core processor, higher res screen); and I think there are some tablets (Dell Mini 7) coming out soon. But neither of those would explain the price drop.

I personally think that it’s because the Xmas shopping season is nearly over, and Dell’s probably sitting with a huge backstock of devices brought on by some truly horrendous marketing.

• The new device (the one that’s coming in May) is rumored to be essentially a “Streak 2”, although I think it was called an Opus One. Same screen size, but higher res.

This is the last time i ever buy a Dell product. Imagine! The device is made by dell, the software is made by google and the network it runs on is AT&T with everyone blaming each other for the delay (incidentally, this is how the UK railway system works)

it is such a well made product but it will be obsolete by the time they pull their fingers out of their own behind!

Lots of phones with Android and ATT (or VZW or whomever) had to wait a long time for 2.2, if they ever got it at all.

• I can soft root with Universal Androot, so yeah. I’ll try Titanium Backup. Awesome, Jenn! Thanks!

• Be sure to post again when it arrives. I’m contemplating returning my white Streak to Best Buy and ordering an unlocked red Streak, but I’m nervous about how long it takes Dell to ship these things.

• The “Opus One”? As in, the penguin from Bloom County?? ;) (I’m old)

• The UK’s railway system is made by Dell, Google and AT&T? No WONDER it’s messed up!! ;) But seriously, are the trains made by one company, the tracks by another and the whole thing run by a third? I’m OT, but honestly curious :)

• Yeah, I thought the same thing when I heard it. I imagine it’s just a code name, but you never know.

• Hehe, cool, glad I wasn’t the only one. Really I don’t mind it though it does seem very close to “Nexus One”.

• Huh, was just looking at the Dell.com on my Streak and they’ve got the old prices listed still. Even when I clicked “full PC site” the prices were all wrong. I confirmed they hadn’t changed back on my laptop only to notice that the est ship dates for all Streaks but the carbon black 16gb got pushed back another day to 1/7/11. :/

This is great! sold my og dell on craigslist for 430, the exact price to buy the unlocked new cherry lol. now the wait is on