Software UpdatesStreakSmart

Dell says Froyo update “hopefully” coming to AT&T-locked Streak next month

Dell-logo Just in case you doubted the legitimacy of the internal emails I posted yesterday about the official Froyo update for AT&T-lock Dell Streaks being delayed until January, Dell has publicly confirmed the date on its Direct2Dell blog.

Well, it's not so much a confirmation as it is an indirect acknowledgment that the update isn't being released this month/year. Dell is careful not to really commit to anything by saying that US owners of the AT&T-locked Streak "will hopefully begin seeing the Froyo update sometime next month."

Notice the words "hopefully" and "sometime" there, which gives the company some semantic leeway in case February rolls around and a lot of you are still looking at Android 1.6 on your Streaks.

I'm still really paranoid about Dell editing and/or deleting Direct2Dell posts, which they've done before, so here's a screencap just in case.

Dell-streak-froyo-jan

Why do I get the feeling that DJ_Steve will come out with a new custom ROM based on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) before AT&T-locked Streaks get Froyo?

[Direct2Dell] Thanks, wrightc88!

52 thoughts on “Dell says Froyo update “hopefully” coming to AT&T-locked Streak next month

• If someone shows me how to update my Streak using a Mac ill do it tonight. We have waited too damn long. Screw ATT. I wanna do DJ Steves build but i am so afraid of messing up my unit. i paid full retail for it. and it was suppose to come unlocked with Froyo. But instead i got a 1.6 unit locked to ATT. When i asked dell to replace the unit they told me they could but there would be a 15% Restocking Fee. Bull. Someone please help me…

ive waited forever to do this but now it seems like the right time. FUCK DELL, FUCK AT&T.

I managed to get an unlock code for my Streak earlier this week. I also paid full price at the US rollout, believing it wasn’t locked to AT&T, or to any carrier. Since I used the code, nothing’s changed on my Streak, including no e-mails from AT&T announcing the availability of FroYo. Forget checking through Dell. I have tried everything Jenn suggested to add FroYo, but not DJ Steve’s process for the same reason Lloyd Peters didn’t: I, too, am fearful of “bricking” the unit. Frustrating.

having a comfortable background in rooting the old WinMo platform, i took the plunge into android with the Streak. My Friends, QDL (repairtool)is your answer. Go to streakdroid and follow the directions. Mac users, i dont know if that applies for you or not. Dont be afraid, have some patience, and get it done. I was ok with 1.6, aside from Angy birds acting laggy and whacky. FROYO kicks Donut’s A$$ in comparison, totally makes the phone more viable. I now have the newest official build just released. Nice and stable so far, no bugs as of yet. Root your Mini, get the QDL app, then update to the newest release, you will not regret it.

• I’m with you here. I’m not too afraid of messing up my phone but whenever I try, something seems to go wrong :/

• Only had my Streak for a few weeks but this has already been driving me up the wall! I can’t seem to flash my Streak anyway so unless someone can help me install DJ_Steve’s rom I’m stuck :/ Why will you not go into flashboot mode stupid phone??

I have heard from many dell representatives that there will not be any update for att streaks, have called customer service at both att and dell and hav a friend working for dell and all of them have informed me that there WILL NEVER be an update for att streaks, yup we are shit outta luck, and my sourcesare legit

• Just cause you get the unlock code from AT&T doesn’t mean your phone is the changed to the group of unlocked phones getting the update. Its still tied to AT&T as far as Dell’s update servers are concerned based on the baseband version. Notice you are still on a baseband ending in 31-US which means you will not get Froyo until its released for all AT&T US Streaks.

• I find it infuriating to read about treatment such as you experienced — clearly they shipped you something other than what you ordered, so the responsibility of replacing it with what you paid for lies solely with them. If they continue to stonewall you, then perhaps it might be worth your while to put a call out for others in your position, and then approach them with a collective voice that you will explore your options for getting the situation rectified. Don’t y’all have some consumer protection legislation on the books down there?

• Seriously doubt what they are telling you. most customer service reps do not know what they are talking about when it comes to possible future updates. Why would dell be even saying their will be an update if they truly are never planning to release one.

There will be an update to Froyo just have to wait. The Streak is in the same boat as the Samsung Captivate/Galaxy S. The Captivate was supposed to get Froyo in Nov, but now that has slipped too.

I wish Google required manufacturers and carriers to update their devices to the latest plain android version and if they want to add a custom layer or UI on top of it then they could offer it as a separate package for users. Giving the carriers and manufacturers the control over when they update the core OS is what is fragmenting the android landscape and causing all this hate and discontent.

Did you reload ClockworkMod Recovery? Found a post in the Forums here mentioning that it disappears between flashes. I repeated the instructions for flashing from o2 2.1 to DJ_Steve’s 2.2 1.4.6, except adding the Clockwork install at the appropriate spot.

Voila! Got to the green & black Clockwork screen, flashed 2.2, waited 15 minutes while staring at the “DELL” logo, pulled the battery, rebooted into Clockwork again, did Factory reset and booted into 2.2, never to look back.

• With such strong commitment coming from Dell on the next release, can you really doubt that it’s a possibility?

Honestly, Dell has it’s second 2.2 release out, and if “hopefully” is the best they can commit to, it’s looking like AT&T is the fly in the ointment.

• Yeah your right they should replace it. But they arent even shipping the unlocked Froyoed sets yet. so its kinda pointless to fight them. i unlocked it because att was nice enough to provide the unlock code. but this unit wont do tmobiles 3G if i ever decide to switch. im just generally pissed at both dell and att. att for delaying the froyo and dell for fucking me around. haha please someone tell me how to froyo my phone with a macbook pro! ill do it! lol

What are you talking about Dammitdell? A lot of us already have the Dell Update on our phones. We just didn’t wait for Dell or AT&T and did it ourselves.

Totally agree with you Spectre51 on the issue with Google MAKING mfg’s require a plain version of Android and then updating it with a skin whenever they can.

I’m talking about att streaks and information ive psrsonally recieved from trusted sources, their words not mine. Obviously I cant confirm this and I’m not saying its even true. I dont find “hopefully updating next month” very convincing, especially when a phone as cheap as the optimus one already has a confirmed update to gingerbread, although no date has been specified.

I have heard this aswell from a Dell customer service rep. but assuming it is just lack of knowledge? Really doesn’t matter cuz I will be flashing djsteve’s build soon, wish Dell employees knew a little more about their own product? Agreed with spectre51 google should release unskinned version

I can’t get pass the second part, my how dv6 windows 7 will not recognize the USB so now I’m stuck on 1.6 f dell

anyone want to buy a two week old Dell streak stock 1.6 at$t with unlock code $350.00

• I wish you were in Canada. I would. I have a Rogers locked one and can’t get it unlocked. just got the return authorization today. It is truly a sad day. Don’t want a rebel sim and the unlock service can’t even do it. Both ATT and Rogers won’t do it either.

what is the bassband on it

• GAUSB1A111732-US This is actually locked to Rogers. I know I tried one of their sims. My packing slip says it’s an ATT unit though. Very confusing.

Agree. Dell said as much in the memo. They are putting the onus on ATT.

• No because I mean I haven’t been able to do ANYTHING to my Streak. It won’t go into fastboot mood and it always says it’s waiting for USB connect. And whenever I try to install Dell PCSuite it doesn’t work. Any suggestions? I would really love to install DJ_Steve’s ROM

I am really thinking to sell off my streak, i had an iphone 3gs got the streak, then got the iphone4. i dont know if i want to hold onto streak any more..it like brand new..1.6 is crap.. and i have already screwed one streak to load a 2.1 o2 version (i can be blamed for it, then got another brand new streak from Dell, and it i lying in my closet doing nothing)

this news made me officially go the bootlg route. The QDLTool worked great for me so far, so far just seeing the ring tone bug thing. probably going to go on to the DJSteve version very soon.

Learned a valuable lesson about jumping to new devices from manufacturers that have no experience in the feild.

Hear hear!! I finally took the plunge after hearing this sad piece of news and losing my patience, and I completely agree with Brian! QDL tool rocks for getting your locked AT&T 31 baseband Streak to Froyo! It works and I got my streak updated in a half an hour!

I got tired of waiting updated my BB-31 1.6 Streak. To O2 1.6 to O2 2.1 to Official Stock Froyo 2.2. Now my BB is 00. No need to wait for ATT. Thanks XDA and Lufc!!!

Same here. This tipped it over the edge for me. QDL tool, 10 minutes later, I’m up on 2.2 without having to wait for at&t (I think it is more them, than Dell). Same thing with my last 3 windows phones. Had to go the XDA cooks route to get it updated.
    The only thing the iphones do well, is because Apple controls the OS, and the carrier doesn’t have a lot of say so.
    I just wish the carriers would get out of the hardware side and just be a stinking provider.

• Send it back to dell. You are well within the 30 day return period.

• Weren’t you the person whining in the other thread about how 1.6 works perfectly for you and you can’t understand why people are complaing about not getting 2.2 update. Here is your quote….”Does your phone work? Mine does, PERFECTLY with 1.6″

• I WAS one of those holding out for the official update as my streak is my only phone. Then when it didn’t happen on the 3rd, I thought this is crazy to be held hostage by att!

A full week now on Steve’s build and loving it! Tried the official build too. Easy to switch back and forth for those uncomfortable with using custom roms.

If you’re fine with 1.6, then great…but if not, dive in! There are multiple good guides to follow and jen has been great compling those together and testing them out!

Guys I owned the Dell streak….I went back to my iphone 4 32gb. The reason is what you are experiencing now with Android/carrier and of course the ecosystem..That’s why Apple will stay in control of the smartphones. They have scheduled updates that everyone will get, they have an over all better ecosystem than anyone around point blank. Can other phones do what the IPhone can do of course but not in the fashion the Iphone does it…Sync music,photos,games etc. its all done seamless with the iphone 4, with android no market place yet, and no true way to sync your items in a organized fashion …They will lose in the end…It’s sad because the Android platform has tons of potential Google doesnt polish anything they do point blank.

Nothing wrong with the iPhone. It’s a great device, and one thing that Apples does well is updates, but I wanted a BIGGER screen, and the iPad doesn’t work as a phone. Maybe iPad 2.0 will, who knows.

CAN ANYONE DO A VIDEO TUTORIAL ON HOW TO GET THE DJ STEVE FROYO BUILD FOR US NON TECH SAVY STREAK OWNERS!!! I mean, really, more delays!! I believe if we can follow a youtube/quicktime video on how to get froyo 2.2 no one would care about Dell/Att crap!!

• I have to say the Streak was the first Dell product I bought. I can definately say I will never buy one again. The hardware is SWEET, but their marketing and software sucks. They dangle the carrot to entice you to buy (update to 2.2 next month, er, I mean the month after the next month…) Thank God for DJ Steve! It took me 2 days to figure out how to upgrade to 2.2 but it was well worth it. Those of you hesitant to take the jump, DO IT! You wont regert it. Just one pointer, have a micro SD reader so when you brick your streak you can take out the SD card and change files!

Attention People: stop bullshittin’ with manufactures. If you are going to pay 300+ dollars for a device then take the time to learn how to work it. For beginners, download the qdl tool from the previous post and use the tutorial. Whats really screwed up is that after you boot up 2.2 from the qdl tool flash you will be prompted for a immediate ota update. How ironic…. 2.2 second helping of fro-yo, 1.6 huge serving of no-go. Attention dell: I get to run gingerbread on my device because I’m a programmer, but most folks dont even know the difference between RAM and ROM let alone how to flash new software and these poor folks cant even get 2.1 because their afraid of software problems. Clean up your act and do your job. Thats why they are paying you.

Hurray! Just installed steves 1.5.0, I love you! This is amazing coming from stock att 1.6. The streak went from my worst phone to best ith this update

Sick and tired of Dell AND AT&T. I’ve been hacking linux machines for years, but have no idea why I wussed out when I bought the Dell Streak on August 13. Maybe because I paid $600 including tax and shipping and was afraid to brick it.

I HAVE ZERO experience with Android. Downloaded the QDL repair tool Friday. Tried it and failed several times that night. Followed Kohawk09’s advice on the drivers and I was running froyo in 10 minutes on Saturday morning. Not complicated. The tool does ALL the work.

Next move? Donate to DJ Steve. And start figuring out how to slap his version on my Streak.

Did the 2.2 update loving it whent the way of QDL TOOL had some problems but nothing too bad… And im new when it comes to puting os updates on… But not a nubie at all give it a go people…. Was going to sell mine but not now this thing is fast :)

• Has anyone Confirmed whether the New Unlocked Streak from dell works with T-mobiles 3G network ?
    I specifically requested the information from the Dell Rep before i ordered, he said that it would . . . But I’m not so sure.

It will only work on TMobile’s Edge, seriously guys, do some searching! Jesus!

• The same thing happened to me but they are replacing it with no re stockin fee. Why should u pay if it’s there fault .

• I have been told by 6 reps that it will work with tmobile 3 G
    What other homework are we suppose to do if the source says it does???

im 90% sure its because of the wrong drivers you have installed on your computer. you need to be using the android fastboot drivers.

It will NOT work, I have a “unlocked” Streak which I unlocked by calling AT&T and its now running 2.2 by using the untouched 2.2 ROM and recently purchased a unlocked white unit which DOES NOT work on TMobile’s 3G’s band. Both only work on Edge, however I use a hacked Clear iSpot and always have WiFi with me!

• Ah ok well where can I get those? And are they for my computer or for my Streak?

• I was also going to wait for the official update until I read this. The manual ROM upgrade was really easy and I regret not doing it sooner. 2.2 is much faster and nicer, and the swype keyboard is awesome after struggling with the tiny keyboard. The whole process only took half a an hour… totally worth ir.

• I just got off the phone with Dell after a 40 minute call. Tons of “im sorry you got the wrong phone” and “im sorry but i cant exchange them because the Serial Number is different” But no help. Im done with ATT. Im done with Dell. Im gonna Flash. Im gonna try it. Ive flashed WinMo Devices before but never an android device. Godspeed. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

• Fuck Dell and AT&T there we are jan 12 jan 13 and still no update even after they promise if i don’t get my update by jan 14 i’m taking the phone back and i’ll never buy Dell again and i will cancell my contract with at&t these two moron conpanys deserve each other Dell is an ediot for fucking the streak release and att is a moron for not releasing the update