AndroidGood and EVO

More Gingerbread ROMS now available for HTC EVO

Evo-gb-roms HTC hasn't even confirmed when and if the EVO 4G will be updated to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) yet, and we've already got a growing selection of Gingerbread ROMs to choose from.

Joining the Evervolv ROM, which has been updated four times since I wrote about it last week and is now at version 1.0.0a11, in the basket of Gingerbread for the EVO are:

• Salvage-Mod, which currently has everything but the camcorder, 4G, and HDMI working
  • eVoKINGS-GB-project_X, which uses version 1.0.0a10 of the Evervolv ROM
  • Stock Gingerbread by bcnice, which is now at beta 4 but doesn't have the front camera, camcorder, 4G, HDMI, and GPS working

I haven't tried them all but from what I've read and seen, I'm going to be keeping my eye on Evervolv. The latest version, which I flashed yesterday, is really coming along nicely. I had a couple of force closes and my WiFi wouldn't connect, though, so I'm back on Froyo.

What about you?

38 thoughts on “More Gingerbread ROMS now available for HTC EVO

Still with stock evo. Seems like rooting is causing somethings not to work properly.

• The font in Evervolv is terrible. I am following Salvage-Mod which is the most AOSP-ish of the lot.

• Vaelpak 3 beta b18 is fantastic

yeah I agree, I’m stock as well.

• Do you say that from experience or from things that you’ve heard? I think most root users will tell you that if you follow directions carefully, everything works the same and in some cases better than stock.

If you are looking for a stable Evo running GB, then there are none better than the Stock GB by bcnice. I have been running this ROM since Christmas Eve with zero issues. I have owned the same Evo since it’s release date after picking it up from BB (preorder) and rooting if only for the free wifi hotspot is the best decision I ever made. GB is the fastest and most effective version of Android I owned, even without Sense it is great, all you have to do is pay $2 for Beautiful Widgets and there goes the Sense Clock.

• Fresh EVO is amazing. Zero problems and completely stable – more so than stock! Love it love it. I recommend it. Can’t wait till there is a Gingerbread version.

Michael, can you pop a link to the Stock GB by bcnice? Thx!

Count me as another fan of rooting. I’ve been running Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo since first reading about it here on Good and EVO and could not be happier. Myn’s released ROMs are completely stable with FULL phone functionality.

I’m presently running his latest RLS5 beta which is as good as all the rest but based on the latest OTA update. I’m also running the new SBC for Netarchy’s 4.2.2 Non-Havs CFS kernel and can say it is living up to all the rave reviews. For those that must post the longest “up time” by literally letting their EVO sit untouched (to prove a point), the battery will last days. In real life use my Evo will easily go more than 24 hours.

• +1 for Myn’s ROM. The most stable custom ROM I’ve. He won’t even release one for everyday use until EVERYTHING is working. Don’t think I’ll flash a Gingerbread Rom until Myn drops his.

I third that. You are missing out on these amazing ROMs, Kernals, Themes, and much, much, more!

Better than stock for me :)

• According to that thread, the GPS isn’t working. That’s a huge no-no for me as I use GPS / Navigation often. I could care less about 4G, wifi, etc.

Didn’t know we moved top RL5..thanks for the tip

Gabe, Have you tried Evio? I just switched from fresh and can’t go back. Give it a try when you can.

Its in the bets right now. Not live yet, but soon!

Nope, and you will probably be waiting a while, unless cm7 figures it out.

I am trying to flash stock gb by bcnice and can’t seem to get past the lock screen. How long should this take? Been going back from “android” screen to lock screen for over 30 min. Any tips?

It is a work in progress, if I am not mistaken you can still use nav even without GPS. something about the cell signal. Again this is the most stable and it is not a custom ROM is it all stock. We are all waiting for bcnice to come back from vacay and update.

Did you erase everything?
    Delete dalvik and regular cache.
    Run caulkin’s format all .zip.
    Run GB beta .zip.
    Run GAPPS.
    Run kernel SFC or Kendroid.
    Then reboot?

Zendroid, sorry.

I did Evervol a11. Love it but I do get the FC on some apps. My wifi doesn’t do anything but scan…scan…scan… The UI of the phone dialer, music player, fonts, app drawer is so sweet. I get bad reception at the house and I need wifi to make my calls. Soo back to XxVirusxX Rom.

from experience and what I have heard. I prefer stock because if something does work i”ll let sprint fix it. I use just about everything on my phone. I am happy the way it sits!

• Wow, I’m surprised there’s no MIUI love in these comments. Been running MIUI since the beginning of November and I can never go back to a Sense ROM again. I tried flashing Fresh the other day, which used to be my favorite, and ended up restoring my MIUI nandroid like an hour later. Nothing compares.

I am however very excited to try Gingerbread, I’m just waiting for all the kinks to be ironed out first. Once it is 100% functional and 100% stable then I will try it out.

Be-careful peeps, not only would bcnice not load on my evo, I was afraid it had bricked it for a few minutes. It just hangs on the “touch the android” screen.

• How often does Sprint fix software issues? They’ll do a hard reset and give you your phone back, or replace it all together. Either way, if you have major issues you can always revert to stock and take it in. But to each his own. Some people just rather not take the leap and thats fine too… but you’re missing out! :-).

titaniumx works really well. its based off of evervolv. ive tried it for a day or two, same as the others no 4g, camcorder and hdmi but seams to run pretty smooth and quick. the blue market is cool, i really like the new dialer and keyboard.

If you’re talking about Gingerbread, yeah, some things might not be working quite right but remember Gingerbread is not even supposed to be released officially EVO for, I don’t know, **MONTHS** from now!!?!? But if you’re talking about current Froyo, root makes everything work BETTER than stock…

Wrong, Rooting is to take off a security lock placed by HTC and Sprint so YOU THE END USER, can’t do what you want to do with your phone. So that defeat the purpose of Android be a Open Operating system.

Changing Roms is what you should said, is making us Rom switchers lose certain features. However us Roms switchers have the benefit of using the latest Android OS. Gingerbread has given me 20hrs on Stock 1500mah, and is really fast in scrolling and the new keyboard SHITS on the HTC keyboard as well the old Android keyboard. Go visit XDA-DEVELOPERS.COM before you talk.

Gotta tag along on this one – blah blah had my Evo since July, etc, always looking to make it faster, more stable, de-Sprint-ify my apps blah blah, eventually rooted out of desperation and tried many roms, kernels etc… bottom line — Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo (with Netarchy kernel) has been the best thing that ever happened my EVO – all functions work – I live in a 4g area and use it every day – my battery life is excellent (when I’m not on 4g battery life is spec-freakin-taclar). ROOT at your own risk. The rewards can be substantial. It’s your choice.

Off-topic question due to your name: why are you here if you feel that way? If I don’t like a site, I stay away from it.

• Ok so I just rooted my phone last night. Wow! As everyone said my phone is ten times better. Can it get even better then this?

Chris! You rock! I just installed Evio. I also tossed on the new splash screen. The default one feels like my retinals start bleeding. So far it is an awesome ROM. Thanks for the comment.

• I am running Cyanogen7 – had no GPS in Navigation, but researched and found a work-around to fix it. You need to flash a Sense ROM, run the fix, then flash back to Cyanogen7. It is a small pain, but well worth the effort.
    Navigation now works flawlessly with GPS on Cyanogen7.