StreakSmart

Official Froyo update for AT&T-locked Dell Streak was not released today

ATT_logo There's a story going around on several Android sites across the web that AT&T Dell Streaks are starting to get the official OTA update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) today.

It isn't true.

I've confirmed with Dell that no units that are SIM-locked to AT&T (i.e., all US Streaks except those that were purchased unlocked) have received the OTA update. The only Streaks receiving the update over-the-air are the unlocked ones; the first phase of the rollout, which began a few weeks ago, is still going on.

So if your baseband ends in 31 and your Streak was purchased locked to AT&T, then you can stop checking for the update. It hasn't been released for you yet.

When will you get it? Dell has previously stated that Streaks purchased from Best Buy, which are also locked to AT&T, would get the update on the December 3rd. Unfortunately, that date has been changed to a more vague "December 2010." And so the wait continues.

31 thoughts on “Official Froyo update for AT&T-locked Dell Streak was not released today

Also in the news today: Generalisimo Franco is still dead.

F##@!#,A&#@!@&,S!*&@#@,!!@#$#!!!!@#@#!!!!, now that I got that out I feel better!!!

• I don’t want anyone to take this wrong I love my phone but why do I feel like I am being push to the back of the line. I brought my phone straight from dell and have been defending my phone all this time saying its comming and its going to be great as my girlfriend says “yeah right” (as she feeds her fish on her home screen)

• You and everyone (including me) is being dicked around so much. basically Dell and At&t are saying if you were so loyal to the phone to buy it the day it came out in the US instead of waiting 4 months to get the next batch of them well you are an idiot. Basically what dell is telling us (all who purchased the streak anywhere within the last 3 to 4 months) is and I quote straight from Michael Dell’s mouth “Go F*** yourself.” Here’s to another stiff un-lubricated shaft in the a** from dell.

• You feel that way because you (and I) are in fact being pushed to the back of the line. :)

But seriously, my guess is that either Dell or AT&T is holding off until the major (known) problems with the 2.2 update are fixed. For the majority of users (read: those who don’t hang out on sites like this one all day), installing an update with a bunch of bugs is worse than waiting a few more weeks.

I spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday with Dell and AT&T. AT&T is a bunch of idiots and couldnt help me at all. All I could get from the guy at Dell is yes they are ready to give it to us but that AT&T hasnt given the final go ahead. I feel like Dell needs to say screw AT&T and release already. All this has caused is a lot of resentment from customers. I never thought I would say this but I miss my iphone being able to upgrade when an update came out not months later

• I see your point. But I would feel better if there wasn’t other phone running 2.2. She has a HTC and they are already talking about a new update.

• My Streak was bought in http://www.dell.com/us in 12th August/10, it was locked to AT&T without contract, with Android 1.6, version 6601, baseband GAUSB1A111231, but I could get update to Android FroYo….then how could I get update to FroYo 2.2 version 11548, baseband GAUSB1A130900????.
    Maurice.

• Oh, I agree. Every day it’s getting harder for me to resist the urge to upgrade to DJ Steve’s Froyo.

Why don’t you guys simply install Froyo? Stephen Hyde has released recently the seventh iteration (1.4.6) on modaco that allows total freedom for your device: tethering (use as a 3g modem for your notebook), hideously fast overclocking with alternating battery saving underclocking of the cpu, 720 dpi video recording etc etc.
    If you are able to upgrade your pc this should be not much different. Its just a different psychology. I did it with my business phone and he streak has jaw dropping performance. True pricking that is irreversible really doesn’t happen. Just follow the guide!

can you link it to me so i can check it out? is it possible just to install that or would i have to install any of the previous versions also?

• Because it’s not, simple to do and people have had problems trying to update

• need help deciding between dj’s and official builds…. really tired of dell, but dont know much about steve’s build…. a little nervouse with the install process, my streak is extremely slow with 1.6 and the keyboard lags like my iphone 3g running ios4… someone convince me to wait for the official build or start installing steve’s…. heard that official has some bugs and not expecting att to fix everything… also have heard that overclocking can cause more strain on the snapdragon can anyone confirm this? Also if steve’s is the way to go a link for the simplest way to install from 1.6 att would be awesome! K thanks bye!

so universal androot is no longer showing up in the market any tips on how to get it? ps i dont have a sideloader

• I pre-ordered my Streak from Dell. For the first month AT&T reps didn’t even know that they were the ‘exclusive’ carrier in the US and would tell me that they didn’t support my device. Now Dell and AT&T pushes their loyal company to back of the line for updates.

I am beginning to feel like a sucker. Perhaps I was stupid for trusting Dell.

You are 100% correct. The process when followed on modaco and xda is actually quite easy, it’s getting the phone to agree with the update.pkg files that is the hard part. Mine refuses to fully load the 02 1.6 update before it just reboots into its stock build, and I’m not exactly keen on going straight to the 2.1 update that was made available since starting with a baseband 31 device and upgrading straight to that has been prone to bricking many streaks from what I’ve read.

Just enable sideloading then. All you have to do is dial *#*#307#*#* and the screen will flash, then go to your app drawer and open the icon titled EMList, scroll to the bottom and tap app_security. then tap “update unknown resource property” to enable it. Then for it to actually work properly you need to go to settings > applications > and tap “unknown source.” then just google search universal androot, download it to your micro sd card and open the .apk file within your phone to install it.

Hope this helps.

thanks missed where it said i dont have to do that to upgrade and now ive realized that winzip expired. any tips on something i can use to unzip the files or somewhere i can download them noncompressed?

it is quite fantastic how dell has made such a great product. I mean we have all purchased it because of the potential we saw in it to evolve with the times. The hardware is amazing in short. But this company that has made such an amazing product, is simply an abomination when it comes to any sort of common sense regarding software and the loyalty of their consumers. Which i feel is becoming more to the product and less to the company who made the product. All hail Jenn and Steve, who if nothing else have listened to their users, and regard them with the same amount of respect.

He is dead, Oh hell!

i think it is a sellinh scheme, cause I know pwoplw that have purchased the 2.2 and they already had the 1.6 because they were so inpatient. A lot of people were waiting for the 2.2 updated version to go on sell and they have been selling lots of them, meanwhile, those that purchased the first wave of them are been placed in the back of the line and pushed around. Bastards!

• Hey Wayne I just downloaded the files I need. I think I am going to try it and see what happends.

• I can give Dell “some” leeway on this phone as they are not historically a phone maker, but I am losing my cool slowly. I’d also suspect AT&T is as useless to deal with for their manufacturing partners as they are for us customers.

That being said, isn’t it a little ridiculous that rumors of an impending Gingerbread release for Nexus S are flying now and we are still waiting for an official Froyo?

I’d like to see AT&T (and all carriers) bow out of the whole software approval/control BS, allowing device makers and owners to do as they wish and keeping everyone happy. How many people switch carriers regularly just to get phones they desire?

I can’t wait for the official 2.2 update… so I can more easily install DJ Steve’s ROM. It’s too difficult for me right now, but I understand it is EASY once you get the official update. After that, Dell and AT&T can both kiss my S.

• Well I felt the same way. I just updated my phone to DJ Steve’s 2.2 and its like a new phone. I can’t believe I waited this long to do it. I live in New Orleans so if you need some help let me know.

• is there a link with step by step insruction to upgrade to DJ Steve 2.2? I have AT&T with 31 baseband.

Thanks!

• Damn Dell!, I hope their market shares collapse soon. Too many delay, why could they just release it already. I have been waiting forever to see the full potential of their stupid outdated product. If there were other 5 inches in the market, I’d would not end up with Dell.