AndroidHacksSoftware UpdatesStreakSmart

White Dell Streak is more than just black Streak in sheep’s clothing

White-streak-qdl

Although it looks like nothing more than a black Dell Streak with a white paint job, the white Streak is slightly different on the inside too. Yes, it still runs Android 1.6 out of the box and has the same components, but everything is not the same.

Ask anyone with a white Streak who tried to manually upgrade to Froyo how it went and then duck when the clenched fist comes speeding toward your face.

I don't know if the culprit has been identified yet but it doesn't really matter because the bottom line is that white AT&T-locked Streaks cannot be upgraded using the same method as black AT&T-locked Streaks. What they need instead is QDLTool, a repair tool that seems to have an incredibly high success rate of unbricking seemingly bricked Streaks and an even higher success rate of—wait for it—getting white Streaks from Android 1.6 directly to Android 2.2. From there, flashing DJ_Steve's 1.4.6 Froyo ROM (or even his new StreaksMI Alpha1 ROM) should be a breeze.

The QDLTool and a video tutorial on how to use it to get your white Streak properly Froyo-ed up can both be found at Streakdroid.

[StreakSmart Forum | MoDaCo]

27 thoughts on “White Dell Streak is more than just black Streak in sheep’s clothing

• Is there a direct 1.6 to 2.2 process for at&t-locked (black) 31 baseband streaks?

• I attempted the 6601 to 8105 process so I could flash 2.1 then 2.2, but I couldn’t get past the baseband-change step. The PC I was using (windows 7) wouldn’t allow me to run the fastboot through the command prompt. After an hour, I gave up haha.

• Check out this thread.

I didn’t use this method, but I see a lot of people are having success with it.

I’m on Windows 7 (64 bit) and I was having problems on some stages flashing. I made it to 2.2 (don’t know exactly how!).
    With flashing, it is almost always a driver problem

• Thanks, Sammy. I’m going to give it a shot right now.

• Jen, please kindly point me to a full instruction on how to flash an O2 1.6 to Steve’s Froyo as I have failed at finding it.

• I used the QDL tool last night to upgrade my black AT&T streak from 1.6 to 2.2 and it was really easy. Longest part was getting the correct drivers loaded on my computer.

• I had a similar problem with my black AT&T locked Streak, it seemed bricked but it just wasn’t mounting the partitions when rebooting. I mounted them using CWM and rebooted. I’m now running Steve’s latest rom, sweet.

As someone who has used both the white and black streaks, the white streak is definitely different. It is much more zippier than the black streak (no hangs when scrolling, etc) and seems to have a better build quality. It just feels more like a “finished product.”

• Thanks for the valuable post Jen! I’ve been stuck on 2.1 (leaked) for a few days, until you brought the QDL tool to my attention. My streak was NOT bricked and if you are running into issues getting 2.2 official, mine was a fastboot “waiting for device” issue, this made all the difference in the world. Such a simple solution. BTW, your blog ROCKS! Big thanks for keeping us in the know.

Did this lastnight http://forum.pocketables.com/showthread.php?t=8163 started with att 16. streak ->02 2.1 -> froyo 1.4.6. It is so much faster but cant seem to change notification tone and ringtone. Also it seems to be draining my battery alot faster. does anybody know why?

• My battery life is not ha good on 2.2 either

wasnt steve’s version supposed to be good for battery life? i was getting better battery life from 1.6. :(

wow! you guys are able to update from locked att 1.6 to dj Steve froyo?! just by following that guide?
    I cannot wait to get home and try this out. finally! our cry has been heard! screw you att! you think you can make us wait for you? dev team are the rulers of updates!

• The hardware in the white Dell Streak is probably just Dell’s way of sharing the “love”. Why should the AT&T-locked early adopters get all of the angst?

where are the files that you need to download I didnt see them on the tutorial page. I might of missed them though. if you could email me at [email protected]. thanks for the help!

You know, dishing out over $500.00 for a supposed awesome phone/tablet, and reading so much how Dell plays games, this is beyond ridiculous, the locked phones ie; AT&T (who doesn’t even advertise or admit to have it, and don’t blame AT&T, Dell advertised this way before)) is really frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not directly to steves version – but the official 2.2 from dell. But its just an easy couple steps from there to steves :)

I think I might have to resort to begging to an old enemy of mine for att to release it….damn…and I thought I’d never have to talk to Sanata Clauws again.

I think it’s just an issue with Froyo in general. Battery life on the newer OS’s hasn’t been as good as the older ones. But I suppose it’s an even trade considering how much more you can do with Froyo and how much faster it is.

do you have to root ur phone first? cuz i have everything set up but my streak get stuck on dell logo. so im thinking maybe is cuz my phone is not rooted? thanks

• When I hold the “volume up” button and plug in the usb, my phone doesn’t show up under “other devices”, instead it says it’s a “usb human interface device”.

windows vista 64bit.

thoughts?

Ken did you use 2.2 package that you downloaded previously or were you able to use OTA? I will be trying the 2.2 upgrade later on, but i will be using the upgrade path 1.6 to O2 1.6 and then OTA to the official 2.2. thanks in advance. cheers!

• PLEASE LIST WHAT ARE THE DRIVERS I HAVE BEEN BANGING MY HEAD AND COULD USE THE HELP PLEASE