AndroidAppleHacksTablets

Awesome DIY wall mount from dim3m

This is far from news, being from last May/June and all, but good content is often timeless. Modder dim3m created an awesome flexible iPad wall mount using various hardware store items and an existing monitor arm. He later added to it and have released videos showing speakers versions, a steering wheel version and some other goodies. The above video is the basic version, so make sure to check out his website for all the later videos he’s posted about his projects. He’s using an iPad, but this would work equally well with anything else flat.

Andreas Ødegård

Andreas Ødegård is more interested in aftermarket (and user created) software and hardware than chasing the latest gadgets. His day job as a teacher keeps him interested in education tech and takes up most of his time.

19 thoughts on “Awesome DIY wall mount from dim3m

• While I wouldn’t ever really have a use for a mount like that, I’d absolutely love to have an ability to create something that cool. Great skill and imagination involved there.

• I was thinking the same thing. I never went the DIY route, I think some people just don’t have it in them. I’m one of those people for sure.

• Same. I’m always inspired by the great DIY stuff out there (especially as I frequent Lifehacker), but never really get far enough. I do little things on my own, just not massive projects that others did the same.

Maybe as a springboard though ;)

• Wow! Can’t believe I haven’t seen this before. Great stuff.

Thats pretty cool, now if only it held something nicer

• …anythingbutipads? :)

• Hopefully the arm is strong enough so that the touch controls can be used in midair.

This is pretty creative and cool. Thanks for sharing!

Not a bad idea and this guy has tools too..
    The arm that holds it by its bed is like a robot stuck in the wall. :-D
    Secondly it moves smoothly but if he touch it doesn’t it move back?

That’s pretty neat!

I’ve always liked DIY for any sort of gadget.

It is like watching TV at the hospital.

I want Ipads in every hospital instead TV. :-)

• That’s awesome. Could be really useful in a office type situation.
    Wish I had the where with all and motivation to build something like that.

why buying an ipad for something like this? Ok, why should you buy an ipad at all, but i think this just makes no sense at all…
    I wouldn’t buy a extremly thin handy, just to put it into a case.

I can imagine some really cool implementations. If you have a shitton of money to do this, a nice thing to do would be to hook up your sound system around the house to a central console and use the iPad mounted inconspicuously on the wall to control it. Sorta like a little mini DJ console. Then again, it’d probably be 10x cheaper to just build an HTPC.

Wow that guy is talented.

(just wondering- does this mean that he uses his ipad as a tv?)

Great job. My version of the thing isn’t that functional. I have to slide it in the case and then connect chargers and stuff and the arm i have gets pushed back every time i touch the pad. However I think its a must do for anyone who wants to lie on his bed and watch a movie or use his tablet. Just the arm must really good quality…